Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS Brake Duct / Air Guide Cooling System (PICS)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
FYI...

Mountune recently posted some pics detailing their new Focus RS Brake Duct Cooling System....

https://www.facebook.com/MOUNTUNE-LLC-723803887634561/?fref=photo
[HR][/HR]
"Focus RS - Brake cooling duct detail. Here are a few shots of the functional front brake cooling ducts on the RS. Fresh air enters through the functional grill next to each fog lamp. The fresh air is then routed through a plastic duct and exits in the wheel well through a slot in the inner liner. There is also an air guide attached to lower control arm to guide fresh cool air to the caliper and brake disc. The yellow arrows point out the specific features." - Mountune

FORS Brake Duct 1.jpg

FORS Brake Duct 2.jpg

FORS Brake Duct 3.jpg

Lower Air Guide
FORS Brake Duct Air Guide 4.jpg

Wheel brake Focus RS.jpg

GAbOS

Man, I so dig functional cars from the factory! The layout of my 2010 Mitsu was spectacular and this appears to be even better than it.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do this on our cars, just make new housings around the fog lights and run ducts, then cut a hole in the wheel liner. Boomba already makes the deflectors that attach to the A-Arm. Maybe Velossa tech can 3D print the ducts? shouldn't be much different than the intake snorkel they make.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I love seeing such things from manfs as well:)

Should be good for most applications but for those that track the car it might not be enough depending on how hard they use the brakes, ambient temp, track layout, etc....

I had a similar setup on a car and no room to use hoses all the way back full race type backing plates but instead of a angled sheet or even with lips I used some aluminum tubing bends, flared the inlet, outlet right at the best place for air to help cool the brakes, made brackets and bolted them on. It helped hugely compared to the stock setup and severely cracking the rotors the track day before.

Siestarider

Looks great in theory, I would have to see some data to believe it helps cool brakes on the track. Wheel wells are turbulent places, and that is a big gap to bridge with high pressure air.

But a functional attempt like this is better than any other OEM front brake cooling I have seen. I have wondered what the vertical slits in our front wheel liners are for, maybe they are doing something useful to brake cooling?