Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help me choose an OBD scan tool

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
So I have 3 cars and the old lady has her outback as well. I want to pick up a sort of general purpose scan tool but I want to make sure I dont buy a piece of crap or something missing key features. Anyhow I was thinking about the Zurich Z13S harbor freight tool Which is 170 dollar range. I am not looking for full function mechanic but more of a driveway diy type thang. What do you guys like?

I am in the mood to run out and buy now but if there is something I can order online that rocks I can hold off too.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I use a different android app with a bluetooth adapter. It gives me codes, looks up causes, I can do continuous monitoring of ignition, fuel injection, etc. And reset codes.

I've had best luck with Autel.
They have cheap $25 readers up to $500+ bidirectional units and all steps between.

I got a really nice one on a Napa sale.

TLDR their site....does it do ABS and airbags?
That's exactly what I was going to recommend before you consider buying one. I bought a cheap reader that works perfectly but it does engine codes only. Once I found out that there were other codes and that not all readers access them, I wished I would have looked closer.

The ones that I remember could do ABS & Airbags started in the $70 range like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV6ZBV...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
That's exactly what I was going to recommend before you consider buying one. I bought a cheap reader that works perfectly but it does engine codes only. Once I found out that there were other codes and that not all readers access them, I wished I would have looked closer.

The ones that I remember could do ABS & Airbags started in the $70 range like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV6ZBV...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
I have an older Innova scanner that doesn't do ABS or air bags. 3110 I think? Otherwise, it's still usable. Can't even sell it for $100 (paid over twice that over a decade ago)