Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

Brianmc27

Came back from checking out the CTS V. Over budget and wheels were curb rashed to hell and it needs new tires. Nice and Fun car but beyond my needs and wallet. Actually a lot quieter on the inside than I remember. Call me poor but hard to stomach almost $70k for a used car that's not in perfect condition and has high maintenance costs (tires lol). I could drive a new cayman or Corvette for that money and maintenance wouldn't be much (if any) more. Next...

Scheduled a test drive in a day golf r Friday. Below msrp

Ford dealer told me they were about to start new factory discounts, 0% financing and a trade in deal. I could get a stage 3 rousch for 0% financing right now lol.

Hyundai dealer is being weird and only has certain new models available for test drive. No g70 besides the awd around me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What kind of asshole would call you poor for thinking a 70k (used) car is expensive? This is a Fiesta forum... we think you’re an asshole for being able to spend 70k on a second car.🤣🤣

Came back from checking out the CTS V. Over budget and wheels were curb rashed to hell and it needs new tires. Nice and Fun car but beyond my needs and wallet. Actually a lot quieter on the inside than I remember. Call me poor but hard to stomach almost $70k for a used car that's not in perfect condition and has high maintenance costs (tires lol). I could drive a new cayman or Corvette for that money and maintenance wouldn't be much (if any) more. Next...

Scheduled a test drive in a day golf r Friday. Below msrp [emoji1696]

Ford dealer told me they were about to start new factory discounts, 0% financing and a trade in deal. I could get a stage 3 rousch for 0% financing right now lol.

Hyundai dealer is being weird and only has certain new models available for test drive. No g70 besides the awd around me.

I don't think it was mentioned, but while at Hyundai, the veloster n with performance package could be a contender. Automotive journalists tend to agree its more engaging to drive than anything in the class ie focus rs, golf r and just about equal with the type r. I do get however the look isn't for everyone if you're going for understated

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

DoomsdayMelody

I don't think it was mentioned, but while at Hyundai, the veloster n with performance package could be a contender. Automotive journalists tend to agree its more engaging to drive than anything in the class ie focus rs, golf r and just about equal with the type r. I do get however the look isn't for everyone if you're going for understated

I mean it’s much more understated than the Civic Type R, and honestly I don’t think the N is really that showy even if you get it in that blue color. It’s on my short list of cars to look at when it comes time to say goodbye to the FiST, but I assumed OP was looking for something a bit bigger than the FiST lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean it’s much more understated than the Civic Type R, and honestly I don’t think the N is really that showy even if you get it in that blue color. It’s on my short list of cars to look at when it comes time to say goodbye to the FiST, but I assumed OP was looking for something a bit bigger than the FiST lol.

Yeah I agree, I'd put the N right in the middle between the golf r and type r in terms of visual loudness. OP seems to be leaning towards golf r so seems like hot hatches are still on the table haha

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #85
Yeah I agree, I'd put the N right in the middle between the golf r and type r in terms of visual loudness. OP seems to be leaning towards golf r so seems like hot hatches are still on the table haha

Honestly the Veloster N would be a FiST replacement if it ever was totaled and I couldn't find a new one. The golf r is only being considered because the dealer says I can get one close to gti Autobahn pricing. Even in green the golf r is a far cry from fuckboi mobile. I really wish I could like the gli. New 35th anniversary editions are going for $26k.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #86
What kind of asshole would call you poor for thinking a 70k (used) car is expensive? This is a Fiesta forum... we think you’re an asshole for being able to spend 70k on a second car.[emoji1787][emoji1787]
Lol glad we're able to joke about it. I like my toys. If it weren't for cars and my fiance, I'd probably just be a homeless surf bum in Hawaii [emoji1787].

The fact that I'm keeping the FiST speaks to how awesome a car it is.

I just need the car equivalent of a business suit [emoji56]

Honestly the Veloster N would be a FiST replacement if it ever was totaled and I couldn't find a new one. The golf r is only being considered because the dealer says I can get one close to gti Autobahn pricing. Even in green the golf r is a far cry from fuckboi mobile. I really wish I could like the gli. New 35th anniversary editions are going for $26k.

