Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

? IAT/MAF spacer mod ?

jeff

2000 Post Club
A forum member contacted me and asked if he could mail me (free) a mod he designed and printed on a 3D printer. This was a very kind gesture so I happily said "yes". I am looking for insight on whether this is snake oil or legitimate. I know some about our cars but I am not an engineer nor designer so I would like further commentary on the legitimacy of this idea based on understanding of the ECU and tuning compensation and other variables.

It is the infamous "IAT/MAF spacer mod".

From the designer:
"I have been running it for a couple of years now with no problems. I experimented with various heights and this is the max height without affecting the Intake temperature readings. The spacer moves the IAT sensor further outside the intake track and allows for a cleaner and more efficient airflow. Before you ask, I do not know if this adds any horsepower or torque. I can say that I do notice a difference with it installed. This sensor doesn't measure air flow or volume, only the incoming air temps. It is not an MAF, the only thing this fancy sensor does is measure the incoming air temps. You can research this on the forums for a verification. It doesn’t measure the amount of incoming air."

My thoughts:
I have seen these designed and for sale for other platforms. From what I understand I'm having a hard time thinking it will help because the ECU monitors temps and adjusts accordingly. It would seem that if it detects something off because of this mod it will simply compensate elsewhere which could have negative effects because it is basing that compensation on false information. Also it would seem that Ford would space the connector at the optimal place for optimal results. Though it will marginally help airflow/restriction issues, I am concerned that it will also actually restrict the amount of airflow that the MAF sensor can read which in turn causes the engine to believe its running rich, causing the PCM to induce negative fuel trims. From what I understand this will increase MPG but could lead to negative side effects on the valves and cat since the engine isn't running properly. Also I have a custom tune and I am concerned since it is not calibrated for this.

I have only a basic understanding of ECU function and tuning so I apologize if I am incorrect in anything I've said above.

Your thoughts? Please share.

See pics below, it is a very well made piece. It's installed in designer's car, not mine. Mine is the red one, I got bored so I painted it red, but it's still sitting in my garage.

I am bumping this in hopes that someone chimes in.
Before you ask, Yes I am the forum member who sent him a sample.
Jeff is being cautious as he should be and waiting for an answer as to whether or not this part will negatively affect his car.
I was hoping he could install it and let me/us know if it makes any improvements or not.
If it helps, great its a very cheap and easy mod.

Thank you forum members.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am bumping this in hopes that someone chimes in.
Before you ask, Yes I am the forum member who sent him a sample.
Jeff is being cautious as he should be and waiting for an answer as to whether or not this part will negatively affect his car.
I was hoping he could install it and let me/us know if it makes any improvements or not.
If it helps, great its a very cheap and easy mod.

Thank you forum members.
So am I correct in assuming that the purpose of this modification is to get this sensor out of the direct air stream in the pipe to reduce turbulence? Or to open up the cross section of the pipe to reduce pressure drop?

I can say with relative confidence that the effect of spacing out this sensor an inch or so outside the pipe with have negligible positive results on both the flow and pressure drop. It could yield positive effects, nonetheless, but they will be negligible and not be felt. Definitely some placebo effect being experienced by the designer.

yes, positive results in airflow. Some of the same results you might expect from say crossover pipes and intakes.
Could be placebo effect but that is why I asked Jeff to test it out for us.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
So am I correct in assuming that the purpose of this modification is to get this sensor out of the direct air stream in the pipe to reduce turbulence? Or to open up the cross section of the pipe to reduce pressure drop?

I can say with relative confidence that the effect of spacing out this sensor an inch or so outside the pipe with have negligible positive results on both the flow and pressure drop. It could yield positive effects, nonetheless, but they will be negligible and not be felt. Definitely some placebo effect being experienced by the designer.
I was thinking the exact same thing. May be a fraction of a square inch more air flow, but it's so small I can't realistically say it would be noticeable.

yes, positive results in airflow. Some of the same results you might expect from say crossover pipes and intakes.
Could be placebo effect but that is why I asked Jeff to test it out for us.
I still intend to test this out....I apologize for being so slow. Truth is I've hardly driven the Fiesta much in the last month or so since you sent the part, maybe a few times, as I've been out of town and out of the country a good bit, and when I have time to wrench I've been under all my other cars doing repairs or upgrades. Hah, on the way home in the Fiesta today (first drive in a week or more) the blend door actuator started clicking for the 2nd time. So much to do, when I get to your mod I want a clear head rather than throw it in and go. So I will get to this I promise, soon!!!!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I can't see it doing anything on a USDM vehicle because the MAF sensor is only measuring temp. On a Euro ST it would have a definite negative effect on how the MAF sensor measured air flow and probably cause a CEL. The position of where the MAF sensor sits in the housing and the ID of the MAF housing is very sensitive on these vehicles
The actual MAF sensor its self and I am referring to the plastic housing, is design to straighten the air flow as it flows past the sensor to reduce turbulence.
I am running MRP Performance MAF housing on my Euro ST which comes with a air flow straightener, see pic below.

