Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ford extended warranty

so i bought a ford extended warranty for like 2,400 for 30k do any of you have extended warranty's? do you think their worth it? im getting the vibe these things are pretty stout even when tuned and i'm keeping mine as is. so thoughts? i can cancel it anytime im pretty sure.
I mean it depends a lot on your finances. I bought my car CPO because I knew that the odds of me finding something that chapped my ass enough to bother me, but not bother me enough to necessarily pay out of pocket to address, within the first few months of ownership was pretty high. Low and behold I had leaking axles seals, a cracked motor mount, and a leaking overflow tank for the cooling system. All of which (axles aside) were something I could probably handle on a sunny afternoon with some hand tools but wouldn’t want to and it would’ve been a point of contention with my girl if I suddenly had to cough up more money on something she saw as a frivolous purchase.

That said, all cars have parts that are constantly wearing out, it really depends on your tolerance level. If you have tools and a good workspace I’d absolutely say extended warranties are a waste. If you have only one of those things, it’s gonna depend on your tolerance for being ok with topping up fluids and whatnot and the only one that can determine that is you. Fortunately, the FiST doesn’t have any significant reliability issues so given you have a good tolerance for seeping fluids maybe the warranties aren’t worth it. If your a bit more anal about those types of things, like me, I’d say they’re absolutely worth it. I got most of my money back out within months of purchase, but I also did a pretty thorough self inspection of the car one day cuz I was bored. morale of the story, if you have an extended warranty, is to not trust the dealership to actually inspect the car, even if it’s CPO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I mean it depends a lot on your finances. I bought my car CPO because I knew that the odds of me finding something that chapped my ass enough to bother me, but not bother me enough to necessarily pay out of pocket to address, within the first few months of ownership was pretty high. Low and behold I had leaking axles seals, a cracked motor mount, and a leaking overflow tank for the cooling system. All of which not (axles aside) were something I could probably handle on a sunny afternoon with some hand tools but wouldn’t want to and it would’ve been a point of contention with my girl if I suddenly had to cough up more money on something she saw as a frivolous purchase.

That said, all cars have parts that are constantly wearing out, it really depends on your tolerance level. If you have tools and a good workspace I’d absolutely sat extended warranties are a waste. If you have only one of those things, it’s gonna depend on your tolerance for being ok with topping up fluids and whatnot and the only one that can determine that is you. Fortunately, the FiST doesn’t have any significant reliability issues so given you have a good tolerance for seeping fluids maybe the warranties aren’t worth it. If your a bit more anal about those types of things, like me, I’d say they’re absolutely worth it. I got most of my money back out within months of purchase, but I also did a pretty thorough self inspection of the
car one day cuz I was bored. morale of the story, if you have an extended warranty, is to not trust the dealership to actually inspect the car, even if it’s CPO.

Leaking axle fluids is not common except on a few early ones that were repaired under warranty nor is a leaking expansion tank and broken motor mount. I know of no FiST owner that has any tolerance for leaking fluids. Nor do I know of any that have problems like that on a stock FiST. The normal steps are inspect then buy, buying a warranty then inspecting the car is totally backwards.

Every Ford factory authorised CPO car comes with a warranty, see below. Why would you have to use a purchased warranty to get the repairs? All should have been covered under your CPO warranty. Did you buy a Ford Certified CPO or a "dealer" CPO? If it was an authorised Ford CPO you should have paperwork saying that and a copy of your transferable certified warranty so any Ford dealership can work on it and usually a copy of the inspection. Anybody can sell you a "CPO", even "Honest Henry's" buy here, pay here used car lot, LOL. CPO is a term not a copyrighted product.
The only thing to trust in a stealership is they will screw you to the wall every chance they get and they are trained liars. Sorry but it looks like they gotcha good to me if you used a warranty they sold you to pay them for repairs that were covered already.

"An Overview Of The Ford CPO Warranty
After passing a 172-point inspection, all certified pre-owned Fords come with a warranty. This includes:

• Comprehensive limited warranty coverage for 12 months/12,000 miles
  • Powertrain limited warranty coverage for 7 years/100,000 miles
  • 24/7 roadside assistance"

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Leaking axle fluids is not common except on a few early ones that were repaired under warranty nor is a leaking expansion tank and broken motor mount. I know of no FiST owner that has any tolerance for leaking fluids. Nor do I know of any that have problems like that on a stock FiST. The normal steps are inspect then buy, buying a warranty then inspecting the car is totally backwards.

Every Ford factory authorised CPO car comes with a warranty, see below. Why would you have to use a purchased warranty to get the repairs? All should have been covered under your CPO warranty. Did you buy a Ford Certified CPO or a "dealer" CPO? If it was an authorised Ford CPO you should have paperwork saying that and a copy of your transferable certified warranty so any Ford dealership can work on it and usually a copy of the inspection. Anybody can sell you a "CPO", even "Honest Henry's" buy here, pay here used car lot, LOL. CPO is a term not a copyrighted product.
The only thing to trust in a stealership is they will screw you to the wall every chance they get and they are trained liars. Sorry but it looks like they gotcha good to me if you used a warranty they sold you to pay them for repairs that were covered already.

After passing a 172-point inspection, all certified pre-owned Fords come with a warranty. This includes:

To me, there is a BIG difference in a CPO warranty and buying an extended warranty on a car you bought new. And that is, you have no idea of the car's history when it's used.

I bought my V70 CPO w/the warranty. I used it for a few things. I didn't break even, but glad I had it in case. It had 49k miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought the extended warranty and was so glad I did. I paid for it at 36,000 miles and I've still got 30,000 miles to go before it runs out. For the times I've had to use the dealership, it's only cost me the $100 deductible. Otherwise I'd have been paying out some big repair bills! Best thing I ever did.

My 2017 has rust at the hatch hinge and in the rear pax door, Has anyone had rust problems covered by FORD? 4 years and 32 K, what happened to "Quality is job 1"?
At my next oil change I'll ask the rep to have a look. What I understand it's 5 years, unlimited mileage and the rust has to perforate the metal. Well I have one year to see if the hatch falls off and a wind noise develops from the back door. Best to get everything documented now.

Attachments

DoomsdayMelody

The way my stealership wrote everything up they indicated that the Ford CPO warranty, if I wanted it included, was going to tack something like $2800 onto the sale. Part of me is wondering if the car hadn’t even been CPO’d before I expressed an interest in buying that specific car if it were CPO. I was shopping for something CPO so I wasn’t terribly concerned about pre-purchase inspections, I just figured that if I were buying CPO that meant it had been inspected. Spoiler alert it most definitely wasn’t.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My 2017 has rust at the hatch hinge and in the rear pax door, Has anyone had rust problems covered by FORD? 4 years and 32 K, what happened to "Quality is job 1"?
At my next oil change I'll ask the rep to have a look. What I understand it's 5 years, unlimited mileage and the rust has to perforate the metal. Well I have one year to see if the hatch falls off and a wind noise develops from the back door. Best to get everything documented now.
That actually appears like "perforation" already, and is the absolute worst case of the bubbling rust I've seen on this site yet.

I would get a Ford district warranty rep (or whatever they are called) involved, ands see if anything can be done with that, even if the stealership refuses, or tries to deny coverage. [wink]