Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Good Tire on sale at Tire Rack

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hello to all my fellow forum members. I just received a set of these Kumho Ecsta LE maximum performance summer tire yesterday and just wanted to share with the community. Very good tire very comparable to the stock Bridgestone Re50a that come on our cars. These tires received pretty good reviews from tire Rack and other tire sites. I know it's not for everyone, particularly if you only use one set of tires year round and see snow in your neck of the woods. I can say that they do ride more comfortably than the stockers. I'll report on handling once I've broken them in. Just wanted to share a great deal with you guys for those using 17" rims. A good day to all.
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDet...o&tireModel=Ecsta+LE+Sport&partnum=14YR7ELEXL

DP03

So this tire will provide a larger overall diameter than the stock size. How does that affect speedometer, etc?

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Not sure on the exact amount of change but the revs per mile are 874 for this tire vs. around 886 for 205/40/17 bridgestones. I'm assuming a 2 mile an hour variation on speedometer. I would have to datalog to know for sure.

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
So after driving approximately 100 Milton the Kumhos, I can say they do indeed ride softer, offer more grip, and offer less sharp turn in. This us comparing them to the stock Bridgestones in size 205/40/17 as compared to the 215/40/17 the Kumhos come in. I miss the responsiveness of the stock rubber, but enjoy the softer ride and increased grip. A good tire for general street use so far. Messed with tire pressure a little and improved turn in feel a bit.

Rhinopolis

Kuhmo is a great value brand, and I have put many sets on various cars over the years. I worked with Discount Tire Company while in college, and I started putting Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's on my then 2003 Acura rsx-s.

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Kuhmo is a great value brand, and I have put many sets on various cars over the years. I worked with Discount Tire Company while in college, and I started putting Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's on my then 2003 Acura rsx-s.
As have I. I wouldn't get these for all out performance, but as a street tire, they are a good tire especially if all you do is spirited driving. This is probably all the tire you will need. For me, they're a bit too soft in the sidewall. I like a stiff sidewall so that transitions are more immediate. The fact that hey are 215 as opposed to 205 makes the sidewall incrementally taller as well, which aids in comfort, but as stated previously makes turn in less immediate.

Speaking of Kumho..... [video]https://youtu.be/MOzZDOGFEyI?list=PLEJwK65YqbCgJ_9Fv667lEj1S2pdgPnBZ[/video]
at 1:24 in the commercial, that's me.

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Cool. So what model Kumho did they use in the test?

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
After 400 miles of driving I can report that if you run these tires at 41 front and 38 psi rear, it helps with the turn in feedback and immediacy. The ride will suffer a bit, but for me it's just right. Due to the wider contact patch over the stock 205 width Bridgestones, there seems to be a bit more stick. It's possible it could be I'm just comparing hem to the stockers that were fairly worn at time of replacement. For the price, I think they're a good buy.

Cool. So what model Kumho did they use in the test?
Kumho Ecsta v720 295/25R19 90Y (front) and 355/30R19 99Y for the dodge viper. No clue what the wear is on those tires, but I was pretty damn impressed with the level of grip. Given, I was also in an ACR and Audi r8, but it was a lot of fun.

OP
BronxBomber

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Sheesh. Not for nothing, but with that much rubber, any tire should grip like Velcro. Also helps that you were driving a Viper ACR which has more downforce than any other production vehicle made. I'm not trying to argue or anything, just would've been nice to have a more accessible vehicle in more common tire size and test them that way. Maybe a car like the Focus RS with 18" rubber. That would've been more telling and useful to the avg consumer and target audience. Again, just my .02