Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST replacement? $30k budget

Hi guys,

I've had my 2015 FiST for 8 years and currently has about 75k miles. It's my daily driver and has been very reliable and lots of fun to drive as the day I bought it.

However, the stiff ride has finally worn me out and now considering a change for something with a more comfortable ride, automatic transmission but still have a high fun factor. Budget is $30k and priorities are fun to drive, decent comfort, practical and reliable. I am considering the following:

2022+ Elantra N
2022+ Kona N
2018+ Kia Stinger V6
2008+ Lexus IS-F

Does anyone have experience with any of the cars on my list?

Thanks

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Test drove an Elantra N without the salesman. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. My cousin has a stinger and it’s great for highway cruising and is fun enough in the twisties, but nowhere near as engaging.

We looked hard at a stinger for the wife, test drove these multiple times. Really liked the car overall, but got put off by all the engine issues/failure Hyundai/Kia are having recently. Given the large backlog of replacements at our local dealer, it was too much of a wild card for us.

Same applies to their other product lines too.

The little N hatchback looks fun.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You lost the forum at Automatic Transmission and fun to drive :p
While I generally agree, I’ve had a ton of fun driving some automatics. Especially SUVs that are way faster and more nimble than they should be, like the X5M. Granted that’s a 6 figure car so it better be good.

Ford EDGE ST with the ST big brake package is solid for the price range used.

Wife really likes hers. It is a good drive for what it is. Plenty of power, plenty of room, etc. for a daily ride.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I've actually driven all of them. Here are my thoughts:

2022+ Elantra N - I really really enjoyed this car. Seriously considered buying one before I found my GR Corolla, but I couldn't get over the terrible looks. Decent interior, decent acceleration, and the chassis is very good and dynamically capable. For a do-it-all car that can be fun on your commute and can occasionally do a track day or autocross, this one takes the cake for me.

2022+ Kona N - Pretty similar to the Elantra N, but in a baby SUV form. I didn't think it was more practical personally than the EN, so I shied away from it. Dynamically, it isn't as good either.

2018+ Kia Stinger V6 - I thought these punch above their weight in the luxury and speed standpoint. You got a lot of bang for your buck here, but generally, resale value is pretty poor and the insurance is high these days. Didn't think it was a very exciting chassis to toss around, but for a highway GT cruiser, this is pretty good. I personally wouldn't buy one since I think there are better cars in this space (2 series comes to mind), but they're not bad. Kind of a bargain these days as their market value has gone down .

2008+ Lexus IS-F - That V8 is something special. One of my favorite engines of all time. The transmission however, is not. It shows its age and shifts pretty poorly IMO. Might have been good at the time, but in today's world it has aged. Interior is also very meh. These are holding their value really well, which is a good and bad thing. Good because you wont lose a lot of value, bad because they are expensive for what you get IMO. I would try to get a 2011+ since that is the mid model update, and 2010+ get LSD. They should hold value better over the long run.

For me I'd rank them, in order of what I'd buy:

1) EN
2) Lexus ISF
3+4 (tie) - Kona + Stinger

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #8
You lost the forum at Automatic Transmission and fun to drive :p
Agreed.

However, part of my sales pitch for the replacement is getting a car my wife can drive in an emergency since she cannot drive a manual transmission. Otherwise, a higher mileage 2017 Civic Type R would be on the list as well.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #9
I've actually driven all of them. Here are my thoughts:

2022+ Elantra N - I really really enjoyed this car. Seriously considered buying one before I found my GR Corolla, but I couldn't get over the terrible looks. Decent interior, decent acceleration, and the chassis is very good and dynamically capable. For a do-it-all car that can be fun on your commute and can occasionally do a track day or autocross, this one takes the cake for me.

2022+ Kona N - Pretty similar to the Elantra N, but in a baby SUV form. I didn't think it was more practical personally than the EN, so I shied away from it. Dynamically, it isn't as good either.

2018+ Kia Stinger V6 - I thought these punch above their weight in the luxury and speed standpoint. You got a lot of bang for your buck here, but generally, resale value is pretty poor and the insurance is high these days. Didn't think it was a very exciting chassis to toss around, but for a highway GT cruiser, this is pretty good. I personally wouldn't buy one since I think there are better cars in this space (2 series comes to mind), but they're not bad. Kind of a bargain these days as their market value has gone down .

2008+ Lexus IS-F - That V8 is something special. One of my favorite engines of all time. The transmission however, is not. It shows its age and shifts pretty poorly IMO. Might have been good at the time, but in today's world it has aged. Interior is also very meh. These are holding their value really well, which is a good and bad thing. Good because you wont lose a lot of value, bad because they are expensive for what you get IMO. I would try to get a 2011+ since that is the mid model update, and 2010+ get LSD. They should hold value better over the long run.

For me I'd rank them, in order of what I'd buy:

1) EN
2) Lexus ISF
3+4 (tie) - Kona + Stinger
Thanks for the detailed summary on all 4 candidates!

I also agree on the 11+ ISF due to the retuned suspension/LSD that is supposed to be more compliant and perform better at the same time. However, it would have to have 120k+ miles to fall into my budget.

The reason I was considering the Kona N as well is because they appear to lose more value used versus the Elantra N. I will focus on the Elantra!

Last edited:

ronmcdon

I'd look into a used Golf R too. Never actually drove one but my mother leased an audi TT-S I think between 2015-18 which iirc has a very similar awd drivetrain and engine. Its super comfortable and engaging to drive with the well sorted out DSG. maybe a mk7 Gti or Golf R one might be able to find a reasonable value. Mk7s are a lot nicer looking inside out imo. Some mk7 Golf R's had some awesome looking exterior colors.

If it were me, I would love to get a veloster N if it had to be an auto. I would be surprised if one could get a lower mileage model for under 30k, whether it be the veloster, elantra or kona n given how overinflated used cars are costing.

I actually did get a used 19 civic si. for better or worse, no automatic, but it does do all the things like fun to drive, comfortable (to me at least). Also like that I can squeeze out 33ish mpg and apparently some like to brag they get close to 40mpg out of the thing. I really should have traded my fiesta but did not have the heart and common sense to do so.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
A used SHO, with the performance package and a tune. I liked mine a lot and it handled very well with that package, even though it is a larger car. Ran 13.5 quarter miles stock and 12s tuned, plus was a total highway cruiser.
Remember having a little fun with one from the stop light in the FiST a few years ago. The SHO accelerates from the light at moderate pace and after several seconds apparently noticed I was behind him. Accelerates a little faster and after a few more seconds notices I'm still there. Then he of course adds more throttle and quickly begins jogging off from my stock FiST LoL. He rapidly approaches the next red light where a cop was sitting in the oncoming lane so to divert attention I temporarily abort normal braking for the light and stop more abruptly. 😄

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #17
I'd look into a used Golf R too. Never actually drove one but my mother leased an audi TT-S I think between 2015-18 which iirc has a very similar awd drivetrain and engine. Its super comfortable and engaging to drive with the well sorted out DSG. maybe a mk7 Gti or Golf R one might be able to find a reasonable value. Mk7s are a lot nicer looking inside out imo. Some mk7 Golf R's had some awesome looking exterior colors.

If it were me, I would love to get a veloster N if it had to be an auto. I would be surprised if one could get a lower mileage model for under 30k, whether it be the veloster, elantra or kona n given how overinflated used cars are costing.

I actually did get a used 19 civic si. for better or worse, no automatic, but it does do all the things like fun to drive, comfortable (to me at least). Also like that I can squeeze out 33ish mpg and apparently some like to brag they get close to 40mpg out of the thing. I really should have traded my fiesta but did not have the heart and common sense to do so.
under $30k.

At that price, a GTI would fit the bil
Any reason why Golf R and S3 aren't on your list?
The reason these didn't make my list was concerns of reliability.

Are modern VW/Audi's reliable?

CSM

1000 Post Club

Better than they were. EA888 is a pretty stout motor. The only failure point I hear about is that the water pump likes to start leaking around 40-60k miles, but if you get a car with a powertrain warranty (CPO) that's not a big issue. Or find one where it was already replaced with an updated unit.

S3 with a simple APR Plus tune (maintains a powertrain warranty) nets like a 70hp gain and runs low 12s. They're bonkers fast.

Several friends with Audis...all with various cooling problems/failures. Radiators popped, elbow cracked, thermostat failed, etc.

How many old audi do you see driving around? Any over 7 years? Might want to think about that.

I have a 2017 Alltrack with nearly 100k miles. Some little warranty stuff at the beginning when the previous owners had it, and water getting in through the tail light. TBH it’s had the same amount of repairs/work as the fiesta, maybe marginally more. But so far has been great. There is some small amounts of dripping oil that I noticed the other day. I have to check it out for sure, but I believe it’s from me spilling oil when I did the oil change.