Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fix for Sagging Shelf?

SrsBsns

I saw the sticker shelf thread and thought that was pretty cool, but before I even think about doing something like that, I need to fix my shelf first.

Mine sags in the middle, even when hung properly.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I thought about screwing a piece of flat stock aluminum on the underside for support.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I saw the sticker shelf thread and thought that was pretty cool, but before I even think about doing something like that, I need to fix my shelf first.

Mine sags in the middle, even when hung properly.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
A strip of MDF board glued.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yeah that shelf....you'd need a very thick piece of wood, the thin luan I used bent right with the shelf so I made a little spacer instead so even though the shelf is bowed the insert is not, it sits on a spacer between it and the shelf.

The aluminum would be too flexible too I think. A piece of rebar? Hahahaha.

Honestly that shelf is useless, what could fit on there and not collapse it? A box of tissues maybe. Plus with all the zipping around I do, anything put on that shelf would fly off.

Except for my insert, which is attached!!!!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It's more of a cover than a shelf. The only thing I store on it is my fishing rod. Aluminum sheet would be great if it had some dimples or beads rolled in it for strength.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #9
Yeah that shelf....you'd need a very thick piece of wood, the thin luan I used bent right with the shelf so I made a little spacer instead so even though the shelf is bowed the insert is not, it sits on a spacer between it and the shelf.

The aluminum would be too flexible too I think. A piece of rebar? Hahahaha.

Honestly that shelf is useless, what could fit on there and not collapse it? A box of tissues maybe. Plus with all the zipping around I do, anything put on that shelf would fly off.

Except for my insert, which is attached!!!!
That's what I was worried about too.

I think I'm going to take a trip to Lowes this weekend and see if I can find a solution to play with.

I know that the shelf is more of a cover than anything else, but I like the way it looks back there with the seats up. I don't put anything on it, but it bugs me when I see it drooping all the time.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
When I had my 500 Abarth, we chatted about putting a piece of 90* angle aluminum across the back. You could glue it, but it might be worth riveting or bolts/nuts/washers. Sure you'd see it, but a single strip would be strong AF and still light. Personally, mine was riveted, just a right angle bar across the cover on the flat edge closest to the seats and I think 8 rivets? Since it was right angle it inherently added rigidity.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #12
When I had my 500 Abarth, we chatted about putting a piece of 90* angle aluminum across the back. You could glue it, but it might be worth riveting or bolts/nuts/washers. Sure you'd see it, but a single strip would be strong AF and still light. Personally, mine was riveted, just a right angle bar across the cover on the flat edge closest to the seats and I think 8 rivets? Since it was right angle it inherently added rigidity.
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It is indeed not a shelf, but a cargo cover. I wouldn't put anything on it - under hard braking, shit is liable to slide right off into the cabin.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I agree with the other cover posters. The "shelf" is literally just a privacy cover. Otherwise, a hatchback's entire contents would be exposed all the time.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
What [MENTION=1668]haste[/MENTION] said. My old one was sagging just from the hot Summers. It also gets stretched when temporarily stored under the floor after folding down the rear seats. It's of insufficient material or design. The plastic left/driver side "latch/hinge" pulled off of the trunk privacy cover. (apparently should be pulled off by grabbing the plastic piece itself) It was replaced under warranty but I now no longer bother "latching" it down. I just set it on top of the hinge.

[MENTION=8822]Clit_Beastwood[/MENTION], reminded me that I had wanted to do that...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...m=QBILPG&sp=-1&pq=angled+aluminum&sc=8-15&sk=
These are materials on-hand for me. Just a small stainless screw and nut should serve as a good fastener. The larger the washer on top, the better. For those who are wanting to, this still will not allow you to store anything on top. The angle will just keep it from sagging in the middle. But the ends where the cover rests, are still of this insufficiently soft and pliable materials; not capable of supporting any weight. So the lighter and smaller the aluminum angle, the better.

Wood over time, is going to absorb humidity and stretch; slowly warp with the repeated heat cycling. Treated wood is much more resistant to that. But wood is heavy.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I Have been pondering doing some Fiberglass work and creating a new shelf.....possibly to sell and make different designs/ colors etc. ....With it being so cold still here in Mn it wouldn't happen till Spring.[party] So we will see.....

Here is my solution to the sagging shelf (only sagging near the hatch opening)

I used two pieces of aluminum (.75in flat stock for the top, and .75in L-channel on the bottom)

I used a bench vice to curve the aluminum to fit the curve of the privacy shelf (just lightly clamped and then pushed on it every 6in down the length to get it to match). I just matched the curve of the two pieces together so they fit on top of each other.

I clamped the two pieces together and drilled a pop rivet hole every 6in or so everything would align when assembled,

I then painted the top piece black so it would hide in the hatch a bit better.

finally I took the two drilled pieces of aluminum and laid it on top of the hatch cover and drilled through the privacy shelf and pop riveted it in place

I cant figure out how to get pics to upload, so here is an imgur link with 3 pics of the fix https://imgur.com/a/ZZlIXdo

I Have been pondering doing some Fiberglass work and creating a new shelf.....possibly to sell and make different designs/ colors etc. ....With it being so cold still here in Mn it wouldn't happen till Spring.[party] So we will see.....
Depending on your end result and cost, I would be interested in this. I was just thinking about the same thing, but I do not have any experience working with fiberglass and don't have a whole lot of time to mess with it. If you decide to do it, keep us updated.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] - I think the trick to making that fiberglass shelf, will be in getting the time down to a level where the selling costs and profit will be worth it for both parties. If it takes too long to make the product, you'll have to sell at too high a price; and not as many people will buy. Still, some income is better than none. We'll stay tuned... [thumb]