Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GFB+ or EM BOV ? .......

Gonna be doing some charge pipe work on the FIST ( 2014 ) and figured while I’m under working , thinking of adding DV+ or EM BOV .
Looking for a good option .... pros and cons . Even the pros and cons of EM BOV (dual port or plumb back version ) .
Currently running stage 2 Cobb and am reaching out to dizzy for the stage 1 / E30 tunes. Liking the path the car is heading in newer performance, but wanted to get this area as next upgrade.

Both seem ridiculously easy to install , and that is why while front fascia is off and car jacked ....... which to choose.

Let me know what you think .........

A444423B-07D2-4075-A0EF-B9F26D88E2FE.jpeg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
From watching both through the years...Neither. The Gfb has issues and needs to be cleaned periodically. Then the Connector issues with the Electronic BOV. I Ran a Boomba BPV adapter and it gave the Childish Pppppssssshhhhhtttt noise and never had any issues over 40k of being on the Stock Snail. IMO. Just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

From watching both through the years...Neither. The Gfb has issues and needs to be cleaned periodically. Then the Connector issues with the Electronic BOV. I Ran a Boomba BPV adapter and it gave the Childish Pppppssssshhhhhtttt noise and never had any issues over 40k of being on the Stock Snail. IMO. Just food for thought.

Depends though, if you plan to keep it long longer the DV+ would absolutely be a worthwhile consideration, particularly if you are used to doing your own maintenance, I figure lubricating it every other oil change or so wouldn’t be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
DV+ has worked fine for me for the past ~10k. It's relatively easy to install if you have extended bits, but I wouldn't consider it ridiculously easy.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Boomba Bypass Valve spacer....No Maitenence. Install it and forget it. Easy as pie.

The Boomba Bypass Valve spacer....No Maitenence. Install it and forget it. Easy as pie.

Yeah but there are more than a handful that have reported leaking boost via that spacer. Idk, maybe they just installed it incorrectly, but since our system was built around using a diverter valve and recycling out compressed air charge rather than venting it part of me just thinks an upgraded diverter valve is a better option, especially since those spacers run about half of what an actual upgraded part runs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Depends though, if you plan to keep it long longer the DV+ would absolutely be a worthwhile consideration, particularly if you are used to doing your own maintenance, I figure lubricating it every other oil change or so wouldn’t be too bad.

I ran a Boomba spacer for about a year. The issue is the stock bypass valve is crap and will leak with the spacer if you run any sort of power mods and add boost above stock. The plunger isn't meant to have the extended travel that it does with the boomba spacer since it does not come with a replacement plunger.

It also sounds like crap compared to a real blowoff valve. Itll be blowing off full blast like bus airbrakes when you're in a parking lot going 10 mph.. kind of embarassing honestly

As far as OP comparing the EM and DV+, I would say neither. The DV+ is solid, but the maintenance puts me off. I dont want to have to do maintenance on a blowoff valve spacer and take it apart every 10k miles.

I have the EM series and its pretty good, but still not great as far as sound. Its pretty responsive and it flutters at partial throttle, but it sounds almost identical to the spacer otherwise.. ive also noticed sometimes it doesn't close sometimes if i let off the throttle but then get back on partial throttle, ill hear the air pouring out under partial throttle until it closes all the way...

The main issue is that neither if these choices are mechanical valves.. they're electronically controlled. If I could go back and save myself the money and effort, I would go straight for a mechanical blowoff valve with true boost reference- a spring and vacuum line. I'm currently looking at a turbosmart kompact 50/50 symposer mounted... but part of me wants to ball out and get the HKS/Tial charge pipe blowoff valve kit.. the HKS is by far the best sounding in my opinion (just so damn expensive).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Gonna be doing some charge pipe work on the FIST ( 2014 ) and figured while I’m under working , thinking of adding DV+ or EM BOV .
Looking for a good option .... pros and cons . Even the pros and cons of EM BOV (dual port or plumb back version ) .
Currently running stage 2 Cobb and am reaching out to dizzy for the stage 1 / E30 tunes. Liking the path the car is heading in newer performance, but wanted to get this area as next upgrade.

Both seem ridiculously easy to install , and that is why while front fascia is off and car jacked ....... which to choose.

Let me know what you think .........

View attachment 36436
See my comment above... but if you are set on only using one of these 2 options, I would go turbosmart EM. Thats what I run. 10 minute install, plug n play.. a truly "install it and forget" mod.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran a Boomba spacer for about a year. The issue is the stock bypass valve is crap and will leak with the spacer if you run any sort of power mods and add boost above stock. The plunger isn't meant to have the extended travel that it does with the boomba spacer since it does not come with a replacement plunger.

It also sounds like crap compared to a real blowoff valve. Itll be blowing off full blast like bus airbrakes when you're in a parking lot going 10 mph.. kind of embarassing honestly

As far as OP comparing the EM and DV+, I would say neither. The DV+ is solid, but the maintenance puts me off. I dont want to have to do maintenance on a blowoff valve spacer and take it apart every 10k miles.

I have the EM series and its pretty good, but still not great as far as sound. Its pretty responsive and it flutters at partial throttle, but it sounds almost identical to the spacer otherwise.. ive also noticed sometimes it doesn't close sometimes if i let off the throttle but then get back on partial throttle, ill hear the air pouring out under partial throttle until it closes all the way...

The main issue is that neither if these choices are mechanical valves.. they're electronically controlled. If I could go back and save myself the money and effort, I would go straight for a mechanical blowoff valve with true boost reference- a spring and vacuum line. I'm currently looking at a turbosmart kompact 50/50 symposer mounted... but part of me wants to ball out and get the HKS/Tial charge pipe blowoff valve kit.. the HKS is by far the best sounding in my opinion (just so damn expensive).

Did this for almost 40k no issues whatsoever and ran a Stratified flash tune w/ snap crackle pop option*

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Yeah I say neither as well. Is external an option for you? Sounds better, you can actually see it and ultimately is more reliable. An hks or tial will outlast your turbo.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

What about the Turbosmart Kompact valves? Are those better than the EM's?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I ran a BOV spacer for like 40k with no issues. But theyre loud and sound like air brakes.

I picked up a Turbosmart BOV/ block-off kit and it was much more discreet.

Currently running an old skool HKS SSQV and love it.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have had a GFB DV+ for 70k miles. Never had an issue. I lubricate every 20k miles. I used a mechanical BPV briefly and hated it. It responded slower than the electronic unit.

SrsBsns

I ran a BOV spacer for like 40k with no issues. But theyre loud and sound like air brakes.

I picked up a Turbosmart BOV/ block-off kit and it was much more discreet.

Currently running an old skool HKS SSQV and love it.

Did you have to get the kit that includes the pipe and the BOV?

I was told from numerous reliable contributors/vendors that EM series staying open is something the stock valve does also, you just can’t hear it. I have the EM Dual Port so I know exactly what you are talking about. I brought it up after I first installed it. It’s been on about 6k miles and has probably opened and closed 200k times by now because I’m a child. Lol

SrsBsns

I was told from numerous reliable contributors/vendors that EM series staying open is something the stock valve does also, you just can’t hear it. I have the EM Dual Port so I know exactly what you are talking about. I brought it up after I first installed it. It’s been on about 6k miles and has probably opened and closed 200k times by now because I’m a child. Lol

Yeah, I have the spacer "bov" now and I do hear it when it stays open longer than it should.

slopoke

There have been mixed reviews of both items. Counterfeit Go Fast Bits DV+ units from shady sellers, electrical connector issues with the TurboSmart units. I ran a electronic recirc for about 6 months, with no issues.

Do you want sound, or not? Stock location or not? You can always go mechanical BOV, which probably is the most reliable. They are available in recirc, vent to atmosphere, dual port. You can always block off the diverter valve location and install a BOV at the symposer location. Those at the symposer location would be a vent to atmosphere.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a EM BOV dual port it was installed in December of 2018
I have no problems with it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited: