Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is FiST Junk?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
2016 bought new about 70k completely stock drivetrain except 215/45R17 tires*. That's it as far as drivetrain**. Blend door, passenger side engine mount. Never ran hot, let alone overheat but there was a campaign for an engine fan relay as the factory had a mix up and supposedly installed one with lower amperage. Had a water intrusion problem from new that I had to resolve myself because well, if you want it done right. Replaced my driver side blend door actuator with a Dorman brand. Holding up great so far. Had a weird electrical issue that was caused by faulty aftermarket LED lights dumping amperage off to ground. Plugged the sdubid SymPOSER. Since I'm not boosted with higher pressures there's no reason for me to spend time removing it. Transmission and clutch have been holding up fine so far. The only I thing I recommend is not holding the clutch pedal down (owner's manual warns against this) and swapping to Castrol's full synthetic trans fluid to minimize heat. As far as rust control, it's maintenance I'd be doing to any vehicle since loosing my last one to rust following 327k. I recently picked up a tip from here regarding Cerekote painting the exhaust.

* Spinnies are relatively minimal on Continental ExtremeContact DWS so far.
** haven't heard or noticed the clack on clutch release so could've been engine mount... though it sounded nothing like an engine mount in tone or echo-location

Last edited:
Usually after a single WOT pull after filling up I don't have any more stumbling issues. My car has only ever stalled once after filling up.
I'd say my experience is about the same. It never stumbles when driving, just idling. I don't think it's ever fully stalled on me after filling up, but it's come close lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd say my experience is about the same. It never stumbles when driving, just idling. I don't think it's ever fully stalled on me after filling up, but it's come close lol
Mine did that once or twice, too. I suspect that the gas pump didn't stop as soon as it should have. It hasn't had a problem, otherwise. I'm still on the original blend doors (knock wood).

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
116000 miles on my Fiesta, and I’ve had multiple purge valves fail and my at least one blend door go out. I’ve also had an electrical issue which could happen to any car. All the other issues have been my own fault and I’ve never had to be towed home (yet lol). Considering the way I drive I will be more than happy with the car’s reliability if the only thing I deal with is the blend doors and purge valves

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Overall, pretty good for 7 years, and 45k miles of ownership from new.

Still on the factory (more street oriented pads since it was ordered with the all season tires) brakes, but yeah, they've got to be replaced SOON.

Had one blend door actuator replaced under warranty at ~28K miles, but now have all three clacking at me (as well as the very rapid clicking from the tiny 'dash fan' thing behind the bezel near the steering column on the right but only when activating either the AC or defroster), so I will address them when I get to it.

My clutch pedal will stick to the floor, but only when it is very hot out, and I am stuck in stop and go traffic.
I need to flush the factory fluid out of that system like IMMEDIATELY to see if that improves the situation.
But I will vehemently second the suggestion by Intuit above about NOT holding the clutch pedal down while waiting at lights, or in stop and go traffic, at all, in order to try and 'save' our relatively weak clutch slave cylinders. [wink]

My only other problem seems to be one which only I have faced, maybe because I am one of the only owners of these cars who still uses CDs instead of all of the other sources of audio data everyone else depends on nowadays.

My CD will not eject from the player at times, randomly, and will display the "NO DISC" on the screen when hitting the eject button, even when I KNOW there is disc in the player.
The only thing which allows it to eject is a full negative battery cable disconnect, as a full 'system reset' does NOTHING to help this situation.
(I've never tried to just pull the system's relay/fuses at all yet.)

My car has very little rust anywhere (even under the unibody and on suspension components) and only some minor sub-paint rust bubbling on the door/hood/hatch seams, but then I do not have to drive it in the winter salt soup slop we get here and elsewhere in this land, daily, as many others must due to it being their only rides to work.
I also probably over-wax this car a bit (usually at least once a month when it is warm enough to rain, and not have the Collinite 845 freeze on contact).

But even though that might 'kill' that garage queen/show car gleam & glow so many seek, it most likely has helped protect the notoriously very thin clear coat basecoat paint as well, as I do NOT have the luxury of a garage, or even a carport. [:)]
NO leaks at all, but then I also ordered it on purpose, without a hole in the roof.

I love how small, nimble and 'tossable' this ride is, and despite it's (too many to some, even on here) flaws and problems, I cannot see myself in any other car, no, not even the much adored, coveted, and vaunted Corolla GR (and I do desire AWD, unlike many others) because of it's size and heft.
(Now, if Toy were merciful enough to allow U.S. to have their YARIS GR, that's a whole 'nother story. [wink] [driving])

Last edited:

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
I just bought a 2019 at 54,000 miles. So far it’s only been the paint(Florida Sun doesn’t help), and the transmission is super chattery. Outside the cabin, you can’t hear it, inside sounds like metal just falling all around the bell housing when in neutral coming to a stop or moving from a stop. I am told it’s natural with the dual clutch system in the Fiesta and had a dealership take a look as well. Doesn’t bother me and functions just fine.

Other than that, it makes me smile everytime I get in and sad when I get out.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Overall, pretty good for 7 years, and 45k miles of ownership from new.

Still on the factory (more street oriented pads since it was ordered with the all season tires) brakes, but yeah, they've got to be replaced SOON.

Had one blend door actuator replaced under warranty at ~28K miles, but now have all three clacking at me (as well as the very rapid clicking from the tiny 'dash fan' thing behind the bezel near the steering column on the right but only when activating either the AC or defroster), so I will address them when I get to it.

My clutch pedal will stick to the floor, but only when it is very hot out, and I am stuck in stop and go traffic.
I need to flush the factory fluid out of that system like IMMEDIATELY to see if that improves the situation.
But I will vehemently second the suggestion by Intuit above about NOT holding the clutch pedal down while waiting at lights, or in stop and go traffic, at all, in order to try and 'save' our relatively weak clutch slave cylinders. [wink]

My only other problem seems to be one which only I have faced, maybe because I am one of the only owners of these cars who still uses CDs instead of all of the other sources of audio data everyone else depends on nowadays.

My CD will not eject from the player at times, randomly, and will display the "NO DISC" on the screen when hitting the eject button, even when I KNOW there is disc in the player.
The only thing which allows it to eject is a full negative battery cable disconnect, as a full 'system reset' does NOTHING to help this situation.
(I've never tried to just pull the system's relay/fuses at all yet.)

My car has very little rust anywhere (even under the unibody and on suspension components) and only some minor sub-paint rust bubbling on the door/hood/hatch seams, but then I do not have to drive it in the winter salt soup slop we get here and elsewhere in this land, daily, as many others must due to it being their only rides to work.
I also probably over-wax this car a bit (usually at least once a month when it is warm enough to rain, and not have the Collinite 845 freeze on contact).

But even though that might 'kill' that garage queen/show car gleam & glow so many seek, it most likely has helped protect the notoriously very thin clear coat basecoat paint as well, as I do NOT have the luxury of a garage, or even a carport. [:)]
NO leaks at all, but then I also ordered it on purpose, without a hole in the roof.

I love how small, nimble and 'tossable' this ride is, and despite it's (too many to some, even on here) flaws and problems, I cannot see myself in any other car, no, not even the much adored, coveted, and vaunted Corolla GR (and I do desire AWD, unlike many others) because of it's size and heft.
(Now, if Toy were merciful enough to allow U.S. to have their YARIS GR, that's a whole 'nother story. [wink] [driving])
I strongly agree with your last paragraph! The GR Yaris is the only car I’ve found that I could see me liking more than the Fiesta ST. Unfortunately I’ll probably never get a chance to drive one. That being said, I definitely appreciate the simplicity of our FWD cars. AWD does introduce some new complications and definitely adds weight.

I just bought a 2019 at 54,000 miles. So far it’s only been the paint(Florida Sun doesn’t help), and the transmission is super chattery. Outside the cabin, you can’t hear it, inside sounds like metal just falling all around the bell housing when in neutral coming to a stop or moving from a stop. I am told it’s natural with the dual clutch system in the Fiesta and had a dealership take a look as well. Doesn’t bother me and functions just fine.

Other than that, it makes me smile everytime I get in and sad when I get out.
The Fiesta ST doesn't have a dual clutch. The Focus and Fiesta non-ST models had a dual clutch auto, but it was bad

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
@Williamson Maybe that’s what they were referring to. I couldn’t wrap my head around a dual clutch manual transmission. Thank you for clarifying.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
@Williamson Maybe that’s what they were referring to. I couldn’t wrap my head around a dual clutch manual transmission. Thank you for clarifying.
You were most likely mistaking owners talking about the factory's dual MASS flywheel (which can be noisy), thinking they were saying a dual clutch. [wink] [thumb]

Last edited: