Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford is collecting GPS data from cars, but . . . ?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed all the Transcore rfid readers at many intersections and spaced every 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the highways? They are the little white square or rectangular "pads" on light polls or over intersections pointed slightly down at traffic. Despite the official Dept of Transportation "jib-jab" (which is downright ridiculous *IF* you know how these systems work), anyone who knows how rfid works, will realize you need an rfid SIGNAL for those antennae(or receivers) to work. Most people are oblivious. They are put up in the early morning hours by "security" contractor trucks (usually white trucks with a lift bucket).

In the semi trucks, we have Pre-Pass for bypassing weigh stations and ports of entry. Send vehicle data to DOT about weight, registration, ect... flashes and beeps a red or green light. There are also the Toll Roads Easy Pass, I-Pass...

Can they track our Sync? Is there an RFID chip in our cars?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
In the semi trucks, we have Pre-Pass for bypassing weigh stations and ports of entry. Send vehicle data to DOT about weight, registration, ect... flashes and beeps a red or green light. There are also the Toll Roads Easy Pass, I-Pass...

Can they track our Sync? Is there an RFID chip in our cars?
Yeah, this is something VERY different... [wink] There has been some speculation that rfid technology has been added to registration stickers. Either they plan to implement it in the future (with or without our consent) or they already have. Most people don't know that there is an rfid chip in every new U.S. passport issued since 2003. Federal govt has also been pushing the "Real ID Act" which would require rfid chip technology being used in drivers licenses nationwide (It's a national ID card). Like I've said elsewhere, this kind of technology is RIPE for abuse.

I don't know if any of you have read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow but it deals with the RFID issue and how a gov't can and will use technology to control it's citizens. An informed electorate is the only defense against a tyrannical gov't....and guns lol

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm getting my GPS attached to a lojack device to allow the police to track my car if its stolen. I use a device called a fastpass, which is RFID to travel the diamond lanes. I personally do not think the government is interested in my comings and goings. Wrap your FiST in aluminum foil if you want to block RFID signals. That wouldn't look strange!

I'm getting my GPS attached to a lojack device to allow the police to track my car if its stolen. I use a device called a fastpass, which is RFID to travel the diamond lanes. I personally do not think the government is interested in my comings and goings. Wrap your FiST in aluminum foil if you want to block RFID signals. That wouldn't look strange!
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"....I can't remember where I saw this quote but I thought it was funny and sad at the same time

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
That assumes I'm inportant enough, which I'm not. It also supposes that our government is smart enough, which they're not. I am vigilant, but not paranoid. Remember just about everyone has a smart phone, and your movements can be tracked, so we should have been worried when gps was installed in our phones, which I'm not. I'm worried about the US being #25-28 in the world when it comes to math skills.

That assumes I'm inportant enough, which I'm not. It also supposes that our government is smart enough, which they're not. I am vigilant, but not paranoid. Remember just about everyone has a smart phone, and your movements can be tracked, so we should have been worried when gps was installed in our phones, which I'm not. I'm worried about the US being #25-28 in the world when it comes to math skills.
Yes, no doubt we voluntarily signed up to be tracked when we bought cell phones...but when we hear the NSA has recorded and saved all digital transmissions over how many years has to make anyone feel a little uneasy. Especially when they lied about spying domestically. So what the hell do they want with all this info anyway? There are things going on we have no idea about. And Obama said there was going to be transparency...puhleez! As far as math skills go, if you look at those stats from a socio-economic standpoint, the stats are different depending on what side of the scale you're on. Go to a poor village in any country and they will have appalling math skills. Just sayin'

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
There are many factors... your political or religious views, even what you do for a living. If you question authority or are outspoken against "abuses", then you will be put on some watch list or no fly list (or even targeted by the IRS). The govt data mines information not because of the individual (unless they deem you a threat in some way). That's why I am wholly against ACA. Doctors can now ask questions about you that have nothing to do with your health and ALL health info about you goes into a federal database. Read the ACA in it's entirety. You'll be one of the very few that have. LOL. Honestly, if you know real history, when govt becomes paranoid of their own citizens, there's usually a REALLY good reason why... and that reason is not "good". [paranoid] Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. According to our founding documents, power is SUPPOSED to be inherent to the people, not with govt. The more rights we give up, the more power the rulers have over the ruled and the more corrupt they become. I'm a realist. I believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see with my own eyes. lol

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #14
I don't believe anything pel hears, either. Of course, he doesn't believe that, since he's only hearing it from me here. . . .