Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

? IAT/MAF spacer mod ?

I'm surprised no one is willing to just open their airbox and use their eyes and imagine....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Alright you jabronis, I did the math.

@Levi1.0 @M0LTEN @jeff

Assumptions
MAF Sensor Dimensions inside the intake tract are 2.75" x 0.5" x 2.0" (Before Spacer): Cross sectional area is 2.75" x 0.5"
MAF Sensor Dimensions inside the intake tract are 1.75" x 0.5" x 2.0" (After Spacer): Cross sectional area is 1.75" x 0.5"
Engine is flowing 35 LB/MIN air (Composition 21% O2, 79% N2)
**This is a lot of flow

MAF sensor cross sectional area is subtracted from intake tract cross sectional area and the resulting cross sectional area is treated as an orifice.

1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta (2.375" Intake Tract)
The stock pressure drop across the MAF sensor is .80" Hg
The pressure drop across the MAF sensor with spacer installed is .29" Hg

The change in pressure drop is -.51" Hg (~7"WC)

Fiesta ST (2.75" ID Intake Tract)
The stock pressure drop across the MAF sensor is .12" Hg
The pressure drop across the MAF sensor with spacer installed is .05" Hg

The change in pressure drop is -.07" Hg (~1" WC)

With an aftermarket 3" intake, the pressure drop delta between pre and post spacer would likely be zero. Hopefully you can see where I am going with this. The results in all cases are negligible.

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Perhaps the OP who created this part will send us a pic of the inside to show how far it is recessed.

As for my contributions, I now have data. First, thank you again to @M0LTEN for sharing this part with me and spending the time/money to ship it my way. I cannot say that this is the best data to prove anything, but as I mentioned yesterday my intention was to measure air flow mass, which I did. If this mod does anything it removes restriction to AFM.

Now, maybe it's because it's November, or maybe because of the phase of the moon, or maybe because Trump is president, or maybe because the groundhog didn't pop out this year, but my AFM is higher than it's ever been by about 1 psi. I'm surprised. I beat the car to death on the interstate this morning, 3rd gear and bounced off the limiter at 7200rpms, 42 degrees, same conditions as I previously achieved the 31.05 psi, yet today it was 31.91. I've monitored AFM a good bit and never seen it this high. The car feels no different, but this is something to note. Also note, even if the car is getting more air it doesn't mean it can make more power, as that may not be the lowest common denominator as it were to what brings power gains. All the air in the world won't matter if the car is out of fuel, which is the case/LCD as it were with my X47.

Still, this is interesting.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574254290438.html]
[/URL]

Thank you Jeff for testing.
Perhaps you could monitor the HP and Torque outputs now and see if they are about the same or higher/lower.
I know the access port is not the best measurement of those parameters but if nothings else has changed but this mod then
maybe we could get an idea.
I had thought that maybe what I am feeling is just a slight shift in how/when the turbo is spooling.
Keep in mind I only have the stock turbo, not sure if that matters or not.
To JDG: I was thinking in simpler terms of cross sectional area. this mod would add approx 5% more cross sectional area
in the stock airbox at that location.

Sorry to say that i did not take pictures of the intake before adding the spacer.
I will try and take some today.

wetwea33

Thank you Jeff for testing.
Perhaps you could monitor the HP and Torque outputs now and see if they are about the same or higher/lower.
I know the access port is not the best measurement of those parameters but if nothings else has changed but this mod then
maybe we could get an idea.
I had thought that maybe what I am feeling is just a slight shift in how/when the turbo is spooling.
Keep in mind I only have the stock turbo, not sure if that matters or not.
To JDG: I was thinking in simpler terms of cross sectional area. this mod would add approx 5% more cross sectional area
in the stock airbox at that location.

Sorry to say that i did not take pictures of the intake before adding the spacer.
I will try and take some today.
Perhaps the OP who created this part will send us a pic of the inside to show how far it is recessed.

As for my contributions, I now have data. First, thank you again to @M0LTEN for sharing this part with me and spending the time/money to ship it my way. I cannot say that this is the best data to prove anything, but as I mentioned yesterday my intention was to measure air flow mass, which I did. If this mod does anything it removes restriction to AFM.

Now, maybe it's because it's November, or maybe because of the phase of the moon, or maybe because Trump is president, or maybe because the groundhog didn't pop out this year, but my AFM is higher than it's ever been by about 1 psi. I'm surprised. I beat the car to death on the interstate this morning, 3rd gear and bounced off the limiter at 7200rpms, 42 degrees, same conditions as I previously achieved the 31.05 psi, yet today it was 31.91. I've monitored AFM a good bit and never seen it this high. The car feels no different, but this is something to note. Also note, even if the car is getting more air it doesn't mean it can make more power, as that may not be the lowest common denominator as it were to what brings power gains. All the air in the world won't matter if the car is out of fuel, which is the case/LCD as it were with my X47.

Still, this is interesting.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574254290438.html]
[/URL]
You guys get that the airflow numbers are inferred and aren't actually monitored.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

At this time I don't have access to the files. My laptop with files went Kaputs.
it will be at least 2 weeks before I can access the Hard drive with them.
No worries, thanks for the reply