Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Fusion spied in ST trim

LT Berzerker

I'm curious why they went with the v6 over the 2.3.... Not complaining since the tuning/hp ceiling will be higher, just wondering. Isn't the Taurus sho still in production with the V6TT

I like it, not being an ST, it will probably have cheaper insurance and get discounted a lot at model year end.

I would like to see a Lincoln version, if it's going to be heavy it should have luxury.

Add a tune, big brakes, wheels and suspension to get a customized sleeper.

It is kind of weird but it is hard to compete in the market with a Camry V6 if you put a four cylinder engine in it. Also, they already put the nano V6 with AWD in the edge which shares the platform so it's a parts bin car pretty much.

Pretty cool, wish the exterior was going to be a little more aggressive but I guess that's what body kits are for. A manual option would be nice too but paddle shifters are okay. I'd drive it.
Not trading the fiesta anytime soon though. :p

Another thought, this makes for good Win on Sunday Sell on Monday for NASCAR Fusions. Maybe pace car versions?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I always liked the Austin Martin nose better than the rear end treatment on the car and I would only be interested if it was a wagon or good hatchback, sedans just do not do enough work for my taste.

But I like the idea for those wanting a reasonably priced, by todays standards, fun car that can fly under the radar:)

PhoenixM3

The current SHO is big and heavy without extra interior space. The 89 SHO was the size of the current fusion and was faster than the Mustang GT. in fact it was the third fastest sedan in the world and the only one that sold for less than $50k. It was a big hit and a great car!
A 350hp Fusion with dual clutch paddle shifters that can pull .95+ skidpad for $35k would be a huge hit in my book!
My first new car was a '92 SHO. I loved it, autocrossed it, and threw a Paxton supercharger on it. When I sold it to come overseas, it was making 330hp at the wheels. Then I had the dark days of BMW ownership, and I'm back to American makes. I'm considering sale of my GT500 to step to a Viper, but this is just a musing at this point.

If I was in need of a sedan that's what I'd be getting. I really don't like the Focus at all honestly. I've had enough seat time in both hatch and sedan. But the current gen Fusion looked great and this looks slightly more aggressive on top of it. Unfortunate they don't have a manual option, but it's not a car that will sell many manuals if it was offered. I tried to get my friend to get a Fusion but he stuck with getting a Charger.

GAbOS

I agree this needs the top of the line 2.3T setup. Should help make it sell like hot cakes just a few grand cheaper.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Surfing around the web to get some more details on the 2.7TT, an Ford engineering guy posted this on Reddit, all the stuff I am reading, super impressed, CGI construction, lightweight, etc..

It made to take a heavy beating in a work truck, now they put it in a mid-size snooze mobile!! Brilliant

"BorgWarner K03, 51mm compressor 45mm turbine. Capable of ~450hp at the top end, and lots of torque"

Now as long as that 6-speed auto is semi-decent and can reliably hold the power I am sold! I'll take mine white with some take-off Focus RS base wheels :)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I wish the Mustang had the Nano V6 instead of the 2.3

It is a better engine.
Agreed.
I owned a fusion Sport for a couple years. It was a good car, but that fwd V6 nose heavy stuff was weak sauce with only fwd. i actually liked the flex that replaced it better.

That 2.7L eats like 27-29psi stock in the F-150. I think they de-tuned the 2.7L as not to make the 3.5L gen 1 look like crap ( just yet ).
And as far as turbo specs? That 51mm comp is bigger than a cyborg turbo, and the turbine wheel is 25% than the fist turbine wheel. If I can make 280whp on 1 of them, what can 2 do? This car could end up being the syclone of our era. Auto, turbo, V6, AWD. I mean... The buick guys have been begging GM since 1987 for something like this !!!

Only down side is.... When the ST version hits, its gonna have a 3.5L gen 2 ecoboost ( obviously since this is just the "sport" ). And it will be super nuts.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Agreed.
I owned a fusion Sport for a couple years. It was a good car, but that fwd V6 nose heavy stuff was weak sauce with only fwd. i actually liked the flex that replaced it better.

That 2.7L eats like 27-29psi stock in the F-150. I think they de-tuned the 2.7L as not to make the 3.5L gen 1 look like crap ( just yet ).
And as far as turbo specs? That 51mm comp is bigger than a cyborg turbo, and the turbine wheel is 25% than the fist turbine wheel. If I can make 280whp on 1 of them, what can 2 do? This car could end up being the syclone of our era. Auto, turbo, V6, AWD. I mean... The buick guys have been begging GM since 1987 for something like this !!!

Only down side is.... When the ST version hits, its gonna have a 3.5L gen 2 ecoboost ( obviously since this is just the "sport" ). And it will be super nuts.
Agreed, but I doubt an ST version will be in the pipeline, and I think the new 3.0 ecoboost on the new Lincoln's will be the "big boy" motor for the new SHO and so forth. The Fusion Sport is effectively our new Fusion ST in everything but name.

How many nuts do you want?

I bet the Nano could be a 600 whp engine rather easily (depending on the HPFP and cam drive mostly).

The Fusion isn't light but with 600 whp and sticky tires you could go EVO hunting.

Stock should be pretty cool. 450 whp should be a ton of fun and not terribly expensive.

If it can be bought late in the year at a discount, it's going to be a huge performance bargain. If Ford sells lots of them it would make for much less expensive repair parts than ST specific stuff.

I hope DHM buys a new shop car.

jayrod1980

The problem I foresee is the AWD system. Is it the same tech as the SHO/Flex Ecoboost/Explorer Sport? I have a Flex EB and its crazy fast with just a tune, but the AWD can get overwhelmed pretty easily. For guys dragging those things they stuck Goodyear bags in the rear shock area and fill up to like 10psi so when you launch the rear stays planted. If the front leaps up the car kills all the fun to keep the system synced.

I'd like to learn more about this system. I presume it's the same chassis as an edge in 2.7T trim?

Aren't they moving the Taurus to the fusion platform too?

Agreed, but I doubt an ST version will be in the pipeline, and I think the new 3.0 ecoboost on the new Lincoln's will be the "big boy" motor for the new SHO and so forth. The Fusion Sport is effectively our new Fusion ST in everything but name.
I don't think it will happen, it's said that the new 3.0 EB is "Lincoln Only".

The problem I foresee is the AWD system. Is it the same tech as the SHO/Flex Ecoboost/Explorer Sport? I have a Flex EB and its crazy fast with just a tune, but the AWD can get overwhelmed pretty easily. For guys dragging those things they stuck Goodyear bags in the rear shock area and fill up to like 10psi so when you launch the rear stays planted. If the front leaps up the car kills all the fun to keep the system synced.

I'd like to learn more about this system. I presume it's the same chassis as an edge in 2.7T trim?

Aren't they moving the Taurus to the fusion platform too?
The AWD System is not the same that the one on the SHO/FLEX Ecoboost/Explorer Sport, but the one on the Focus RS.