MRP 1.jpg

wetwea33

This really won't do anything. Iats mean nothing on this car in terms of pulling timing. It uses charge temps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was recently wondering if something like this existed.
Seems like it'd work great on the US cars. The Maf sensor is a big restriction just to read temps. And, as mentioned, charge temps are most important. Looks like a cheap and easy mod to make the system more efficient.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was recently wondering if something like this existed.
Seems like it'd work great on the US cars. The Maf sensor is a big restriction just to read temps. And, as mentioned, charge temps are most important. Looks like a cheap and easy mod to make the system more efficient.
It is absolutely not a big restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fusion Works

Why not put a manometer on both sides of the meter and measure the pressure drop across the MAF. Then space it out and try it again. Doubt you will see a measurable difference. Besides what difference does it really make when most people are pretty underdeveloped on their car anyways?

*UPDATE* see my post below too. I almost did exactly that on my 1.0. The ST and 1.0 ALMOST have the exact same airbox and filter. (1.0 maf tube diameter is 2.375in. ST diameter is 2.75)
At full throttle (123hp worth of airflow) the stock airbox, filter, and maf housing sees a 21in/h2o pressure drop. Approx .75psi.

Inside airbox, before the filter sees 5in/h2o.

So air filter and Maf housing sees a 16in/h2o (.6psi). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test just the Maf housing. And again, this is at 123hp level on the 1.0 turbo. Im sure yall running at 200-250+hp levels will see an even bigger pressure drop. Sure, .6 or .75psi drop doesn't seem like much but the engine/turbo has to work that much harder to make up for it. Turbos dont provide "free" horsepower. Eliminating as much restriction as possible will just make your car that much more efficient at making power.

I'm sure this spacer is cheaper than almost any other mod we've done for just as much of an improvement...

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
@M0LTEN

I suggest sending one of your spacers to the gentleman above. He has the proper equipment and great enthusiasm. He might give us some objective data.

I plan on installing mine this weekend. I’ll measure air flow using my AP and report anything of interest. My baseline is about 31-31.5psi this time of year so we shall see.

I wouldn't mind testing it. BUT I do need to make some corrections to my previous post! And therefore my testing won't be as relevant to you ST guys.

I was under the impression that the ST and 1.0 airbox were exactly the same. They are not! They look the same and use the same air filter. I even read that they have the same MAF tube diameter! But talking with another member, the ST MAF tube diameter is 2.75in and my 1.0 tube is 2.375in diameter.

So... my MAF tube is significantly smaller diameter than yours but uses the same size sensor. So when I look into my MAF tube, the sensor is a big restriction. But probably not as much as yours is, as @JDG said.

I'm really sorry the bad info I had may have gotten you guys fired up or misled anyone.

@molten hopefully Jeff can get you some proof if it works or not. And I think it would appeal more to us 1.0 guys, as our maf tubes are quite a bit more restrictive. The US 1.0s also use MAP based tuning so i dont think the spacer will hurt anything.

No worries, I trust Jeff to test it out and give us some honest feedback.
We spend a lot of money on our intakes, me included, just for fractional improvements that can't be felt and or measured.
This cost me nothing more than some design time because I have access to a 3D printer. It has been on my car for approx. 3 years now
and hopefully for a lot longer.

P.S. if anyone wants a copy of the model I would be ok sending you a file. please let me know the file type you want, ie: IGES,STP,STL.
It was created using Creo 4.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Seems silly to me. The intake in these cars is probably the least restrictive thing in terms of airflow. We bottleneck at our stock turbos, nowhere else. A half inch thick sensor isn't going to disrupt airflow enough to negatively effect any type of horsepower, drivability, or anything else. This is especially a non issue since we do not use the MAF in our fueling calculations.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
OK I installed this today. Fits perfectly, nice job M0LTEN. As you can see we are getting about 1" less blockage. Below are some pictures. I'll check airflow readings in the next few days and report back, that's as I see it the best way to measure the effectiveness here. For reference at the bottom is my BEFORE airflow.

Whether or not this does anything, which I doubt it will, I think M0LTEN is a fine fellow who has made a fine piece of plastic here in hopes to assist the car's efficiency. The creative process alone makes this very interesting. What else could this guy come up with? The possibilities are limitless.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197666424.html]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197652063.html]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197644711.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/pipes-1/1547307118503.html]
[/URL][/URL]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
OK I installed this today. Fits perfectly, nice job M0LTEN. As you can see we are getting about 1" less blockage. Below are some pictures. I'll check airflow readings in the next few days and report back, that's as I see it the best way to measure the effectiveness here. For reference at the bottom is my BEFORE airflow.

Whether or not this does anything, which I doubt it will, I think M0LTEN is a fine fellow who has made a fine piece of plastic here in hopes to assist the car's efficiency. The creative process alone makes this very interesting. What else could this guy come up with? The possibilities are limitless.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197666424.html]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197652063.html]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574197644711.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/pipes-1/1547307118503.html]
[/URL][/URL]
Can you take a photo of the lid off and how far the sensor sticks into the tube?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Can you take a photo of the lid off and how far the sensor sticks into the tube?
I was about to unscrew all that and do that very thing, then I decided against it because the bottom line is we know it's one inch less using the measurements in my pictures above. Should barely poke in the circumference of the pipe now maybe a few mm.