Gotcha. There's always the audi s3 as a golf r sedan/awd gli.

DoomsdayMelody

GLI for 26k or Elantra Sport for 24k? I mean fully loaded the Elantra sport hits 26k...

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #92
Test drove a new 2019 golf r dsg w/ Dcc and nav today in the weirdest 'contactless' test drive I've had. Sales agent wiped down everything so it was wet with lysol then insisted he sit in the back seat the entire time. Between the masks and sitting behind me he couldn't hear all my questions.

Wow. Just wow. DCC and the dsg make the golf r feel like a sleeper r8. A couple power/traction mods and it'd be a legitimate supercar contender.

Tried to negotiate with salesperson for a discount equivalent to sales tax (already quoted $1000 below MSRP and 0%) or to see if they'd price match an out of state price before taxes/fees. Was told that next week they'll be offering better rebates and possibly better incentives. I could get a better deal on A manual but those can't handle any additional power.

[emoji848]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
An uglier Toyota Avalon? Blech.

Honestly what he should get is like a 2014 C63 AMG.

No. A GS is a rear wheel drive platform that is incredibly reliable. Not a Toyota Avalon that is front-wheel drive.

A six-year-old AMG Mercedes that screams super reliable doesn't it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #95
Pretty much past any used 'performance' trim luxury car. A lot of tempting $60k used cars still have the maintenance costs of a $100k vehicle.

This golf r is the first vehicle I'd consider replacing the FiST with.

I'll look more into Lexus, just seemed expensive and kind of boring to me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's hard to argue with the performance of the VDub R, but I just am not too amorous of it's looks/aesthetics, albeit, those staid, conservative, almost boring lines may be just what you need to placate those clients/investors. [dunno]

Now, if they ever offered a POLO R here, with that same/similar R power/drive train, that's a whole 'nother story. [wink] [driving]

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #97
It's hard to argue with the performance of the VDub R, but I just am not too amorous of it's looks/aesthetics, albeit, those staid, conservative, almost boring lines may be just what you need to placate those clients/investors. [dunno]

Now, if they ever offered a POLO R here, with that same/similar R power/drive train, that's a whole 'nother story. [wink] [driving]
It is a bit boring looking, the green is hideous and the wheels are polarizing. But the bi polar sports car/sedate sedan qualities really impressed me. Haven't experienced that in a sub $100k car. Just not sure of reliability/warranty as I'd definitely want to piggyback or flash it bare minimum....[emoji848]

Right now isn't the easiest time to test drive cars. Toyota basically told me I'm SOL lol. A lot of companies are shifting to taking care of their current customer vs making new sales.

No. A GS is a rear wheel drive platform that is incredibly reliable. Not a Toyota Avalon that is front-wheel drive.

A six-year-old AMG Mercedes that screams super reliable doesn't it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yup, that’s a brain fart on my part for some odd reason I read ES. Either way, when talking sporty and luxury, Lexus has got to be one of the last brands I think of. They do luxury very well, they just do ‘sport’ below average at their price point. Which is not to say that they don’t make compelling products (if you can get past the styling), but I generally don’t think of a Toyota product as the answer when someone says that they want a fun car.

As far as MB reliability goes, that specific engine and car are relatively simple, with no major mechanical issues reported. It does go through consumables (tires, brakes, fuel, etc) at a higher rate than most would find acceptable, but there are a number of us on the forum that generally understand that with cars built for ’sport’ means paying to play. Frankly, I’m of the opinion that maintenance is king when it comes to vehicle reliability. I don’t subscribe to the fact that Toyota=reliable, that’s what people who only buy ‘reliable’ cars tell themselves to justify purchasing a car that fulfills the basic needs of transportation, without being interesting or anywhere near as enjoyable as the vast majority of its competitors. Call me crazy, but I’ve purchased a lot Ford products, which are generally considered unreliable by the public, but I understand that preventative maintenance is more important than reputation and I’d have assumed that other Ford owners would have a similar understanding.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the Chevy SS? You can throw a cams at it and have a mean sounding but very pedestrian looking car.

RWD, manual option, some were even equipped with magnaride.