Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Inno wind fairing help

HBEcoBeaST

Apparently a wind fairing is beyond my install skills....

Tried installing my inno wind fairing and I can't get it snug against my roof. The feet for the left and right sides are about a 1/4-1/2" above the roof of my car. While driving above 40mph it's actually really loud and vibrates. I only installed the outer 2 clamps since I didn't get the fit I want which probably causes the vibration. I also didn't want to cut into my surfboard pad without proper fitment first.

How can I get it to be snug? Anyone else running one of these?

What am I doing wrong? I thought this would help with wind noise and I really like the look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
It looks like either:
1) Tighten the two clamps you currently have installed to place a lot of downward pressure, forcing the fairing to bow more.
2) Add a center clamp to push the center forward to force the fairing to bow more.

It looks like either:
1) Tighten the two clamps you currently have installed to place a lot of downward pressure, forcing the fairing to bow more.
2) Add a center clamp to push the center forward to force the fairing to bow more.
Can you also not angle the fairing downward more? It looks like the blade angle is adjustable, even more than you have it adjusted to.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #4
It looks like either:
I have them tightened all the way. There's 4 feet on the fairing and the center 2 are touching the roof while the outer feet are elevated. I'm going to remove the surf pads and try the 3rd center mount. It's a different style than the side mounts so hopefully it bends the fairing accordingly.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #5
Can you also not angle the fairing downward more? It looks like the blade angle is adjustable, even more than you have it adjusted to.
2 of the 4 feet are touching the roof. I can't angle it anymore unless I bend the fairing. I'm hoping adding the middle mount will help.

LaserWhisperer

I'm looking at these fairings on google, it looks like your third mount fastens to the blade at a higher location than the other mounts.
If this is the case, installing the third mount and then adjusting said mount so that it pushes the top of the blade further toward the front of the car should achieve the fitment that you're looking for :)

Good luck!

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #7
So after installing the center bracket the fairing fits well. Haven't tested it on the highway yet but it's solid. Will report back on noise reduction. The rola rack with the dakine aero pads is already pretty quiet.

Amazing how it only works when installed properly (sarcasm)

Bumpity bump.

How did this fairing work out in regards to wind noise once you made the adjustment? I have the same bar setup, and I'm thinking of purchasing the same fairing.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #9
Bumpity bump.

How did this fairing work out in regards to wind noise once you made the adjustment? I have the same bar setup, and I'm thinking of purchasing the same fairing.
I completely forgot about this thread. It does cut wind noise but not drastically. I find the rola racks are much quieter than most non aero racks already. The FiST doesn't exactly have a quiet interior to start with.

I have Dakine board pads now which added noise and my doors are dynamatted which I was afraid would create an imbalance. The rack does add a little road noise but it doesn't sound specifically like it's coming from a rack. No whistle or whooshing whatsoever.

In truth if you aren't absolutely in love with the look (like I am), save your money. While it does bring down noise I'd say only 10-25%. My mediocre sound system negates any difference the wind fairing made.

But I like having a place for stickers

I already have the racks, but I was experiencing whistling coming from the little rubber strip in the middle (the lip lifts just enough to act like a reed) so I figured the faring would cut that. However, I did just buy bike trays that I will be installing this week, so I'll wait to see if they cut the whistling noise any. Also, is that the 38" fairing?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #12
I already have the racks, but I was experiencing whistling coming from the little rubber strip in the middle (the lip lifts just enough to act like a reed) so I figured the faring would cut that. However, I did just buy bike trays that I will be installing this week, so I'll wait to see if they cut the whistling noise any. Also, is that the 38" fairing?
It's the small fairing.

Weird I get no whistling at all even without the fairing. I'm sure it would cure it. The turbulence caused by bike racks, board pads or any cargo up top pretty much negates anything the fairing is doing IMO.