Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Godspeed MonoSS Coilover install guide and review

Just finished up installing coilovers from godspeed. They are one of the cheapest options for the fiST that still have dampening adjustability.

It took me 3 hours with no power tools and some minor hiccups. If you have power tools I'd plan for about 2 hours.

Tools Needed:
Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
Breaker Bar(Makes life easier)
5mm Allen
15mm Socket
14mm Socket
18mm Deep socket
10mm Socket
Flathead screwdriver
Pliers(Makes life easier)
Jack and stands

I did the fronts first then rears, thought its personal preference. The rears have to be done simultaneously.

1) Loosen your lugnuts then jack up the car

2) Remove the 10mm brake line support
20190629_155401.jpg

3) Remove the Sway bar endlink nut with the 5mm allen and 15mm wrench (top left of image 2)

4) Remove rubber abs sensor wire clip (middle left of image 2)
20190629_155431.jpg

4.5) Use pliers or a flathead to pry the plastic clip holding the abs sensor wire. The godspeed coilovers have a hole for you to zip tie the wire to but no hole for the clip.

5) Remove the 2 bolts holding the knuckle on to the coilover assembly with the 18mm socket and 15mm wrench (see image 3)
20190629_155403.jpg

6) In the engine bay remove the 3 nuts holding the top of the coilover with a 12mm wrench. On the driver side there is the brake/clutch fill reservoir in the way. remove the 2 nuts with a 10mm wrench. (see image 4)
20190629_155439.jpg

7) Pull out the stock coilover and install the new coilover in the reverse order.

Now for the rears - I've only worked on cars with coilovers in the rear so I forgot to take some pics while I was fumbling through the process. Apologies!

8) Remove the bolt holding the lower end of the shock on both sides with a 15mm socket (see image 5) You need to have both sides removed so the (torsion bar?) will drop down enough to remove the old springs. (I fumbled with that a bit at first)
20190629_175202.jpg

9) In the wheelwell remove all 7 of the circular spoked clips to remove the fabric inner wheelwell thing(no picture sorry!). This will allow you access to the the last 2 bolts you need to remove the shocks. Use a 10mm socket with extension. (see image 6) I had so many spiderwebs in there
20190629_172013.jpg
10) Drop out the old shocks and bolt up the new ones with those 2 bolt holes. Leave the bottom bolt out for now.

11) Use the jack to start jacking up the (torsion bar?) to get the bolt holes close to lining up with the bottom of the shocks. Leave some space to be able to wiggle the springs in place so they dont fall out. Now you can put the springs in, Rubber side down with the Aluminum perches on top. Jack it up the rest of the way to get the bold through the bottom of the shocks (see image 5)

12) Reinstall the fabric liner and start adjusting the heights to your preference!

Some issues I had while installing mine:
The brake line bracket slot on the fronts were too small to allow the brake line clip to fit inside. I had to bend them out.
The slots that accept the knuckle on the fronts were far too open - I had to crank the living shit out the bolts to "clamp" it up to the sides of the knuckle.
The powder coating is thick, I had to tap the knuckle bolts through the holes to get them through.
The rear shocks thread up and down inside the bottom section, one of them was seized and I spent about 15 min wrestling with it. I have a feeling some powder coat made its way inside with the threads.

Some Notes:
Update - they go much higher than I thought. You can extend the entire front coilover length by unscrewing the shock and spring assembly from the base.
Front damper adjust is easy to access, however the rears would require removing the fabric liner because its up at the top near the 2 10mm bolts. (That kinda sucks for anyone who wants to dial for autocross/track day like me)

Final verdict on build quality:
The build quality is good overall, the machining on the aluminum parts is average (I'm a machinist so these are the things I look at lol) The anodize, while a strange color choice, is good. 90% of my issues were due to some thick ass powder coat.

For 684$ shipped I can't see anyone else making better coilovers. I can't recommend YET as I have under a mile on them. But that initial test drive felt good, really good. I'm going for a canyon session tomorrow morning and with update after. Hope this has some useful info for anyone in the market!

Oh and here is where it sits with the fronts maxed and the rear at about 50% height
20190629_192106.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome write up, looking forward to a follow up review on how they do in the canyons.

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #5
Update - Im stoopid lol. I was fighting with rub last night while driving a buddy around so I took a look to see what I could do this morning. The entire spring/shock assembly unscrews from the mounting base on the fronts. Once you lock up the spring compression nuts you can use them to unscrew it from the base to raise/lower. It has a jam nut on the bottom to lock it when your done. I edited the post.
Screenshot_6.png

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #6
So attempt 1 at twisties resulted in utter failure. I was rubbing my inner fenders on medium cornering so I went back home and jacked up all 4 sides. Attempt 2 was beyond words. It feels like a whole different car. The stability and lack of body roll even at 100% send is amazing. I caught up to an m4 and s3 that were out joy riding and they had nothing on me. I was on their tail the entire time and had more to give. That's with all seasons to boot. Initial driving impressions - 100% worth every penny. They could be 200$ more and I'd still recommend them. Now for the test of time . One thing to note - the rear springs settled almost 1/4" lower after my second drive. Which is good for me, I made them a little too high and now it sits nice and even.

What size wheel/tire you running? Glad to hear the initial impressions are positive, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Bilstein B14 kit - this is food for thought!

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #8
What size wheel/tire you running? Glad to hear the initial impressions are positive, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Bilstein B14 kit - this is food for thought!

Stock 17x7 205/40/17 on an et40 wheel. The rub honestly wasnt horrible, it ended up being the top of the wheelwell. Over time the wheels would have made their own clearance but I'm not about that lol. I have a 2 finger gap all around currently with front springs preloaded a bunch and dampening all the way hard for now. Here's a picture of the rub
20190630_082536.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I may be in Cali soon enough...I may try to hunt you down if your still a FiSTer....and not be like the others and trade your car in like a wanksta!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #12
I may be in Cali soon enough...I may try to hunt you down if your still a FiSTer....and not be like the others and trade your car in like a wanksta!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Awesome! This car is stayin with me for a looong time :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #14
Looming at these because im cheap.lol. my guess is id want to find some sort of coating for the threads for winter time. Like a thick wax.
I give them my recommendation! I believe the threaded sections are stainless, next time i have the front wheels off Ill put a magnet to it to verify

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Please keep me informed. If its stainless im totally down for pink and white coilovers.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Doing a follow up Maiyo! What are your thoughts now after driving on them for a bit? Likes ? Dislikes?

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #20
Found some other Coilovers just searching around the interweb....on the Cheap! Especially for PunkST! I may just sell my springs and shock and get these!

https://shop.redline360.com/product...=USD&msclkid=ea7ec895636c1eb25f3f957224d568a6
Holy those are cheap!! If the claims of reliability and damping adjustment are true those may be the way to go. Everything with my godspeeds have been great so far! No issues whatsoever- no squeaks or rattles, and the damping adjustment is great for autocross/trackdays. My only "gripe" is no built in camber adjust tophat. Using the camber bolts works but with wider tires they can get pretty damn close to the height adjustment nut locks. Seperate rebound adjust would be great as well but at this price point I'm happy to just have damping lol. They get 2 thumbs up from me!