Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Info from Magna PT (Getrag) about our transmission

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
With some recent discussion on the Forum about the reliability of the FiST IB6 transmission I wanted to know where the actual "transmission" internals were made. I emailed Magna PT to ask for info from the company that bought out Getrag transmissions a few years ago. Magna PT is a very large company that supplies electronics, interior, trim pieces and many other automotive services including Getrag transmissions.

Our IB6 as it is called by Ford is simply an IB5 with a 6th gear added. The IB6 is a Getrag/Ford gear set in a cast aluminum housing to interface to the Fiesta ST engine and chassis. The actual gear set is used in different housing for many other cars worldwide. Ford has a joint venture in Germany with Magna PT for various projects other than the Getrag transmissions, the largest is an Electric car project for Ford. With transmission development costs being so high Ford also partnered with GM to reduce development costs for the 10 speed automatic used in Mustangs, F-150's and GM vehicles. Below is info from an email inquiry on our transmission based on my 2016 VIN. I had read it was made in China, Germany, South America and India. It is actually made in the UK and an internal part number for the gear set was provided. Looking at that number online sends you down a rabbit hole. The only thing I learned new was where it was actually made.

Your transmission is a GETRAG FORD Transmissions product designed in Germany, produced in UK (Halewood).

Part number is G1BR-7002-CD.

Gearset G5D

ratio 1st gear 3.727

ratio 2nd gear 2.048

ratio 3rd gear 1.357

ratio 4th gear 1.032

ratio 5th gear 0.821

ratio 6th gear 0.69

ratio Reverse gear 3.818

Final Drive 3.824

From email....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've always wonder why they did not just give us a .50 6th gear like the T56es/T6060s.

Could it be that our rides are not torque monsters way down low, like an LS1 V-8 (at least stock), and they were worried about everybody excessively lugging the engine in that gear, going high boost at very low revs, leading to severe LSPI events?? [dunno]

Fusion Works

There is a Volvo that used our transmission with a .622 gear. I can not find any info on parts for that trans. Volvo says there are no serviceable parts inside the transmission.

Sam4

sadly the volvo is in the million mile club, not attainable in its fiesta guise. its c.r.a.p. masked by a fun engine. All associated components need to be replaced after 50k miles - just check all the postings on here from rear motor mounts to rear shocks to vapor tube. I still love mine, but at 104,595 the band aids are waiting to order a Puma. Oops was that my HVAC flap control buzzing? Gotta go - Happy New Year!!

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
sadly the volvo is in the million mile club, not attainable in its fiesta guise. its c.r.a.p. masked by a fun engine. All associated components need to be replaced after 50k miles - just check all the postings on here from rear motor mounts to rear shocks to vapor tube. I still love mine, but at 104,595 the band aids are waiting to order a Puma. Oops was that my HVAC flap control buzzing? Gotta go - Happy New Year!!
One must expect any car with mods and driven hard very often to exhibit more issues. My '16 MP215 FiST with 65k has in general other than a blend door issue under warranty has been exemplary in reliability and economy. Every year we road trip driving the back roads, went to WV this year for a week of very spirited driving on many tiny country mountain roads, I live close to the Tail Of The Dragon and drive it often. It is our DD and still has no door dings or dents and only one very small paint chip. We have a '19 Coyote Mustang GT/CS for even more spirited driving. We will never part with either. The issues you are having mirror when I autoX'ed and TSD rallied rotary Mazda's in the early 70's. Ford warranted our cars for up to 215 Hp with otherwise stock components. Up the power and increase handling limits beyond and you increase wear and tear.

Fusion Works

They didn't sell that Volvo in the States. I would buy the trans if I could find one in a junk yard, but I don't speak Swedish, so not having a lot of luck ringing up some junkyards over there. HAHA