Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heres a fun one!

I just rolled over 1400 miles on my 2017 FiST. Since I picked my car up at the dealership it has made a faint knocking sound from the engine/trans while idling. More specifically once the oil temp gets to safe operating range. It goes away when the RPMs are increased. Any ideas what could be causing this mystery noise?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I just rolled over 1400 miles on my 2017 FiST. Since I picked my car up at the dealership it has made a faint knocking sound from the engine/trans while idling. More specifically once the oil temp gets to safe operating range. It goes away when the RPMs are increased. Any ideas what could be causing this mystery noise?

Mine does the same thing 2016 st. The noise is very annoying , i think it comes from the valve tappets. I put 5w30 it helped a bit, there's a thread here somewhere. People say it's nothing to worry about. But i still hate that sound.

OP
D3R3K
Thread Starter #3
Mine does the same thing 2016 st. The noise is very annoying , i think it comes from the valve tappets. I put 5w30 it helped a bit.
Mine seems a little deeper in tone. The injector ticking is quite obvious but this almost sounds like spun rod bearing knocking. I wouldnt imagine that its something that serious because the engine would have popped a while ago. There is only 400 miles on the current oil change so its not scorched oil either. Im at a loss. [emoji848]

Mine seems a little deeper in tone. The injector ticking is quite obvious but this almost sounds like spun rod bearing knocking. I wouldnt imagine that its something that serious because the engine would have popped a while ago. There is only 400 miles on the current oil change so its not scorched oil either. Im at a loss. [emoji848]

When i first heard that sound i was thinking the same thing. You should bring it to the dealership right away.

OP
D3R3K
Thread Starter #5
When i first heard that sound i was thinking the same thing. You should bring it to the dealership right away.
Thats the plan, I just wanted to try figuring it out just so I dont end up wasting their time if its something stupid

Zormecteon

I hear a faint ticking on mine too, and I thought it was the tappets .. BUT when I push in the clutch, the sound goes away... and If I then let out the clutch softly, the sound does NOT return. It's been doing this for about a year... no problems. 50,000 miles

OP
D3R3K
Thread Starter #8
Dual mass flywheel noises.
I did think about that but I've had other cars with dual mass flywheels that never made that noise. I was hesitant to believe that was causing it, but it seems to be the only thing that would make sense. Its not a consistent rythem of "knocking".