Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake filter cleaning

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does anyone know or may have used this cleaner and know if its ok or works well? Thanks
Does it mention anywhere on the can that it's Turbo...Supercharger and catalytic converter safe? If NO...I wouldn't use it on my FiST.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Comor
Thread Starter #3
Does it mention anywhere on the can that it's Turbo...Supercharger and catalytic converter safe? If NO...I wouldn't use it on my FiST.

Hi mate thanks for the reply, it says on the can its safe to use on catalytic converters, it doesn’t mention turbo or supercharger tho

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I always used dish soap to clean my old K&N, let it dry, reoiled it. Personally I will not run an oiled filter any more. I have seen no proof in the last 20 years that shows they are any better than unoiled from a performance stand point. Oiled might be a benefit on a dusty track or dirt road.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi mate thanks for the reply, it says on the can its safe to use on catalytic converters, it doesn’t mention turbo or supercharger tho
Nope...Nope...nope. do not use that!

OP
Comor
Thread Starter #6
@Old Mike Emerson thanks for the reply mate, i seen a video on youtube of a guy using hot soapy water to clean the filter like u mentioned u have as well, i think i will just do the same and buy a proper ITG cleaner

@TyphoonFiST ok mate i wont use it 😂 thanks for the help, i will look for a proper approved cleaner instead cheers

SteveS

1000 Post Club
That is not filter cleaner. It's carburetor cleaner. It cleans the metal parts of carburetors. If you have the foam filter I saw in another thread, you would need two things: a cleaner that cleans the dirt and old oil out of the foam, then, after you get it completely dry, usually overnight at least, you use foam filter oil to oil it. You can use mineral spirits to clean the foam, then wash with dish detergent like Dawn or Simple Green and rinse with water. Then squeeze out (don't wring) and dry. Do not heat it to dry. Then oil with the filter oil, massaging it all through the foam to make sure you get an even distribution, and then squeeze out any excess oil. It is ready to install. Wearing latex or nitrile gloves is a must.

If you cannot find the filter oil at the auto parts store, go to a motorcycle dealer that sells dirt bikes. If you want to use a mineral based system as I described above, a good brand is Twin Air. They sell the cleaner solvent and oil, and you can even get it as a kit with a tub that has a snap-on lid for the washing and a smaller tub with lid for the oiling so you don't waste the oil. There is an easier system called No Toil that everything is in spray cans.

You have to clean and re-oil frequently. I'd say at minimum every 3 months.

The exception to the above would be if you have a filter that says not to oil it. I have seen some of those too. If you have one of those, just wash with soap and water, rinse, squeeze dry, and air dry.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does anyone know or may have used this cleaner and know if its ok or works well? Thanks
Are you attempting to clean an oiled, and washable FILTER, or are you using this to clean the throttle body/intake tract??

IF the former, and it IS foam as Steve S says above, follow his instructions.
Another good, safe brand for those cleaners and filter oils is PJ1 (not sure if they are available in Jolly Ol' Scotland or not).

I've just seen your other thread, and it is a foam ITG filter/intake,
ITG may even make their very own bespoke cleaning/oiling kit for that filter.

Last edited:
OP
Comor
Thread Starter #9
I
Are you attempting to clean an oiled, and washable FILTER, or are you using this to clean the throttle body/intake tract??

IF the former, and it IS foam as Steve S says above, follow his instructions.
Another good, safe brand for those cleaners and filter oils is PJ1 (not sure if they are available in Jolly Ol' Scotland or not).

I've just seen your other thread, and it is a foam ITG filter/intake,
ITG may even make their very own bespoke cleaning/oiling kit for that filter.
I was attempting to clean the filter mate , its a foam panel filter, i ended up just leaving it but came across another problem in the sense of my bonnet wont close now 😭