Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

From fist to ecoboost mustang?

2006ser

Has anybody else done this move or is thinking about it? I love my fiesta it's basically stock with intake and lowered. Reason for going ecoboost is I love the s550 looks and love deep impact blue or orange. I'm stuck I can't decide if I should A just mod my fist and be happy or B buy the mustang? I'm thinking if I nod the fist I'll get over the mustang and can deal with the fist for another 2 years and won't be much negative. But man o man them s550 are so tempting.[bash]

I'm in the same boat. I don't get to run the FiST though the twisties as often as I'd like, and I've always wanted a mustang. I would prefer some more straight line speed and the Cobb stage 3/ MAP p1.5 numbers look really good.

Modding won't change its overall personalty. Drive an EB Stang and see if you like it better. It's a whole different experience. Not as light on its feet and more relaxed.

If you want DIB or comp orange you'll need to jump on a 2016 because they're out for 17 (although I like the new lightning blue better then DIB).

OP

2006ser

Thread Starter #3
I will definitely go test drive it Next big sale ford gets I will jump on one if test drive goes good. Just need to find a good deal and figured out a way I don't loose much on the trade in

I would like to own a Mustang, and as respectable as the EB Stang is, there is an old school part of my brain that will always yell at me for not getting a V8 GT. Yes, I know the EB can be modded to do some serious power and as a lighter car it may have a better handling feel than the GT assuming both have their respective performance package, but to me the Mustang is a big engine pony car and as silly as it is, I just can't get over that. The EB has a high mod ceiling and can be damn fast, but it's just not a V8 and I've always told myself that if I ever own a Stang or a Camaro, they will be V8s or nothing. It's kind of funny to think about it because I know you can get an EB w/ PP and use the saved money to mod and pretty easily match a V8's performance, but it's just not a V8, lol.

This is a personal thing, obviously, but I'm just putting my 2c out there. All I can recommend is that you test drive the EB and see how you feel after that.

I would like to own a Mustang, and as respectable as the EB Stang is, there is an old school part of my brain that will always yell at me for not getting a V8 GT. Yes, I know the EB can be modded to do some serious power and as a lighter car it may have a better handling feel than the GT assuming both have their respective performance package, but to me the Mustang is a big engine pony car and as silly as it is, I just can't get over that. The EB has a high mod ceiling and can be damn fast, but it's just not a V8 and I've always told myself that if I ever own a Stang or a Camaro, they will be V8s or nothing. It's kind of funny to think about it because I know you can get an EB w/ PP and use the saved money to mod and pretty easily match a V8's performance, but it's just not a V8, lol.

This is a personal thing, obviously, but I'm just putting my 2c out there. All I can recommend is that you test drive the EB and see how you feel after that.
I drove the EB back to back with the gt. The GT was the one that put an instant smile on my face. Just easing into the street, huge grin. Then of course the salesman had a special "mustang route". I was thinking this....this is what I need.

Then I decided if I can get more tq out of the EB with bolt-ons that is the way to go. The gt is great but the extra 200lbs over the front axle is always there and I've gotten spoiled with turn in. Plus coming from the FiST makes you want to root for the little guy.

I will definitely go test drive it Next big sale ford gets I will jump on one if test drive goes good. Just need to find a good deal and figured out a way I don't loose much on the trade in
Hop on the mustang g6 forum and see if you can meet up with a tuned EB owner at a car meet. Stock the EB is pretty unimpressive in my experience.

I rented a mustang convertible about a month back when I was in Florida. It was a EcoBoost automatic. I was far from impressed. Granted I had my son with me and couldn't explore all the fun features and modes but still I was expecting more. I'm just going to be honest and say if I were to buy a mustang the v8 would be for me. I love the tech and things you can do, but it's a mustang. And yes i'll let the tuned EB's walk all over my v8 one day and be perfectly ok with it.

DaveG99

Mustang is big and clunky compared to the fist. And if were to get a mustang it would be a 5.0.

The EcoBoost Mustang is a butter knife to the Fiesta ST's steak knife. Neither is a scalpel like a track car can be.

If I was buying an EcoBoost Mustang, I would probably go base model with the intent to change wheels, tires, brakes and suspension to sharpen up the handling. I don't think I would ever be satisfied with the weight.

The EcoBoost has good power and enough traction stock so I could live with that for a while.

I think the Mustang isn't as practical as a Fiesta but it depends on how you will use it.

Mustangs are tempting but I like my ST.

I like the Mustang but so does everyone else in my work parking lot. I've seen 4 other FiST's (only once each) in just over 2 years, and I live in the 4th largest city in the U.S.

If I went Mustang it'd have to be a V8.

I recently did the opposite of what OP is thinking - 2015 Mustang GT to 2016 Fist. I always wanted to get a mustang so I jumped in last year and at first it was awesome. It's a big car and it feels like it but I thought the handling was good. I didn't like the seating position as it seemed to require a pretty reclined seatback .... hard to sit upright without having my head brush the headliner especially with a helmet. Overall it drove like a nice comfy car but it didn't feel particularly special (should have gotten the PP I guess) .... it's gorgeous though.

