Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is FiST Junk?

oaebcr

Help a guy out, why not?! I was committed to a Fiesta ST purchase and then research leads me to Ford and electric power steering issues and open deck engine block with corresponding head gasket issues. What are you Fiesta ST owner’s experiencing? Do the steering racks fail often, how about head gaskets? I see Mountune sells a super duper head gasket, is that a good fix? Is there a more bulletproof, aftermarket steering rack? In short, should I steer clear and get a Crown Vic instead? Looking toward rally cross fun.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
There are a few gremlins like the blend door actuator and evap harness. Aftermarket radiator solves cooling problems. I’ve had zero unscheduled service aside from the blend door and purge valve since I bought it new in 2017 and have 83k miles of which all have been tuned and 10k with big turbo.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Right at 80K miles now on my '16 and other than a blend door actuator and a Sync 3 version that would not update both replaced under warranty, my FiST and my daughters '18 FiST have been super reliable. Replaced my battery after 7 years service, died of old age....cool with that. After a trip to the desert I installed a Mountune radiator, never had any heat issues except in the summer AZ desert mountains. Kind of a waste of $$ as it turned out we took a different car this year for a 3 week trip out west, LOL! My car will not be sold, it goes to my grandson and my daughters will go to her daughter. That is if we ever want to get something else and nothing I want out there right now over my FiST. Never heard of any head gasket issues or power steering issues on the Forum and never had evap or clutch issues. Super reliable car, and with the MP-215 since new I am still in love with the car.

The paint is 90s dodge tier and rust protection is nil, which doesnt matter much if you rallycross. Transmissions are hit or miss, most whine. Havent seen much if anything on steering racks and head gaskets. Blend doors are weak as was said above. They're also pretty hard on brakes. Prior owner mods mdone wrong should be a concern. Delightful cars and lots of fun but you wont see many in 10 years.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Never heard of anyone having steering rack problems or head gasket problems. I think the block issue was with some other model. Probably the supposed steering problems were also.

Looked up Ford steering rack problems and found this:
Ford Vehicles Affected by the Steering Recall
  • 2008-2011 Ford Escape.
  • 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner.
  • 2011-2013 Ford Explorer.
It appears that the coolant problem was primarily with older Ecoboost engines, and ones used on different models of Fords than the Fiesta ST.

Zormecteon

80,000+ miles. .. I had the MP215 installed at around 6,000 miles.

Issues
Blend door(s)
Slave Cylinder.

It's as entertaining to drive as my C8 and gets nearly twice the fuel economy (around town). Can be driven as an economy car or a Hot Rod. Corners nearly as well as an MX-5. (on the street, no difference). Carries 4 people or a butt-ton of cargo. All cars have a few issues.

Sam4

There are a few gremlins like the blend door actuator and evap harness. Aftermarket radiator solves cooling problems. I’ve had zero unscheduled service aside from the blend door and purge valve since I bought it new in 2017 and have 83k miles of which all have been tuned and 10k with big turbo.
aaand, I got the fill up hiccup this week. I swear it hasn't been that long. Back to 3/4 tank maximum until I buy one (harness) for Christmas..

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Had the blend door actuator replaced twice and the door locks done under warranty. No other problems in 106,500 miles. Won't be selling, it's too much fun!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've never heard of a single steering rack issue, and a lot of these cars get driven hard. Can you post some reference material on what exactly you're reading?
I am starting to feel some type of 'on center stickiness' with 44K miles on the clock, but it may not be the actual rack itself. [dunno]
(When turning the wheel off of dead center in either direction by 3* or so, there is a definite, and audible click and 'grabby' feeling.)

Are these racks' programs 'reflash-able' by the dealer, or by someone with Forscan, or is there nothing externally which can be done, and the rack has to be replaced if there is ANY problem with it?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
2014 with over 160,000 miles. Bought it with 100k. Mostly ran it on E30, just switched back to 93 since it’s cold and wet and can’t make much use of the torque anyway. No major issues since owning.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Help a guy out, why not?! I was committed to a Fiesta ST purchase and then research leads me to Ford and electric power steering issues and open deck engine block with corresponding head gasket issues. What are you Fiesta ST owner’s experiencing? Do the steering racks fail often, how about head gaskets? I see Mountune sells a super duper head gasket, is that a good fix? Is there a more bulletproof, aftermarket steering rack? In short, should I steer clear and get a Crown Vic instead? Looking toward rally cross fun.
Haven't heard of any steering issues. There were some issues with early production FiSTs on the head, but it was fixed. Any '15 or later won't be a problem unless you tune it well over 300 hp. Then you'll want the mountune motor.
If you want fun, skip the Crown Vic and get a car that's fun for rally cross. These cars are reliable with just regular TLC.

Knock on wood, but it's pretty reliable. The only times it's been unreliable is when I've done something to it. But even then having gone S280 and stuff recently, it's been pretty good once I figured out where all my weak spots were (And said weak spots were my fault, not the car's). I'm not super nice to it, it gets driven in the snow all the time, I drive it like like I stole it pretty often, and it even hits the track. Never complains and keeps being reliable.

I have the same minor problem spots like everyone else (Blend door actuators, evap harness, stock radiator weakness [fixed today with a Koyorad, finally]) but not a dealbreaker, and barely something I notice. I'll replace the later evap harness with the earlier one eventually, but for now, I just keep the revs up after I fill on gas. Not hard to do, and it stops giving me trouble after an hour of driving or less generally.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Knock on wood, but it's pretty reliable. The only times it's been unreliable is when I've done something to it. But even then having gone S280 and stuff recently, it's been pretty good once I figured out where all my weak spots were (And said weak spots were my fault, not the car's). I'm not super nice to it, it gets driven in the snow all the time, I drive it like like I stole it pretty often, and it even hits the track. Never complains and keeps being reliable.

I have the same minor problem spots like everyone else (Blend door actuators, evap harness, stock radiator weakness [fixed today with a Koyorad, finally]) but not a dealbreaker, and barely something I notice. I'll replace the later evap harness with the earlier one eventually, but for now, I just keep the revs up after I fill on gas. Not hard to do, and it stops giving me trouble after an hour of driving or less generally.
Usually after a single WOT pull after filling up I don't have any more stumbling issues. My car has only ever stalled once after filling up.