Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Good shop in Denver?

BLUF: looking to get a good shop to run test for an engine block crack or blown gasket? not sure what cost on these go

Long story.... car overheated, didn't have enough coolant after a flush I did in a bit of a rush. Added coolant immediately... wrench light went off but engine light stayed on...was told it was a code P1299 (no bueno) and thermostat may be stuck. Got home and reset of codes.... the light has not returned after about 100 miles driving in mountains. Car has not overheated or taken long to warm up. Was told to check for internal cracks on engine just to be safe. Oil looks ok and not milky, coolant looks ok too.

I am a bit paranoid since my goof may have damaged car in some way and definitely do not want to get stuck anywhere. since i am paranoid i am planning on swapping for a 180 motorcraft thermo and perhaps mountune radiator if everything checks out mainly bc car has overheated before this whole mess i created driving from utah to denver and again just at RMNP...Additionally i now have a permanent door ajar on my dash not sure if this is related (hoping door latch recall may fix this) since this is new...would appreciate some insights other than telling me the obvious that i effed up pretty bad :( lol.

edit: also dont know if this is related since i didnt run ForScan until after incident..... code B119F, additional fault symptom Circuit open.
RFA- U0001 and U0010 for high and medium speed can comm bus also showing up however for some reason the malfunction indicator lamp is off for the DTC not sure how to turn these back on and fix.

any insights will be severly appreciated.

14FiST 87K

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Cars can overheat and not suffer any mechanical damage. The engine code you got was just saying that the cylinder head overheated. If you're not getting coolant into the oil, it's probably fine. If you are really concerned you could do a compression test.

Most common problem after overheating is probably blown head gasket, often due to cylinder head warping. Cracks less common. So if you aren't having symptoms of blown head gasket and you don't find coolant level mysteriously dropping over time (assuming you get it properly filled and burped--look for threads recently posted about how to do that) then you likely have not encountered any engine damage.

OP
deegs28
Thread Starter #4
Yeah I just was over analyzing it, haven't had any troubles after reset. Car is warming up fine and cooling down fine. Thank you!