Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hawk - brake pad question

This last weekend at autocross the layout was forcing 3rd gear, with 2-3 heavy braking zones. Combine that with record hot weather and dual drivers resulted in brakes getting a bit soft. They never gave up, but wondering if a bit more stopping power would have helped.
Currently running the stock real Ford ST pads (original version, not the low dust version).

I have a couple Hawk certificates to use, so wondering if there is a Hawk pad people have used in AX successfully. I generally have a co-driver so cold temps aren't much of a concern (for me at least, he may disagree as 1st driver!). And street manners wouldn't matter. I would likely have a set of rotors matched with the pads to put on in extremely hot conditions.

Im thinking like DTC-60 fronts, but looking at charts, HP Plus seem very linear, but max out 600 deg.

Anyone with first hand experience in AX?

I ran hawk hp plus pads, stop tech slotted rotors with motul fluid at hpde. I was able to overheat pads on last session of hpde event in 100 degree heat but I would contribute some of the issue to my inexperience. I would suggest switching out brake fluid if you haven't already.

Admittedly, I have never AX'd but I've tried many of Hawk's line up throughout the years for track days and W2W racing. I'd think it would be difficult to keep the DTCs within their optimal temp range on an AX course.

Have you looked into the Blacks or Blues? They're not particularly rotor friendly but they are pretty good pads with decent modulation, and I'd think especially so for a light car like the FiST.

If it were me, I'd give the Blacks a try and go up from there if truly needed.

ronmcdon

DTC-40's would be the next step up from the Hp+ I believe. They also have lower temps and work well on the street in SoCal warm weather right now.
Have DTC-40 up front, Yellowstuff rears (leftover pads but will swap up for Hawk HP plus rears), endless rf650 fluid, stoptech slotted cryo rotors, ss lines, boomba deflectors. Love the bite and ease of modulating DTC-40s.

Not much experience with AutoX. However with brakes have yet to fail me in HPDE in triple digit weather back to back 20 min runs. Have them on the street too and they heat up very quickly. They're just a tad noisy. Maybe colder climates is another issue.

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

We ran Blacks and DTC-60s on our Endurance race Camaro, so know they work well. Looking at the FiST options, they dont make every compound for these cars, so the best compromise looks like DTC-30s front/rear. They have a low starting temp, but should hold up better then the stock pads when getting close to that 800-1k max temp.

And yes, I have Motul 600 fluid. Again, never failed to stop, just not as rock solid on that 2-3rd heavy stop. It may have nothing to do with the brakes overheating, just the available traction.