Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I'm at it again - fixing drone on a brand new MBRP

Thanks a lot ,the drone is driving me crazy at 3200 rpm. I'm gonna look in amazon for the vibrant, I want to archive the drone reduction you got in the second video.
Thanks again.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Thanks a lot ,the drone is driving me crazy at 3200 rpm. I'm gonna look in amazon for the vibrant, I want to archive the drone reduction you got in the second video.
Thanks again.
I'm just trying to clarify - it's not the vibrant that reduced the drone, even after the vibrant I had the boomy peaking at 3200RPM, what fixed the drone was the loop of pipe that looks like a trombone. Let me know what exhaust you have and I can take a look to see if you're likely to have enough room to do the quarter wave tube. The Vibrant only mitigates the high frequencies (some crackling, the high pitched turbine noise). The deep noise (at ~3200rpm) has a wave length of 10.5 *feet* so the vibrant is way too short. That's why I math-nerded it out and came up with the looped section. You can copy the exact same length I reference in my initial post, and show an exhaust shop the picture of how mine is looped, but it's only going to work if you have no rear muffler or a really tiny one (like the vibrant). I bought an MBRP to test, it's the drone-iest exhaust I have ever seen, and just the looped portion completely resolved the drone and quieted it down.

I just put a vibrant 1142 right where you did and im catless resonator deleted and it honestly killed alot of the drone and quieted down alot. Im happy with the results its now live-able.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I just put a vibrant 1142 right where you did and im catless resonator deleted and it honestly killed alot of the drone and quieted down alot. Im happy with the results its now live-able.
Right on. If that deep pressure feeling around 3200 gets to you, this thread is exactly to target that frequency, around 107hz.

For me, adding the vibrant just made the 107hz "crush" more obvious, but I am extremely sound sensitive. I even wear earplugs at the movies (you can still hear the movie fine, just less loud - and you can't hear people talk or babies crying!)

This is all very interesting. My Maperformance exhaust drones like crazy right at 3200rpm, despite all of the reviews saying otherwise. Maybe I'm just sensitive to sound as well?

I may just make the full switch to a different system. I can't even enjoy the exhaust sounds because of the boomyness at 3200rpm

This is all very interesting. My Maperformance exhaust drones like crazy right at 3200rpm, despite all of the reviews saying otherwise. Maybe I'm just sensitive to sound as well?

I may just make the full switch to a different system. I can't even enjoy the exhaust sounds because of the boomyness at 3200rpm
Thermal all the way. I love the way it looks and the way it sounds.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29

If you decide to keep it, you can use the same expansion tube design I used (quarter wave resonator) to totally kill that 3200rpm drone. That's literally what I built that rear loop for - just find an exhaust shop that can fit a loop in the rear muffler cavity (if the MAPerformance exhaust leaves enough room) of the appropriate size and you should be drone-free almost instantly. Just find the RPM drone range and target the middle of it, or target the rpm where the drone is the absolute worst, and work from there.