Ultimately I treated the Mustang like a show car (as it was in my mind/wallet) and I ended up getting too paranoid driving it due to parking lots, rocks, etc.

The Fist has been a blast and feels like a little go-kart. Since it's so small it gives the sensation of speed above what it's actually doing compared to the mustang which didn't feel very fast until you looked at the speedo! I do miss the mustang but the fist has been fun every time I get in it.

OP

2006ser

Thread Starter #13
The mature choice is to keep my car for at least a few years more and pay as much as I can. The irresponsible choice is to say yolo and get the mustang. I been a mustang guy for years also srt4 guy. I think this are just little urges. Why not just keep the fist until paid off and then buy the mustang I really want which is the gt. Why am I trying to psych myself into one now.. The right desicion is keep the fist and mod it simple will be cheaper and can keep me happy for a few more years

The mature choice is to keep my car for at least a few years more and pay as much as I can. The irresponsible choice is to say yolo and get the mustang. I been a mustang guy for years also srt4 guy. I think this are just little urges. Why not just keep the fist until paid off and then buy the mustang I really want which is the gt. Why am I trying to psych myself into one now.. The right desicion is keep the fist and mod it simple will be cheaper and can keep me happy for a few more years
As long as you're ahead of the depreciated value you're good. If you're only going to trade it in it doesn't need to be completely paid off. However if you wanted to sell privately it's way easier to be completely paid off.

I wouldn't let the ecoboost hate throw you off either. The gt and EB are different cars. I was shocked how well balanced the EB was. If you like modding and want the car that's more fun on the street get the EB(check out Matt Farah's street EB Cobb stage 3 one take if you haven't already) . If you like stock slam the go pedal and get shoved into your seat go GT.

OP

2006ser

Thread Starter #15
True I'll be happy with either or. I'm just on the negative currently if I get a decent amount back from my taxes that might even up the playing field. If I get the ecoboost will do coin stage 3 and call it a day if I get the 5.0 only mod will be exhaust. Now color wise. Damm I was online looking at all the colors Damm that yellow looks dam sexy. Also orange is starting to grab my attention

727hp sounds great but the reality on the street is probably going to be a car that you can't really use fully.

With a Fiesta ST and a DHM turbo kit you have a car pretty much as fast as a Mustang GT but for less money and with better handling.

An EcoBoost Mustang with enough suspension and tire thrown at it to handle like a Fiesta ST will cost more, will still be 500+lbs heavier and not quite as fast as a GT.

That is the math I use.

Just yesterday a newer Mustang GT pulled up next to me at a red light and made a point of accelerating away from me, at the next light I rolled gently in to the throttle, got hit with the donkey punch and lit up the tires. I showed him a little EcoBoost power but it just shows that we almost have too much already.

Once I install my DHM kit I will have too much, just the way I like it.

One thing I can say is do not buy cars out of pure emotion. Emotion can lead to negative equity and high payments that you justify left and right, but in the end are still a bad decision. I can so totally relate to wanting something different and falling in love with a car that isn't the one you own, but in the end it is better to curb those feelings and only make the move when it actually makes sense without roundabout justification. I highly, highly doubt the EB Mustang is going anywhere for a good while so taking another year or two to ensure you're positive on your trade and that you're making the right decision isn't likely to prevent you from getting the EB Stang.

Not for nothing, but you also said "buy the Mustang I really want which is the GT". If you really want the GT and you get the EB, I can almost guarantee you'll be pissed at yourself after the "yay, new car!!" feels go away. I'm not saying you need to pay off the FiST and keep it, just don't rush the situation and purchase the EB when you really want the GT thinking to yourself "well it's still a Mustang" because in the end you'll likely regret it and very possibly end up in the same situation in 2 years when you're trying to get out of the EB and into a GT.

If you want a GT, get a GT because the EB is not a GT and even if you can mod it to be as fast or handle better, it's still never going to be a GT. I'm corny when it comes to cars, but I feel like they have to speak to you, there has to be a connection. Cars have a soul and an attitude, and no amount of modded and tuned power or handling prowess is going to give an EB Mustang the same soul and attitude as a GT, at least in my opinion.

Disclaimer - I'm not anti-EB. I think it's an awesome car and for the right person it is the right fit. It has a huge mod ceiling and can be made damned fast and into a damned good handler, but it is still not a GT.

I think the EcoBoost is tempting as a platform to modify from but the one I lust after is the GT350 with the Voodoo. The GT is fast but evidently not as fast as the new Camaro and it doesn't handle like a GT350 so there is nothing telling me "get one of these" right now.

What I would really like Ford to do is a F150 style aluminum body Mustang that saves 200+ lbs and maybe a 2.7l Nano V6 EcoBoost engine.