Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How much do rear brakes matter on track?

Years ago I did the same mistake on my Focus ST170.
In front I had DS3000 pads (with new rotors), rear was stock.
Friction coeff. 0,58 front EDIT: Sorry, 0,48 in avg., 0,28 rear.
Result was, that with less power on brake pedal I had the same stopping power.
Nice.
But after 12 000 km were both front pads and rotors worn.
With new rotors and pads DS3000 all the way round I did 50 000 km on it with even better stopping power.

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I suppose I’m an Ape [emoji23] I definitely won’t disagree with that. Apes also spend $1000 on rear brakes then say they aren’t worth it. We must be cousins. [emoji8]
Jumped into a comment that had nothing to do with you, eh? Feeling lonely in your troop?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Years ago I did the same mistake on my Focus ST170.
In front I had DS3000 pads (with new rotors), rear was stock.
Friction coeff. 0,58 front, 0,28 rear.
Result was, that with less power on brake pedal I had the same stopping power.
Nice.
But after 12 000 km were both front pads and rotors worn.
With new rotors and pads DS3000 all the way round I did 50 000 km on it with even better stopping power.
I don’t follow. I use XP8s from Carbotech up front - and, they stop the car much quicker than the OEM. Additionally, they don’t have the fade that the OEMs exhibited. And, yes, they wear out quicker and so do the rotors. That’s what happens when you use a pad that’s designed to do just that.

Better pad - as in shorter stopping distance - comes at the expense of more frequent replacement of the consumables. They rub each other out, what with the “friction coefficient “.

1) I don’t follow.
2) I use XP8s from Carbotech up front - and, they stop the car much quicker than the OEM. Additionally, they don’t have the fade that the OEMs exhibited.
Ad1: Your car, your decision.
Ad2: That's why people change the pads.
Using XP8s in the rear too, you will stop even quicker.