Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Fools Errand" - STH build Update

Here is an update on going from HS to STH now that most of the affordable mods are done. The mods, thanks to advice on this forum, Swift Springs, camber bolts, 16x7.5 wheels (had them), and two point traction bar, Cobb OTS Stage 1.
Subjective - wow really feels a lot better on the course, flatter and funner, traction bar really helped. Makes you think you know what a Mk8 ST is like. Glad I went down this path after 5 years of HS.
Competitively - Comparing to others I run against many times before and usually PAXed together near the very top, went back and forth with a CS (Miata ND Club). Still well behind a couple of SSC BRZ's, so the goal is to narrow the gap going forward.
Biggest Surprise - much more even tire wear! Looks like getting through the season on only one set might happen.

I'm really thinking about moving up to STH, I think I'll keep at HS another year and see how things go as this will be my third year on it. Would love to feel the car with a slightly lower center of gravity and a modest tune. Would also love to put a proper front diff in it. Good to hear the car feels more fun!

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
A quick update and an interesting tidbit of information.
No new mods, but still having a lot of fun in a "ST bump class",finishing 3rd or 4th place out of 10+ ST cars, and waiting for some proper STH competition.
Here is the interesting tidbit - a break at the most recent event had me sharing some shade with the two leaders. Both were discussing how their cars were basically the last option when they need to drive somewhere due to the sum of their mods. I have no problem with owners of one or multiple "garage queens" but it does say something about the slippy slope of modifying our cars.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
A quick update and an interesting tidbit of information.
No new mods, but still having a lot of fun in a "ST bump class",finishing 3rd or 4th place out of 10+ ST cars, and waiting for some proper STH competition.
Here is the interesting tidbit - a break at the most recent event had me sharing some shade with the two leaders. Both were discussing how their cars were basically the last option when they need to drive somewhere due to the sum of their mods. I have no problem with owners of one or multiple "garage queens" but it does say something about the slippy slope of modifying our cars.
Couldn’t agree more. Hard to strike the balance of a car that’s good on track but still enjoyable to street drive, especially if you race it frequently.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
AND IT BROKE! .......but it now its fixed. (warning a bit long)

Left an event during a downpour and noticed a new rather loud sound, like a drone flying under the car. Here is a quick recap that hopefully will help someone else out.
1) roaring/whine kicked in above 35 mph or so, gear did not make a difference. Tire shop said it wasn't a wheel bearing or cv joint but in transmission. Left it at Transmission shop, they looked at a few things and said it was internal.
2) I found the news unfortunate but not surprising. After 600 or so autocross runs and a few track days, I'm not surprised something gave way (and 6 years and 66k miles - hey too many sixes here), I certainly have heard and seen cars of other makes have a similar or worst fates. Not that one or two track days and a season or autox is that stressful, but do it enough and the stress add up.
3) After some price searching decided to throw the whole "budget build STH" aside and just do what was best for me. (FYI the options I found were $1400 for reasonable used to $3500 for fully built with diff trans, but add your own labor).
4) I went with having the shop rebuilt it and purchased a Wavetrac diff and LSD install kit that I dropped off at the shop. New clutch and associated parts as well.
5) Back on the road now. How's the diff? - nothing noticeable unless you really get on it - then a lot more grip especially coming out of turns. IMHO not really needed for a daily driver, but as a track toy a nice addition.
6) Did one autox post $$$. Treated it pretty much as a "test and tune", and though not as subjectively noticeable as on the street, since you driving on the edge regardless of the cars capability. I did close the gap between me and the front runners in an "ST class" and did leapfrog one long time fellow competitor.
7) Next up an SCCA event with as of now 4 STH entries.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
STH 2nd place and the importance of Driver Mods!
Four STH contenders this weekend and the Fiesta Placed 2nd. Not a big gap behind first, which was a very prepped autox and time trial car. Was reminded about the worth of Driver Mods over car mods, when comparing notes with a much better fellow Fiesta driver I learned I was not bumping up against the rev limited in the same places, and using that knowledge and a lot of effort was above to shave off quite a bit of time.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Here is the wrap-up for the season and the build.
Driving Season - Actually won a class trophy, but by always showing up rather than taking firsts However towards the end of the season I was getting quite a few "Man you are fast" comments. I tend to put down a real hot lap in my first to third run, but then don't improve much (maybe I'm getting to old being in my 60's) and others in the ST class put down faster times (STX class mostly). Did one time trial / time attack - the car did very very well!
Build - I only did the build because a) the warranty ran out b) some things were broken and I might as well put upgrading stuff back on c) the trans needed work so why not go wavetrack. Would I keep a perfectly fine Fist stock, yep? Do I think the car is a lot more fun and enjoyable, yep! So no regrets. Best mod IMHO 16x8 and the Swift springs! DIff and tune next - you just don't notice it all the time, but on a twisty autox man the car pulls.