Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Honeycomb detailing

How does everyone clean and detail the honeycomb front and back? Any secret tricks?
It's such a PITA to keep it clean or to detail it after a wash and wax.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
And does it just snap out like the lower grill in front of the intercooler?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Front snaps in from the inside, have to removed the bumper cover.

Not sure on the rear, I looked some time ago, I think even it it pops out it might still require pulling the bumper cover off which I have not done yet.

I want to sand the rear like I did the front and fully open up the airflow.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
And does it just snap out like the lower grill in front of the intercooler?
Front snaps in from the inside, have to removed the bumper cover.
Sourskittle is talking about the lower grill, not the front honeycomb area. The lower grill can come off without taking the bumper cover off. You just pull and it snaps off.

To the OP, get some nice spray detailer and saturate the rear honeycomb, then go over a couple times with a nice microfiber towel. Works for me until it gets dirty two hours later. ;)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I use a pressure washer set up with a foam gun to clean mine. First foam the honeycomb bits, as well as the rest of the car, wipe the painted parts with a microfiber mitt, then, using the pressure washer, set up so it has a fan spray, rinse the car off. To prevent waterspots, I use a master blaster to blow all the water off of the honecomb crevices. To keep these clean, I use Sonax polymer net shield to keep dirt from sticking. I've found this works great on the front and back plastic honeycomb parts.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks for the info, I have not had to deal with it yet, 1844 miles on the car, never in the rain....

I am considering having the rear grill, front lower and fog trim panels painted in gloss black to match the upper grill, might show some dirt more but maybe easier to clean.

Is there a type of paint that is best, easier to clean?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Rick, I order my paint from automotivetouchup.com. They have color match paints in different sizes, from gallons down to paint pens. I like the aerosol cans. I have a two step black + gloss that I'm going to use on my fog light covers and lower grill.