Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hello From Houston - A Newbie Needs Advice

cloudsol

Hello from Htown! I've had my 2015 FiST since April of '18. I LOVE IT! I don't know a whole lot about cars (and this is the first stick I've driven), but I've been making efforts to learn more. Right now I'm seeking some advice on maintenance (and hot tips) that perhaps the owner's manual doesn't cover. For oil changes a friend advised me that I should go with Amsoil at 5k mile intervals. I trust his advice bc he works on cars as his dayjob, but what do you think? * What tools should I get ASAP to start fiddling and tweaking? What can I tweak as a newbie? * Should I get a COBB stage 1 power pack? First mods? * I have trouble shifting smoothly from 1st to 2nd for some reason, as it jerks a bit. And shifting in general feels a bit too mechanical; should I lube the gearbox? * Even on the highway the ride is a bit bumpy, should I get fatter wheels? Will fatter wheels improve performance? * What should I inspect ASAP to make sure everything is ok? Thanks.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
There is a wealth of information here in this forum. I'm pretty sure all your questions have been discussed here at length. Do a search and enjoy many hours of reading ! And Welcome !

Hey, welcome!

IMHO, best beginning mods are as follows:
Cobb APv3 w/Flash tune (Dizzy / Stratified are great, I have / run both)
Drop in filter (K&N / green filter / mountune / ramair)
Rear motor mount (should help with your 1-2 shifts)
Front mount IC
Short throw shift adapter should also help with your 1-2 shifts. I also installed a boomba 370g oval shift knob. I like having the added weight at the end of the shift lever, gives more of a positive feel by way of mechanical advantage :) A tune will also help to clean this up, the two listed above I can personally vouch for.

Other stuff can come later, but these mods will net you the most noticeable gains, and a great way to really wake up the car without tearing into it too much.

Wider wheels won't necessarily improve your ride quality. If the ride is too harsh, a lot of users report that installing springs and shocks cleans it up a bit.
I personally am on stock suspension, but have changed out my wheels and tires for 15x6.5 Focal F05 (15.6 lbs!) wrapped in a set of Falken Azenis RT615k+ 205/50R15 89W.
The rolling diameter is close to stock, yet the taller sidewall (50 vs 40) absorbs the bumpies better than the stock tires.

I'll soon be installing an Eibach ProKit I picked up this week too :)

Welcome to a world of FiSTing!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome and like what others have said wealth of info here wihich can answer a lot of questions. If this is your first stick you’re probably still learning . Practice makes perfect in this department.
Amsoil is some of the best oil out there IMO. You could not go wrong using it. In terms of mods an Accessport with a custom Tune is almost a given IMO. Also a better FMIC than the factory one. Lighter wheels and Tires is another one that can helps loads. A lot of people delete the sound symposer and put on an aftermarket exhaust. Its more esthetics than pure performance you will gain from the exhaust . It just gives the car a cooler sportier note.
Just getting the Accessport gets you the Cobb OTS tunes and you can buy them (Accessports) new or used . New depending on who you buy one from could come loaded with their custom tunes beside the Cobb tunes.
You should read up on those.

Oh and a lot recommend RMM thats gonna have to be your decision it seems to be more of and issue with earlier years aka pre 17,18.

OP
C

cloudsol

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to use your keywords to do more research. [rockon]

Welcome! As others have said, a RMM will clean up your 1-2 shifts. The OEM RMM is too soft and allows the engine to move around, which is especially noticeable on the 1-2 shifts. Upgrading that will help, it'll clean up some of the wheel spin/torque steer, and you can really feel the car better.

The Cobb AP3 is the best money, performance wise, you can spend on a FiST. Even with the Cobb factory tunes, the power comes on much earlier and feels more linear that the stock tune. A custom tune will be even better if you go that route. I wanted my car to sound good, look good, and have some performance gains that wouldn't affect reliability or drivability for a good price. I hunted for deals on everything, so here's my result:

Cobb Accessport ($350 used)
AWR RMM 88ga ($60 used)
Cobb drop in air filter ($20 used)
Muffler/Resonator delete ($100) - I'll note that I do get drone, so do research before you do this.
BOV adapter for that obnoxiously awesome sound ($20 used)
Symposer delete (DIY, $3.99)
Rota Titans (traded my stock wheels plus $100)

So basically for $654, it feels like/looks like/sounds like an entirely different car and it hasn't compromised reliability or daily driving. The FiST is a ton of fun to drive and responds very well to a tune and small performance mods.

Hey, welcome!

IMHO, best beginning mods are as follows:
Cobb APv3 w/Flash tune (Dizzy / Stratified are great, I have / run both)
Drop in filter (K&N / green filter / mountune / ramair)
Rear motor mount (should help with your 1-2 shifts)
Front mount IC
Short throw shift adapter should also help with your 1-2 shifts. I also installed a boomba 370g oval shift knob. I like having the added weight at the end of the shift lever, gives more of a positive feel by way of mechanical advantage :) A tune will also help to clean this up, the two listed above I can personally vouch for.

Other stuff can come later, but these mods will net you the most noticeable gains, and a great way to really wake up the car without tearing into it too much.

Wider wheels won't necessarily improve your ride quality. If the ride is too harsh, a lot of users report that installing springs and shocks cleans it up a bit.
I personally am on stock suspension, but have changed out my wheels and tires for 15x6.5 Focal F05 (15.6 lbs!) wrapped in a set of Falken Azenis RT615k+ 205/50R15 89W.
The rolling diameter is close to stock, yet the taller sidewall (50 vs 40) absorbs the bumpies better than the stock tires.

I'll soon be installing an Eibach ProKit I picked up this week too :)

Welcome to a world of FiSTing!
Would you mind sending some pics of your car with the tire setup you mentioned? I’m interested in doing the same. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk