Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ill be the ricer to ask it: Electronic exhaust cutouts

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #22
aftermarket downpipe wouldnt work either?
Not enough space in that area, plus downpipes are expensive, dont cut them in half if you dont absolutely have to.

Best place is to add it just after the downpipe between it and the cat back.

I personally ran the Varex muffler on my turbo cobalt SS and loved it. Prius like sound with the butterfly valve shut and a single seater airplane rumble with it open. 3" catless and no resonator led to lots of drone with no muffler. With the Varex muffler installed, it was quieter than stock and absolutely zero drone at any speed or engine loading. Paid over $400 before shipping from Australia when i purchased it back around 2009.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It may be fine with a stock exhaust.

But it is not worth it with a 3" CBE.

Dave

I'm seriously contemplating this option now that my downpipe is on the way from MAPerformance...I'm gonna start shopping them and reading reviews.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have a 3" QTP that I will sell if that is what you decide on.

Dave

a lot of the guys i used to run with in the GTO crowd ran cut outs, which is what made me curious about running one on the ST. they would install them between the cats (4 on those with the dual exhaust), and put a device in to fool the computer into thinking the second cat was still reading full exhaust flow. I think if you ran it before the cat, you might get a CEL. after the cat may not be as loud, but should still be a hell of a difference. and since the cat burns unburned fuel by way of, well, the catalyst, the chance for flame shootage should be hirer! I'm 40 but this car makes me want to behave like a complete asshat :D it's great. so yeah, loud and obnoxious out and about, and cut it down quiet in your neighborhood... don't shit where you sleep!

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #29
It may be fine with a stock exhaust.

But it is not worth it with a 3" CBE.

Dave
Please tell me you have a good quality sound clip of that sucker open!

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
The Focus RS has something similar when in Sport mode. A solenoid opens a valve on one of the exhaust tips and the tip is supplied by a tube going thru a different section of the muffler. One would assume that the section is a straight thru design compared to the normal mode side of the muffler.

2016 Ford Focus RS by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

so has anyone ventured out of the box and gotten an exhaust cutout? I'd really like to see about this so i can have fun on the weekends but not look like a douche at work. [werd]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am sure that with a stock exhaust a cutout would make a sound difference.
But with my 3' system there was very little change, so I took it off.
This is also why I have no sound clips, you could hardly tell the difference.
I should also add that there was no detectable power difference at all.

Dave

so has anyone ventured out of the box and gotten an exhaust cutout? I'd really like to see about this so i can have fun on the weekends but not look like a douche at work. [werd]
GT2554R to decat DP to Cobb CBE. First half is of video full exhaust. Second half is open cutout. Cut out is spliced into the area of where a factory resonator would be.

I maybe use it 10% of the time, it is LOUD. It does nothing but make more noise, no extra power or early spool as per real-life dyno runs. It is a single badlanz 2.5" cutout. I have to clean the carbon(?) building on the cutout otherwise it will not open when as highway speed temperture, but will open at idle after 2 min or so.

[video]https://youtu.be/HVLHcdM4rX0[/video]

I am sure that with a stock exhaust a cutout would make a sound difference.
THIS. It would seem that an aftermarket catback mostly provides "loud" and not much in the HP/TQ department. Same thing with intakes. Sometimes I just want to be able to hear the RPM's and not have to watch the tach - but as I mentioned previously, I don't want to be "that guy" at the office. I'd love to have an MBRP catback, but I don't want it all the time, so it seems I could probably save some dollars and get a cutout and have the best of both worlds.

So if anyone has stock exhaust and a cutout, I'm looking at you...

GT2554R to decat DP to Cobb CBE. First half is of video full exhaust. Second half is open cutout. Cut out is spliced into the area of where a factory resonator would be.

I maybe use it 10% of the time, it is LOUD. It does nothing but make more noise, no extra power or early spool as per real-life dyno runs. It is a single badlanz 2.5" cutout. I have to clean the carbon(?) building on the cutout otherwise it will not open when as highway speed temperture, but will open at idle after 2 min or so.

[video]https://youtu.be/HVLHcdM4rX0[/video]

GOOD GRIEF! I like the way it sounds... but it's a bit more "modified" than what I'm hoping to find right now. BTW, I'm digging your username and avatar [twothumb]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Sometimes I just want to be able to hear the RPM's and not have to watch the tach - but as I mentioned previously, I don't want to be "that guy" at the office.
Strange I can do this with just my Mountune exhaust it just took time to realise what the sound and RPM are. Now that said if you just want RPM sound maybe some modification to the symposer would be better for you so that the "loud" engine rumbling is only fed to you and therefore you are not that guy. Symposer is just an air drum being fed by boost pressure. Or maybe mount the cobb AP where you can see the tach graphically in your periphery.

GOOD GRIEF! I like the way it sounds... but it's a bit more "modified" than what I'm hoping to find right now. BTW, I'm digging your username and avatar [twothumb]
Thanks! My FiST is slowing becoming a Point A to Point A car. After the BT the car is slightly, quieter especially below 3.5K.