Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Give me hope to keep my car

My car is a fbo stage 2 car ready for an S280 I built from stock, but I won’t have the funds for a few months to do so. In the meantime, I’ve been trying to find little things to do that are cheaper.
My issue with the car is even being stage 2, I don’t find it as exciting as I thought I would. I’m hoping after going S280 and aux fuel it’ll change my feelings for the car.
I was a Ford tech for quite awhile, drove probably a half dozen FiST’s (mainly stock) and thought they were quick, and I guess expected more with more mods?
So I’m really hoping the S280 changes the car a lot because I def wouldn’t mind some more power. I’m not new to turbo cars at all, I guess I can’t fathom the power because I thought stage 2 would have been enough and I’ve never been in any FiST that’s any faster than mine. Give me hope..

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #3
If you have an AP3/accessport Id suggest getting a E30 tune for the stock snail if you haven't already. It really wakes the car up!
I only have 92 near me which is part of the problem.
Im tuned on an AP3 by Jason/Dizzy with a stage 2 tune.
Closest e85 station is about 2 hours from me.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Id suggest buying some large Gas containers and making a journey to grab some E85* Worth every penny*IMO especially if you're on the stock snail still!

I initially worried I overshot power with "stage 2" upgrades. The Mountune 93 OTS spun my (all season) tires in all 6 gears... so did Dizzy 93/E30. After putting some good tires and trac/trunk bars on, feel like it might handle more... but I'm not sure I'm ready to lose the low end punch of the stock turbo (yet).

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I initially worried I overshot power with "stage 2" upgrades. The Mountune 93 OTS spun my (all season) tires in all 6 gears... so did Dizzy 93/E30. After putting some good tires and trac/trunk bars on, feel like it might handle more... but I'm not sure I'm ready to lose the low end punch of the stock turbo (yet).
Even on premium, the difference in power between stock turbo and aftermarket is astounding. S280 or whoosh hybrid if you want to retain the low end will totally change the car.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #7
I was under the impression that once E85 is opened, it’s under a limited time frame because of the moisture so storing it usually isn’t an option? I’m probably wrong though.
I’m not trying to max out the stock turbo and blow a bunch of hot air. It’s pointless doing a pull and being done because my IAT’s are through the roof. I know right now the stock turbo won’t make enough power to satisfy my butt dump even if I throw E30 in. I need a bit more power, I’ve done A LOT of research on turbos, and the S280 is the best bang for your buck in my eyes.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My car is a fbo stage 2 car ready for an S280 I built from stock, but I won’t have the funds for a few months to do so. In the meantime, I’ve been trying to find little things to do that are cheaper.
My issue with the car is even being stage 2, I don’t find it as exciting as I thought I would. I’m hoping after going S280 and aux fuel it’ll change my feelings for the car.
I was a Ford tech for quite awhile, drove probably a half dozen FiST’s (mainly stock) and thought they were quick, and I guess expected more with more mods?
So I’m really hoping the S280 changes the car a lot because I def wouldn’t mind some more power. I’m not new to turbo cars at all, I guess I can’t fathom the power because I thought stage 2 would have been enough and I’ve never been in any FiST that’s any faster than mine. Give me hope..
One thing to consider might be changing your priorities for the car, and refocusing on what it does best. The car's main strength is its quick and agile handling. It was never meant to be a crazy fast car in a straight line.That said, I find the stock power to be satisfying. I added a satisfying extra bump of power with the Mountune MP215 tune, and I'm happy with it, it hits a sweet spot for me.Continuing to chase huge power in this car,which it wasn't designed for, can be a recipe for dissatisfaction.
It might be that if you refocused on how fun it is to drive with the go-kart like handling, and how well balanced it is overall at a ridiculously cheap price, you might start finding it satisfying again.
If you're wondering if I have experienced a truly fast car, the answer is yes. I came to this car from an E90 M3, a 414 horsepower V8 with a nutty 8400 RPM red line.That car was really fast, but the problem for me was you couldn't really enjoy it without getting into illegal territory so fast.If I have a car that can go zero to 100 in about 10 seconds, I want to go zero to 100 in about 10 seconds.
I'm a mostly retired lawyer who has handled thousands of traffic tickets.Here in Central North Carolina where I practiced, every county has a point for a speeding ticket after which they won't plea bargain anymore. That speed is generally around 95 to 100. This means if you get a ticket going that fast, you're basically stuck with it, the DA will not reduce it. The consequences are then losing your license for a year, and maybe getting a limited driving privilege to drive to school or work if the judge is in a good mood. Your insurance also at least quadruples for 3 years. Do the math, that's a lot of money.
I'm also not interesting in pushing huge horsepower out of my car because it appears that it can handle up to 300 horsepower without compromising reliability too much. After that point, it becomes more problematic.It also avoids the situation where you're going 60 mph, you punch the gas, and in about 4 or 5 seconds you're going 100. At that point if a cop pulls you you're pretty damn screwed.
This is just something to consider before you take the drastic step of selling the car because it's not fast enough for you in a straight line.

Last edited:
I'll offer hope, either that or dispair across the board, 6 of one, half dozen of the other...I got my FiST stock power aside from an intake (@26k mi). In the last year i have added Indy 500s, a Whoosh hybrid, catless DP, FMIC, radiator, and 3" catback, currently tuning for e30 with Dizzy. As is, it's supposed to make something like 300whp. Tonight i happened across an article on the Civic Type R and people talk about how fast it is but it's only got 306 bhp (like 270whp?) and it's 400lb more than our FiSTs. And it's 40 grand new. As fast as we can cheaply make our Fords fast, i'd still want more power if i could. It's fast as hell now but i have learned in exactly one year of modding, it will never be enough. Give me a 700hp Focus RS and i will still want more.

So i guess my point is, no matter how green the grass is on the other side, it will always turn brown very quickly. I find keeping in mind our specs vs similar priced cars helps keep my eye from wandering. Even on 93 my turbo upgrade was a HUGE difference, ince you get the turbo tuned the fun will ensue. Perhaps a "cheaper" mod you can look at in the meantime is super sticky tires, i find 2nd gear is probly losing 40% to wheel spin even on my Indys. I had stock with e30 and it was great, then i got used to it. Now i have this setup and i will eventually get used to it and want more. No car likely in our price range will solve that, so just keep in mind the benefits of your FiST.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #11
I'll offer hope, either that or dispair across the board, 6 of one, half dozen of the other...I got my FiST stock power aside from an intake (@26k mi). In the last year i have added Indy 500s, a Whoosh hybrid, catless DP, FMIC, radiator, and 3" catback, currently tuning for e30 with Dizzy. As is, it's supposed to make something like 300whp. Tonight i happened across an article on the Civic Type R and people talk about how fast it is but it's only got 306 bhp (like 270whp?) and it's 400lb more than our FiSTs. And it's 40 grand new. As fast as we can cheaply make our Fords fast, i'd still want more power if i could. It's fast as hell now but i have learned in exactly one year of modding, it will never be enough. Give me a 700hp Focus RS and i will still want more.

So i guess my point is, no matter how green the grass is on the other side, it will always turn brown very quickly. I find keeping in mind our specs vs similar priced cars helps keep my eye from wandering. Even on 93 my turbo upgrade was a HUGE difference, ince you get the turbo tuned the fun will ensue. Perhaps a "cheaper" mod you can look at in the meantime is super sticky tires, i find 2nd gear is probly losing 40% to wheel spin even on my Indys. I had stock with e30 and it was great, then i got used to it. Now i have this setup and i will eventually get used to it and want more. No car likely in our price range will solve that, so just keep in mind the benefits of your FiST.
This is where I’m at. I appreciate the car, but I want a little more from it. Not looking to make some freeway monster or roll race car. Not looking to make a dyno queen with numbers. Just something that doesn’t fall off. It has sticky tires now, it’ll kind spin/skate first, skate 2nd, and compose itself in 3rd for the most part. The choked out inefficient turbo feeling is meh/cringe.

