Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake discussion

Stkid93

Premium Account
Looking at adding a cold air intake to my 2017 fist. From what I’ve read if I want to add a full system including the crossover pipe I need to buy a kit with the different evap harness. So I guess the main question is, is it worth it? Should I buy the whole kit with the different harness? Or should I just buy the end section with the filter that doesn’t require changing the harness? Will I still get good turbo sound if I don’t change the entire intake system? How involved is changing the harness and If I buy the correct kit and change the harness will that keep the check engine light from coming on?

let me know what you guys did

Dialcaliper

I found this test run by one of the popular tuners (Dizzy) to be informative:

https://dizzytuning.com/blogs/technical-documents/fiesta-st-stock-turbocharger-intake-testing.

The two main areas of improvement I see from that test are that crossover pipe appears to be the primary area of restriction, although he wasn’t able to do enough testing to determine if the same gains would be made changing just the crossover without changing the induction hose.

If you did want to change the induction hose with a minimum of fuss, Mountune offers a version that includes a Venturi that works with the 2016-2019 Evap system, and is a less expensive option than changing the Evap harness. (It can be had cheaper than below, especially if you want something besides the most popular black color)

https://www.mountuneusa.com/High-Flow-Induction-Hose-Fiesta-St-2016-p/2364-ih-ab.htm

The other area that seems to be proven (not really reflected in the above test) is that while the stock airbox and panel filter arrangement is actually not bad, getting more air to it is beneficial. Based on that I chose to go for the ST200 airbox. It was clearly enough of an improvement that Ford went through the trouble of making an OEM style molded plastic airbox for the ST200 model in Europe, and OEMs have way better testing capability than the aftermarket. If it didn’t make an improvement, they would not have justified the high cost ($100k+) of production injection mold tooling for it. The Mountune airbox is essentially identical (and the original inspiration Ford used, as it was sold as a Ford Performance upgrade with warranty at dealerships in the UK prior to the ST200)

Some of the full intake systems seem to give decent improvement, but it’s hard to really say if they’re worth the cost on a stock turbo. With an upgraded turbo? Who knows.

Last edited:

Business6

Looking at adding a cold air intake to my 2017 fist. From what I’ve read if I want to add a full system including the crossover pipe I need to buy a kit with the different evap harness. So I guess the main question is, is it worth it? Should I buy the whole kit with the different harness? Or should I just buy the end section with the filter that doesn’t require changing the harness? Will I still get good turbo sound if I don’t change the entire intake system? How involved is changing the harness and If I buy the correct kit and change the harness will that keep the check engine light from coming on?

let me know what you guys did
Crossover is a great addition but just clarify with yourself what you want to do. Literally any intake is going to be loud on this car, with some being louder than others, but there are caveats to all of them.

I run the ITG/Peron intake which, from my own datalogs against the stock airbox as well as a short ram intake during the peak of summer, is hands-down the best intake option.

played with some bandaid fixes that didnt work well for long so for me the older harness is really a must. I have a FSWerks Intake and love the sound, fit and looks

I'm loving my MAPerformance short ram intake. I've swapped over to an AEM dry filter and with the Mountune crossover I'm super happy with it all. It will heatsoak at a standstill noticeably quicker than the factory airbox but once you're moving it's great. It does sound ridiculously good if you want all kinds of intake / turbo drama. Running a modified 16+ EVAP harness which should be functionally the same as just using the earlier one

. 1FFDFB60-7098-4377-80F7-4E5BCBEACF42.jpeg

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
What problem are you trying to solve? Noise or power?

Noise - anything EXCEPT the mountune or ST200 air box + mountune 2016+ induction hose

Power - Drill holes in air box and put a high flow filter (stock turbo). Most aftermarket intakes are good, just a matter of preference. The real restriction is the stock airbox.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
i want more power and more noise. i would like to change the entire intake system but i dont know which unit to get. I dont know if they all come with the different harness or if you have to buy that separate and how involved changing the actual harness is.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #10
@NATYPE

what you do mean by "modified 2016 harness"? do you need to modify the harness if you dont go with the pre 2016 style?

@NATYPE

what you do mean by "modified 2016 harness"? do you need to modify the harness if you dont go with the pre 2016 style?
To put it simply, the 2015 harness has a single termintion going back into the intake where the 16+ has two. I just literally cut the section out of my EVAP harness before it breaks into those two lines and clamped in a piece of rubber tubing with the proper termination for the intake. Just works. I should've just remembered and bought the 15 harness though since I was already getting a new one. Just slipped my mind.

SrsBsns

I have a 2j intake on mine and it's probably the loudest intake that you can buy. It replaces the intake and the crossover. It connects directly to the turbo and the filter is housed under the passenger windshield cowl.

It makes the car sound like a space ship when getting on the freeway and is just a blast when I'm messing around in the twistys. But it's definitely not for everyone. Although it's honestly really not that bad when you're driving normally and have the radio on.

Dialcaliper

What problem are you trying to solve? Noise or power?

Noise - anything EXCEPT the mountune or ST200 air box + mountune 2016+ induction hose

Power - Drill holes in air box and put a high flow filter (stock turbo). Most aftermarket intakes are good, just a matter of preference. The real restriction is the stock airbox.
To get really specific, it’s really the snorkel into the Airbox that’s the restriction, the box internal/exit and panel filter are not major restrictions.

The way it seems is that no aftermarket intake is going to net more than ~5hp on the stock turbo, and possibly some extra torques.

What remains is to decide how much noise you want.

More Power+Less noise/ ST200/Mountune Airbox, Ramair/Whoosh/etc crossover. Induction hose is more optional bling.

More power + Really loud - JR Cowl intake

Barring that, AEM and Cobb have a bit of both, haven’t seen convincing numbers for most others. The Cobb does have the interesting ability to combine with the ST200/Mountune lower Airbox, but no proper dyno numbers are available.

Last edited: