Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

James Barone Racing Fiesta ST Catch Can

Not to sound like a noob, but what is the point of a check valve? Haven't heard of that before.

FistSt215

So let me get this straight . Why would a OCC void the factory warranty ? I thought catching the excess oil is a good thing .

So let me get this straight . Why would a OCC void the factory warranty ? I thought catching the excess oil is a good thing .
A catch can would not automatically void your warranty. Aftermarket modifications will only void your warranty to the extent that Ford can demonstrate that the modification caused whatever failure you had. Is it possible something could fail and a service tech could blame the catch can? Yes. At the same time, if your Sync system or something totally unrelated starts acting up, Ford can't deny warranty coverage just because you added a catch can.

TL;DR: No, a catch can does not void your warranty, but if you want to play it safe, remove the catch can before bringing the car in for service.

Not to sound like a noob, but what is the point of a check valve? Haven't heard of that before.
The check valve prevents the can from being pressurized. When you mash the throttle and your turbo spools up, your intake manifold (where the CC outlet plugs in) will become pressurized. That pressure will go in all directions it can, including back up the catch can outlet line. Thus, the check valve only lets air from that line go into the manifold and not out of the manifold back to the can.

If properly installed, the OCC is entirely legal and will not void any warranty. All you're doing is basically putting a catch can between the PCV and the intake manifold. In the OEM setup, there is simply a hose between the PCV and intake manifold. If the FiST was NOT direct injected, then the OEM hose (with the oily mist going straight into the intake) would not be an issue. But since it IS direct injected, there is no fuel mixture hitting the back side of the valves and preventing deposits.

After seeing the other 2 offerings and mulling over it a bit more, I pulled the trigger and went with this. I have a low profile ramp that I use so I can get the car high enough to use my floor jack. I'm hoping that it raises the car high enough so I can reach the drain valve without having to jack up the car.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
After seeing the other 2 offerings and mulling over it a bit more, I pulled the trigger and went with this. I have a low profile ramp that I use so I can get the car high enough to use my floor jack. I'm hoping that it raises the car high enough so I can reach the drain valve without having to jack up the car.
you can actually turn the passenger side wheel and access the hose /drain through an opening in the wheel well cover without having to raise the car....very easy!!

I haven't completed install yet since its currently 111F and my garage is really hot! May try and wake up very early tomorrow morn and finish the install...

you can actually turn the passenger side wheel and access the hose /drain through an opening in the wheel well cover without having to raise the car....very easy!!

I haven't completed install yet since its currently 111F and my garage is really hot! May try and wake up very early tomorrow morn and finish the install...
Thanks for addressing my concern! I think I bought the right one then. [thumb]

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thanks for addressing my concern! I think I bought the right one then. [thumb]
I wasn't quite sure about how easy it would be to reach the drain valve either but after my preliminary inspection and test fitment yesterday I saw that the drain valve is very easy to access...Its just too damn hot to finish up the install right now....

JBR OCC with hoses.jpg

I'll probably trim back the drain hose by a few inches...

Thanks for the pics BoostBumps!

Received mine today, first impression is the can is bigger than expected! Unfortunately, it was missing the check valve that I ordered with it :-(

Hopefully they'll get back to me soon enough so I can install it this weekend.

Thanks for the pics BoostBumps!

Received mine today, first impression is the can is bigger than expected! Unfortunately, it was missing the chec
k valve that I ordered with it :-(

Hopefully they'll get back to me soon enough so I can install it this weekend.
We received your email. Sorry about the missing check valve. It will go out today and you will have it in two days.

I will have a talk with shipping about this as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm going to go with this catch can when I do decide to purchase one. I do all of my own oil changes with the car on ramps so just moving my oil pan over and draining while under the car will save me some time. I like the design a lot!

We received your email. Sorry about the missing check valve. It will go out today and you will have it in two days.

I will have a talk with shipping about this as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Fantastic! Very much appreciate your assistance Jamie!

Had the time to install this over the weekend and promptly took it off. I have to "upgrade" some parts to make this thing work to my liking. Firstly, the drain hose that came with it, crimps like a mofo. I tried twisting it to see if the angle will relieve it but it stays crimped no matter what. I had a spare clear vinyl tubing (7/8 x 5/8) and connected that instead. Had to use metal worm clamps to attach it.

My concern is, since the drain hose is attached full time, it's the first place the oil is going to be stored in. I think the hose can handle it. Here is the hose I bought
from Amazon.

Second thing is, the instructions weren't very specific as to where the drain hose will hang. I'm afraid it will get caught in something or move and gets stuck to a hot engine component. Boostbump's pic helps a bit but that's a stationary pic. I'm sure it will move when the car is in motion. Any issues with this so far for you JBR buyers?

Will attempt to install it again this weekend as I saw the valve deposits photo thread and that concerns me more.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Had the time to install this over the weekend and promptly took it off. I have to "upgrade" some parts to make this thing work to my liking. Firstly, the drain hose that came with it, crimps like a mofo. I tried twisting it to see if the angle will relieve it but it stays crimped no matter what. I had a spare clear vinyl tubing (7/8 x 5/8) and connected that instead. Had to use metal worm clamps to attach it. My concern is, since the drain hose is attached full time, it's the first place the oil is going to be stored in. I think the hose can handle it.

Here is the hose I bought
from Amazon.

Second thing is, the instructions weren't very specific as to where the drain hose will hang. I'm afraid it will get caught in something or move and gets stuck to a hot engine component. Boostbump's pic helps a bit but that's a stationary pic. I'm sure it will move when the car is in motion. Any issues with this so far for you JBR buyers?

Will attempt to install it again this weekend as I saw the valve deposits photo thread and that concerns me more.
yes, I too replaced the drain hose that came with the kit with a more durable reinforced hose and opted to use worm clamps for the same reasons...

During initial install I also modified bracket #2 as seen in the pic below....The can with modified bracket now fits perfectly in that location and is far more stable...

JBR OCC bracket modified.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jerickson88 Fiesta ST Build Projects 0