Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this the fluid most are using

Guys,

I see on Whoosh website he has 3 options. I have a 2019 only has 3K miles on it but thinking while I have access to a lift I would change the fluid just in case I only had 1.6 liter fill and not the 2 liter fill. It is cheap enough and figure it can't hurt and from reading on here those that changed their fluid said it shifted better? I don't have any shifting issues but I don't want any issues if Ford didn't put in the right amount so the one in yellow is that the way to go.

Attachments

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I just used the standard Motorcraft DCT Fluid. Same great shift quality that I had before with the peace of mind from changing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guys,

I see on Whoosh website he has 3 options. I have a 2019 only has 3K miles on it but thinking while I have access to a lift I would change the fluid just in case I only had 1.6 liter fill and not the 2 liter fill. It is cheap enough and figure it can't hurt and from reading on here those that changed their fluid said it shifted better? I don't have any shifting issues but I don't want any issues if Ford didn't put in the right amount so the one in yellow is that the way to go.
I tried the motul 300 and didn't like it. It felt particularly bad when temps drop.

I changed to the motorcraft dct fluid and got the same excellent shifting I experienced with the factory fill. If I change it again, I might try out the triax synth dct as it seems less expensive and meets the spec requirement.

DEss

Agreed...
But there is a baseline minimum that you don't want to be under.

For example, in most 'yota 5 speed manual transmissions that I have owned, if you ran too low, you would starve 5th gear, and eventually lose it. You wouldn't notice right away, until it started popping out of gear. In those gearboxes 5th is higher up in the gearbox.

For the FiST, I have no idea of what is where, but I will say that a more than a few people have experienced input shaft bearing failure with their FiST. And has been reported that the service tech told them that 2+ liters should be in there, that Ford directed them as such, when repairing/replacing the trans.

Meaning that, while it's not as crucial in a manual, it's still vital to have a minimum.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

Thanks to @FordST for bringing up this very important topic... the takeaway should be that 2L is definitely 100% close enough and is going to be FAR better than the barely 1.5L of garbage I drained out, just put 2L in of any GL4 synthetic gear oil, I personally prefer in this case to stick with Ford spec and the 2L of Ravenol has been a MASSIVE improvement... I'm not sure what it says for mileage to change this fluid but some online maintenance log does say 30k and I tend to see that as pretty accurate.

OP
vmaxbaby
Thread Starter #17
I got in 2 bottles of Ravenol so plan on changing the fluid next Friday if my crossover pipe is in by than. Have access to a garage with a lift so want to kill 2 birds so to speak :)

I have not been able to find a source from for that recommends changing the fluid level. No statements, no TSB, no nothing whenever I ask. It still says 1.7L in the latest models manuals (with recent revision dates), and Getrag still specs 1.7L themselves.

I haven't seen anyone experiencing issues with filling to 2L, but there's a chance if you do end up developing transmission issues they could decide to not warranty it because it was "overfilled". It's your call, it's certainly easier to fill with 2L, it may be pedantic, but as far as I've seen, it's not true that Ford put out a statement/tsb. I'll edit it if someone can show me otherwise.