Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FMIC charge pipe(s) blew off thread

jeff

2000 Post Club
This happened to me yesterday and I've read of it happening randomly around the forum here...curious of others' experiences - if your charge pipe(s) have blown off...

1, stock or upgraded turbo at the time?
2, stock pipes blew off or aftermarket pipes blew off?
3, which pipe (hot or cold) and at which connection (at intercooler or at turbo or in between) did it blow off?
4, did you resolve it by tightening clamps or adding clamps or upgrading to aftermarket pipes?

I appreciate the feedback...I've added clamps to my hot side pipe and am considering getting a CP-E or other hard charge pipe set. Wondering if just clamps on the stocker will be enough long term, I'm on a budget. Looking for 411, thanks.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Original cyborg turbo
Cobb hot side pipe
T bolt clamps
Would pop off every so often at the turbo.

Big turbo set up
Custom DHM hot side pipe
T bolt clamps
Never pops off

I still run OEM cold side pipe and it's never given me an issue
Those are my experiences with charge pipes

koozy

3000 Post Club
unless you plan on running a custom turbo set up, meth or bov on the charge pipes, they're a waste and not needed. Aftermarket couplers are a waste too.

harder motor mounts/bushings will help the motor from moving and allowing the coupler to work of the pipe. Hair spray on the pipes, better clamps or double clamping may help.

my pipes have never blown off. I also have a big turbo set up, custom DHM hot side pipe with T bolt clamps, OEM cold side pipe with T bolt clamps.

My hot side charge pipe blew off the intercooler this weekend at the track. I'm on stock turbo w/ Tune+ protune. I'd just had the intercooler installed so I think that it was a one off due to the clamp not being tight enough. I reattached it and snugged it up and it wasn't a problem the rest of the time. Aftermarket pipes seem like wasted money IMO.

codestp202

Stock turbo, MTC intercooler, Stock hot / cold pipes. I've had the hot pipe blow off so many times in autox/on track. I'm now running two hose clamps and it still gets ripped off sometimes. I'm so sick and tired of it. It seems like if I tighten the hose clamps any more, I'll destroy the hose.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Are you tightening with a screwdriver or a ratchet/wrench?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

codestp202

Are you tightening with a screwdriver or a ratchet/wrench?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ratchet. They are on there damn tight. I need the hose to be like 1/2" longer. I even loosed the other hoses and took a couple centimeters out of each length to make the hose a bit longer that attaches to the intercooler.

1, stock or upgraded turbo at the time?
Upgrade Turbo
2, stock pipes blew off or aftermarket pipes blew off?
Stock Pipes
3, which pipe (hot or cold) and at which connection (at intercooler or at turbo or in between) did it blow off?
Between intercooler and throttle body.
4, did you resolve it by tightening clamps or adding clamps or upgrading to aftermarket pipes?
Re-tightened clamp.

This happened right after the dealership had replaced my transmission. I am guessing they just never tightened the clamp down. After putting it back on the car ran 36psi on a GTX2867r without issue.