Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help Me Diagnose Suspension Noises

I'm looking for hints from some of the mechanically inclined FiST experts here about how to figure out a couple of suspension creaking and clunking/popping noises. It's driving me mad and just can't seem to figure out the source of it. The car is a 2019 with 27k miles

Clunking/Popping Noise: I get a minor clunk/popping noise that sounds like it is from the front suspension that I can also feel in the floor. It happens some times (but not all!) when I am turning and going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. Perfect example is when I go to back the car into my driveway--it happens almost every time. But it won't make the noise if I try to replicate it and go forward and reverse again so it seems the suspension needs to be loaded up in a particular way. No noise at all when at higher speeds and car drives normally.
Creaking Noise: New minor creaking that I've heard a few times in the last month when slowly taking a left turn and unwinding the turn and accelerating. The noise mysteriously started after a road trip to Idaho in a snow storm on some really salty roads. Maybe unrelated and just some dried rubber bushings or something like that?

Current Mods on the Car: Stock except for a RMM, torsion bar, rear trunk/hatch brace.
Previous Mods: Bilstein B14s, 2 point traction bar, brakes, Mountune tune, intercooler and air box.

Other info:
-Addmittedly the car has had somewhat of a hard life so far. Lot's of track days, winter driving on shitty snowy roads, summer driving on gravel roads, and everything in between.
-I think the clunk started sometime around when I installed the traction bar or the Bilsteins or the RMM, which all happened in a 3 month span...but I'm not sure. I always assumed the bar was the issue and couple times I tried loosening the bolts and retorquing (wheels on the ground) with no change.
-Last night I finally said f- it and removed the traction bar. I went to back the car out of the garage and parked it in driveway. Got the clunk immediately when reversing into the driveway. :mad:
-At this point I've double- and triple- checked all bolts I've touched on the suspension.

What am I missing here? The noise isn't terribly loud but I want to figure it out to be sure it's not anything unsafe or doesn't fail at a bad time...like in the middle of nowhere on a road trip or when my wife takes the car.

Let's hear your thoughts!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm looking for hints from some of the mechanically inclined FiST experts here about how to figure out a couple of suspension creaking and clunking/popping noises. It's driving me mad and just can't seem to figure out the source of it. The car is a 2019 with 27k miles

Clunking/Popping Noise: I get a minor clunk/popping noise that sounds like it is from the front suspension that I can also feel in the floor. It happens some times (but not all!) when I am turning and going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. Perfect example is when I go to back the car into my driveway--it happens almost every time. But it won't make the noise if I try to replicate it and go forward and reverse again so it seems the suspension needs to be loaded up in a particular way. No noise at all when at higher speeds and car drives normally.
Creaking Noise: New minor creaking that I've heard a few times in the last month when slowly taking a left turn and unwinding the turn and accelerating. The noise mysteriously started after a road trip to Idaho in a snow storm on some really salty roads. Maybe unrelated and just some dried rubber bushings or something like that?

Current Mods on the Car: Stock except for a RMM, torsion bar, rear trunk/hatch brace.
Previous Mods: Bilstein B14s, 2 point traction bar, brakes, Mountune tune, intercooler and air box.

Other info:
-Addmittedly the car has had somewhat of a hard life so far. Lot's of track days, winter driving on shitty snowy roads, summer driving on gravel roads, and everything in between.
-I think the clunk started sometime around when I installed the traction bar or the Bilsteins or the RMM, which all happened in a 3 month span...but I'm not sure. I always assumed the bar was the issue and couple times I tried loosening the bolts and retorquing (wheels on the ground) with no change.
-Last night I finally said f- it and removed the traction bar. I went to back the car out of the garage and parked it in driveway. Got the clunk immediately when reversing into the driveway. :mad:
-At this point I've double- and triple- checked all bolts I've touched on the suspension.

What am I missing here? The noise isn't terribly loud but I want to figure it out to be sure it's not anything unsafe or doesn't fail at a bad time...like in the middle of nowhere on a road trip or when my wife takes the car.

Let's hear your thoughts!
Check the sway bar links and bushings* this will have to be done off the ground and preferably with a hoist.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys! I didn't think to check the bushings at this mileage but I know the end links are good. I also checked the RMM...but havent' looked at the PMM.

Looks like I have to put the snow tires back on the car tomorrow so I'll take a look at things then.

Check the torque on everything including the control arm bolts where they connect to the subframe. I’d assume you’d already have done that but didn’t see it mentioned in your post, so sorry if that’s redundant. I rebuilt a wrecked salvage title ST and have had the entire front end apart to replace the subframe and can tell you it’s not that big of a job to do it. If the noise is that bad might be worth digging that deep into it.

OP
E
Thread Starter #7
That was easy...it was the sway bar. Both the the bushings and endlinks seemed fine but I disconnected one of the end links and the noise is gone. I didn't think they'd fail that soon but it'll be an easy and cheap fix.

Thanks again, guys! I appreciate the help.