Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it normal for our engine oil to have a gasoline scent?

Sprinkle Star, what does your daily commute look like and what region do you live?

Assuming a normal functioning car, gasoline will tend to build up in oil from normal blow by when commutes are short during winter because the oil hasn't warmed up high enough to evaporate/burn off moistur/fuel..

It sounds like since your stock tune, you don't have access to logs for fuel trims. If you don't have misfires while driving, no trouble codes, i wouldn't be too concerned. If you only have short commutes, I'd say you should try to get out once a week on a good 30+ minute steady state drive. It should burn off the normal amounts of moisture/fuel that accumulates assuming a correctly functioning PCV.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Did you get a CEL?

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk
no cel, but my evap was malfunctioning so badly that gas was getting into my oil and causing the level to increase between oilchanges, and resulted in burning oil once the oil level got too high.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
no cel, but my evap was malfunctioning so badly that gas was getting into my oil and causing the level to increase between oilchanges, and resulted in burning oil once the oil level got too high.
Were getting stumbling outside of just gassing up?

Edit: thanks for the input, btw [emoji106]

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #25
Sprinkle Star, what does your daily commute look like and what region do you live?

Assuming a normal functioning car, gasoline will tend to build up in oil from normal blow by when commutes are short during winter because the oil hasn't warmed up high enough to evaporate/burn off moistur/fuel..

It sounds like since your stock tune, you don't have access to logs for fuel trims. If you don't have misfires while driving, no trouble codes, i wouldn't be too concerned. If you only have short commutes, I'd say you should try to get out once a week on a good 30+ minute steady state drive. It should burn off the normal amounts of moisture/fuel that accumulates assuming a correctly functioning PCV.
I have a 45 minute drive each way to work, and I'm from northern Virginia, so yeah - cold winters.

BTW guys, I was finally able to accurately check my oil level, and all is good! I saw no white smoke coming from exhaust either. One of my co-workers is super hardcore into working on cars and I asked his opinion about whether or not the oil smelled like it had gasoline. He said it smelled normal, so perhaps I was over-thinking everything :0)

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #27
Did your ride have a large or small evap leak?