Last edited:
OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #12
One thing to consider might be changing your priorities for the car, and refocusing on what it does best. The car's main strength is its quick and agile handling. It was never meant to be a crazy fast car in a straight line.That said, I find the stock power to be satisfying. I added a satisfying extra bump of power with the Mountune MP215 tune, and I'm happy with it, it hits a sweet spot for me.Continuing to chase huge power in this car,which it wasn't designed for, can be a recipe for dissatisfaction.
It might be that if you refocused on how fun it is to drive with the go-kart like handling, and how well balanced it is overall at a ridiculously cheap price, you might start finding it satisfying again.
If you're wondering if I have experienced a truly fast car, the answer is yes. I came to this car from an E90 M3, a 414 horsepower V8 with a nutty 8400 RPM red line.That car was really fast, but the problem for me was you couldn't really enjoy it without getting into illegal territory so fast.If I have a car that can go zero to 100 in about 10 seconds, I want to go zero to 100 in about 10 seconds.
I'm a mostly retired lawyer who has handled thousands of traffic tickets.Here in Central North Carolina where I practiced, every county has a point for a speeding ticket after which they won't plea bargain anymore. That speed is generally around 95 to 100. This means if you get a ticket going that fast, you're basically stuck with it, the DA will not reduce it. The consequences are then losing your license for a year, and maybe getting a limited driving privilege to drive to school or work if the judge is in a good mood. Your insurance also at least quadruples for 3 years. Do the math, that's a lot of money.
I'm also not interesting in pushing huge horsepower out of my car because it appears that it can handle up to 300 horsepower without compromising reliability too much. After that point, it becomes more problematic.It also avoids the situation where you're going 60 mph, you punch the gas, and in about 4 or 5 seconds you're going 100. At that point if a cop pulls you you're pretty damn screwed.
This is just something to consider before you take the drastic step of selling the car because it's not fast enough for you in a straight line.
You’re looking at it from a different standpoint I think. I’ve road raced many cars for years of all sorts of power levels. Autocrossed an n/a SVT Focus for years before this car. I know how to appreciate a car and use it’s power. I love everything about this car. I don’t love maxing out a tiny turbo and blowing a bunch of hot air, and I don’t like the power falling off up top and it falling on its face. I’m not trying to make big numbers. I’m trying to be efficient. That’s where I’m at right now. I’m far from reckless. I have multiple supersport bikes I road race and ride on the road. Just because the power is there doesn’t mean I always need to use it.
I’m jealous of the BMW. That’s probably my most wanted BMW. I’ve had Audi’s, Volvo’s, and VR6 VW’s as far as euro cars go.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I don't think you're ever going to get this engine to wind out and keep making power to the top. It's made for low end torque. Shift early and often.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Id suggest buying some large Gas containers and making a journey to grab some E85* Worth every penny*IMO especially if you're on the stock snail still!
Everything this man says is right and true.

I have x2 3 gallon containers I use for ethanol. Hit the station, test the gas real quick, if it's good put 3 in the car and 3 in each container and you're set for about 1000 miles.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #15
Everything this man says is right and true.

I have x2 3 gallon containers I use for ethanol. Hit the station, test the gas real quick, if it's good put 3 in the car and 3 in each container and you're set for about 1000 miles.
How many miles do you get out of a tank of gas with e30? Most of my driving is in town, I don’t do much long straight freeway driving. I generally average 25-28mpg in town. I’m still upgrading turbos no matter what lol but may try this drum idea. I have them at my work I can take(still an auto tech).

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You’re looking at it from a different standpoint I think. I’ve road raced many cars for years of all sorts of power levels. Autocrossed an n/a SVT Focus for years before this car. I know how to appreciate a car and use it’s power. I love everything about this car. I don’t love maxing out a tiny turbo and blowing a bunch of hot air, and I don’t like the power falling off up top and it falling on its face. I’m not trying to make big numbers. I’m trying to be efficient. That’s where I’m at right now. I’m far from reckless. I have multiple supersport bikes I road race and ride on the road. Just because the power is there doesn’t mean I always need to use it.
I’m jealous of the BMW. That’s probably my most wanted BMW. I’ve had Audi’s, Volvo’s, and VR6 VW’s as far as euro cars go.
I was in the same situation as you. I put the MP215 kit on my car within 1,000 miles of buying it. Installed by Ford and ran it up until my extended warranty expired, then went to stage 2+E30 which was fine for about a year. Put a GTX2860 and have only run it on 93 and it makes a massive difference. It’s still quick around town at low speeds, provided that you keep it at 4500+ rpm, but now it’ll pull hard all the way to the 7k rev limiter so it’s useful on the highway too. Can’t recommend a turbo upgrade highly enough. I’m around 285whp and it’s a totally different car, in a good way.

jeff

2000 Post Club
How many miles do you get out of a tank of gas with e30? Most of my driving is in town, I don’t do much long straight freeway driving. I generally average 25-28mpg in town. I’m still upgrading turbos no matter what lol but may try this drum idea. I have them at my work I can take(still an auto tech).
I have a hybrid turbo, keep that in mind. I get around 26mpg around town on e30 and I drive like a hoon. That's around 300 miles per tank, a bit more if I risk it. Keep in mind ethanol doesn't keep as long regular gas (with e10 mix out of the pump) so you don't want to much in storage that it starts going bad. But it's easy. e30 mixes were intimidating to me when I started but now it's like autopilot. My only issue is the nearest e85 about 30 minutes out of my way. But no big deal.

Main thing if you go ethanol is test it. Every time. If you put bad stuff in your car it won't be happy. Buy a cheap tester (they are like $10), pump a few ounces into a cap or something, test real quick, then you'll know. I've found "e85" that was about e80 (which is great) and other "e85" that was really e30 (horrible). So make sure you test and only put good stuff in your car. Sometimes facebook groups that are local will have the intel on where the quality ethanol is.

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #18
I was in the same situation as you. I put the MP215 kit on my car within 1,000 miles of buying it. Installed by Ford and ran it up until my extended warranty expired, then went to stage 2+E30 which was fine for about a year. Put a GTX2860 and have only run it on 93 and it makes a massive difference. It’s still quick around town at low speeds, provided that you keep it at 4500+ rpm, but now it’ll pull hard all the way to the 7k rev limiter so it’s useful on the highway too. Can’t recommend a turbo upgrade highly enough. I’m around 285whp and it’s a totally different car, in a good way.
That’s exactly what I’m looking for lol. Just something to pull up top and be there if I want it there. That makes me feel hopeful about the S280 because when I was reading on it there was a guy that was comparing all the turbo upgrades for our cars and he said the 2860 and s280 look extremely similar on paper as far as logs go etc. Now I’m getting more excited. Lol

OP
fk8fist
Thread Starter #19
I have a hybrid turbo, keep that in mind. I get around 26mpg around town on e30 and I drive like a hoon. That's around 300 miles per tank, a bit more if I risk it. Keep in mind ethanol doesn't keep as long regular gas (with e10 mix out of the pump) so you don't want to much in storage that it starts going bad. But it's easy. e30 mixes were intimidating to me when I started but now it's like autopilot. My only issue is the nearest e85 about 30 minutes out of my way. But no big deal.

Main thing if you go ethanol is test it. Every time. If you put bad stuff in your car it won't be happy. Buy a cheap tester (they are like $10), pump a few ounces into a cap or something, test real quick, then you'll know. I've found "e85" that was about e80 (which is great) and other "e85" that was really e30 (horrible). So make sure you test and only put good stuff in your car. Sometimes facebook groups that are local will have the intel on where the quality ethanol is.
I have an app on my phone that usually tells me stuff like that too. I’m gonna upgrade my turbo before I go e30 and see where I’m at.

S280 and fuel system upgrade transforms the car. No stock v8 can hang and they look dumfounded as to what just happened. :LOL: I went s280 without the fuel upgrades first and while it was awesome it didn't seem enough for me. I'm still on e30 and about to go to e50 and its a wicked ride. It still has tons of torque down low and everywhere really. Plus, you will turn a lot of car people's heads when they hear that turbo whistle.