Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS Now Confirmed for America

razorlab

1000 Post Club
They built an old Evo "RS". I was in love with it. $27k, no radio, no AC, one windshield wiper, 5-speed instead of the 6-speed. I've never seen one.
The RS in the USA had AC and had 5 speed like the Evo GSR. MR is the 6spd. It had manual windows, more spartan interior and no sound deadening and black door handles with no spoiler. It had two windshield wipers like all cars do. ;)

They are out and about but are obviously more rare. They didn't sell well. They where less than 27k. The Evo GSR at the time was that much. The RS was about 60-80lbs lighter than the GSR. RS was offered in the USA only in 2004-2006.

The 2004 RS (first year in USA) had front LSD and aluminum roof where the GSR did not. 2005 introduced ACD, with front LSD for ALL models and Aluminum roof for only RS and the then just introduced MR with 6 speed, Bilstein suspension and forged BBS wheels.

Aluminum roofs became standard on all Evos starting with the Evo 10 in 2008, unless you got the sunroof option, which has a normal steel roof.

I had two BMW E30 325iXs and they were a blast. Right around 3000 lbs, 170hp and AWD . It's a shame safety regulations mess everything up, that and people wanting power seats/heated mirrors/8" infotainment screens in every car.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I had two BMW E30 325iXs and they were a blast. Right around 3000 lbs, 170hp and AWD . It's a shame safety regulations mess everything up, that and people wanting power seats/heated mirrors/8" infotainment screens in every car.

Loved those, especially since they came with fender flares.

Loved those, especially since they came with fender flares.
The AWD was surprisingly reliable (viscous coupling) as long as nobody ever towed your car on two wheels it was hard to break. It had VC in the rear and VC in the transfer case, which means 3 wheels being driven and a lot of traction, plus it was biased toward the rear wheels which made driving sideways on dirt/snow a blast and very predictable.

Jalopnik posted an old video of one today: http://jalopnik.com/remember-the-awd-bmw-e30-1669854267

Plus unlike most AWD cars, the engine is mounted in the proper direction ;)

Chris G

Looking forward to more info... although I don't see myself bailing on my FiST for this. :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
There is a point of diminishing returns in all things. I have built all sorts of cars up to full race Vettes, highly modded street ones, AWD, FWD, RWD and my funnest times have always been in low weight, moderate power cars driving the piss out of them, I am sticking with my FiST:)

I found AWD the least fun.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I wouldve been interested if it were 3 doors. Bought my FiST because of its size, weight and power. Not interested in a station wagon.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I wouldve been interested if it were 3 doors. Bought my FiST because of its size, weight and power. Not interested in a station wagon.

My wife wanted the FoST, I wanted the FiST. The FoST was to long and to heavy for our toyhauler trailer so the FiST won that one and now she loves it, does not want me to take it out in the snow here were they use a ton of salt:)

felopr

Agreed. Like I tell my focus friends... "I can make an extra 50whp, you can't lose 450-500lbs".

Best case EVER, the focus RS will only gain 200lbs. Problem with that is... That will make it ecoboost mustang weight, lol.

Its price vs the golf R is going to be critical for sales. I'm not sure which I'd buy... But the ford better bring it, because that golf R has a DSG.
The Golf R? no offense to VW but i rather ford aims for a more challenging contender *looking at the STI*

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
The Golf R? no offense to VW but i rather ford aims for a more challenging contender *looking at the STI*
STi needs to bring a hatch back them as it sits now it is just a 4 door lump with a big wing... nothing bad in that just not a hot hatch...

felopr

STi needs to bring a hatch back them as it sits now it is just a 4 door lump with a big wing... nothing bad in that just not a hot hatch...
well that is true, i am pretty sure subaru will hear it since the hatback from 08+ was so good recieved and when 2014 came, people were booing subaru for not bringing it back.
They will surely take action so they can take a slice of the pie that is booming from hot hatches all around the world imo, time will tell

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
well that is true, i am pretty sure subaru will hear it since the hatback from 08+ was so good recieved and when 2014 came, people were booing subaru for not bringing it back.
They will surely take action so they can take a slice of the pie that is booming from hot hatches all around the world imo, time will tell
Yup time will tell I always like the scooby hatch and was ticked when they killed it ... maybe someday :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree on the Suby hatch, I had a Forester instead as needed more room but their hatch always looked better than their sedans to me and more practical and the added weight can actually help balance out the handling since the engine is so far forward.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
i would love to get ahold of a RS as being in canada with the amount of winter we can get AWD would be fun.
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION], you said you can add 50hp but not lose 450-500lbs, but how do you get all the power to the ground while using all of it? you can always add 100-300 hp to the 2.3l and have the awd to plant it.

just tossing out thoughts. not trying to attack you Sour. just conversation.
also am still planning to talk to you about the turbo upgrade from you when the time is right.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Not attacking me, lol. An LSD and real tires would put my 233whp down great ( or slicks at the track ). The comment was actually at the focus ST, not the RS so much. The RS will be 550-600+ heavier than a fist. Being it has the 2.3L and awd means it will have the power, the displacement to spool a real turbo and still be ok on the street, and asd means grip. Its only short coming will be crazy money.

So the power vs weight thing is aimmed at Focus ST, not the RS. The focus ST fairs worse than us because way better torque and extra weight means... Tires have to cope. :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The RS is not confirmed to be AWD yet as well, if so, even more weight.

Weight is the mortal enemy of all things performance, modern engineering has produced some incredibly fast heavy cars but there is always a price to pay, most are just not as fun to drive as a much lower weight quick car nearly all the time.

Cars that are bigger, heavier, faster, not many places you can actually use them to full potential, that is why the FiST is so greatly loved, because you can use it far more often and at more reasonable speeds.

Of course there are times when that bigger fast car is going to be more fun, sometimes more comfortable, even more practical.

When I want big, fast, and surprisingly good(not great) handling I drive my Duramax dually:)

TheStig

The RS is not confirmed to be AWD yet as well, if so, even more weight.

Weight is the mortal enemy of all things performance, modern engineering has produced some incredibly fast heavy cars but there is always a price to pay, most are just not as fun to drive as a much lower weight quick car nearly all the time.

Cars that are bigger, heavier, faster, not many places you can actually use them to full potential, that is why the FiST is so greatly loved, because you can use it far more often and at more reasonable speeds.

Of course there are times when that bigger fast car is going to be more fun, sometimes more comfortable, even more practical.

When I want big, fast, and surprisingly good(not great) handling I drive my Duramax dually:)
I was with you until the Duramax comment, we have a 2013 and a 2009 at my work that i drive often, plus my dad owns a 2006 Duramax 2500 aswell. They do not handle well whatsoever, perhaps compared to other 2500-3500 size trucks, but not good.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I was kidding a bit about the dually but they can be pretty good if setup right. None of mine had stock suspension, all made to ride, handle and tow better, meaning not lifted either and the best tires I could put on, meaning not mudders....of course nothing like a well setup car but some of the newer porker cars I have driven just felt big and fat and just not as fun as the FiST:)