Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catalytic temp logging

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Anybody else with an Cobb AP want to monitor their Catalytic temps to compare?

Data points from my car:

70-75mph cruise on hwy: 1280-1350f
Idle: 1100-1200f

dyn085

2000 Post Club
If I remember I'll set up my AP3 and log on the way home. I don't hit 70-75 generally, but I'll see what traffic is doing.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Curious, what would high or low cat temps indicate?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Could be as I was thinking of the old 2 stroke tuning days/nights when you jet'm down till they meet mr squeaky then richen them up a smidge per the EGT gauges ;)

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
LOL i hear yuh. Rotaries melt cats because they put so much fuel into them they literally melt.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It looks like I'm seeing 1350-1450 for 70-75 mph cruising. I didn't get to run at those speeds long enough to have everything stabilize though, so take it with a grain of salt.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
It looks like I'm seeing 1350-1450 for 70-75 mph cruising. I didn't get to run at those speeds long enough to have everything stabilize though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Awesome! Thanks for the data point. Are you still running cruise at the standard 14.7 AFR?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Awesome! Thanks for the data point. Are you still running cruise at the standard 14.7 AFR?
Yup. I assumed yours were lower because I seem to remember you posting a log with lean cruise. My temps may have settled a touch lower with a bit longer of a drive, but nowhere near your numbers.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Wouldn't the wideband sensor readings from the O2 sensor be a better gauge for mixture than CAT temp?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Yup. I assumed yours were lower because I seem to remember you posting a log with lean cruise. My temps may have settled a touch lower with a bit longer of a drive, but nowhere near your numbers.
Yea, currently running 15.1 lean cruise. I am going to run a little leaner, I just needed a general data point for normal running before I did that.

Wouldn't the wideband sensor readings from the O2 sensor be a better gauge for mixture than CAT temp?
Of course, I am more concerned with the AFR's effect on CAT temp.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yea, currently running 15.1 lean cruise. I am going to run a little leaner, I just needed a general data point for normal running before I did that.

Of course, I am more concerned with the AFR's effect on CAT temp.
Next time I get a chance I'll try and get some CAT temps with some more sustained driving at speed.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I need to monitor mine to ensure the 5" 100 cell cat is getting hot enough to work properly, I know it takes a bit longer to heat up as can smell it then once warmed up I never smell fumes so it must be doing a decent job. I knew it might be a bit to big and 100 cell might now work out but I wanted to try the highest flowing one I could find.

I do have the DP double and triple wrapped which will help quite a bit and all SS parts of course which helps as well.

If it is not doing the job I want it to do I have already been looking at modding the stock DP to flow really well but cutting out the restrictive areas and welding in sections cut from 3" tubing and then adding a 3" flex and outlet.