Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JDG Build Thread (S280 Turbo, Full E85, Custom Parts & Rallycross Discussion)

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #101
Is mitch still doing tuning for you? He did my turbo install and tune. Considering S280 in next year or so and was thinking about reaching back out to him to see if he's still in the game.

Also nice to see your Blackstone reports are coming back nicely. Looks very similar to mine! i'll see if i can dig up
I finished my tuning with Mitch right before he left CP-E. I don't think he is doing anything on the side at this point. We didn't quite finish the 93 octane tune because I got busy and didn't get him revisions in time.

I may start back up with Dizzy this winter to re-tune for 93 octane since I want to go a bit more aggressive and I see he is producing damn good results for a lot of other members running 93 octane with the S280. Was also considering an E40 tune to get better fuel consumption with 330+ power numbers.

And yeah, I was surprised how clean the last report came back because that was mainly E85 fill-ups, a whole lot of 60-130 runs with tons of datalogging, as well as 3 RX events in pretty dusty environments.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #104
Small altercation with a deer last night.

Very fortunate to have been prepared with my knife, some tools, and gloves as it was very cold, very dark, and I was able to spend an hour cutting out the fender liner and mud flap brackets so I could drive it home.

The alignment is fine and no noticeable damage to the suspension so appears to be cosmetic only. Needs a new front bumper, passenger fender, headlight and horn. Just bummed that I’ll be without the car for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxiaze

Very fortunate to have been prepared with my knife, some tools, and gloves as it was very cold, very dark, and I was able to spend an hour cutting out the fender liner and mud flap brackets so I could drive it home.

The alignment is fine and no noticeable damage to the suspension so appears to be cosmetic only. Needs a new front bumper, passenger fender, headlight and horn. Just bummed that I’ll be without the car for awhile.

So sorry man... it’s always the damn deer. Insurance?

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #106
So sorry man... it’s always the damn deer. Insurance?
Yeah, going to call them here shortly. Should be pretty straight forward. Haven't made a claim in 5 years, and while I have had plenty of near misses with deer since living in PA, I hadn't hit any yet until last night :(

Just happy I was able to keep the damage to a minimum and I wasn't hurt.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Yeah, going to call them here shortly. Should be pretty straight forward. Haven't made a claim in 5 years, and while I have had plenty of near misses with deer since living in PA, I hadn't hit any yet until last night :(

Just happy I was able to keep the damage to a minimum and I wasn't hurt.
You got off REALLY lucky with the front 1/4 hit. I've tagged 4 deer in my driving - worst one was right through the front of my Tundra and took out the rad - in the middle of fuckin' nowhere.

Based on experience, you probably didn't even see it until it hit you - correct? Those damn deer just come flying out of the shadows and are impossible to avoid.

Good luck with the fix! You obviously enjoy the car and need to be driving it!!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
DAMN, man, not you too!! [:(] [bawling]

I am guessing that the Odocoileus blitzed you with one of those very quick, right out of the deep brush/woods side sneak attacks they are so infamous for, since you would have seen it in the road up ahead with all of that candlepower on the front of the little rocket?

Herds of these things roam through my backyard many times a day, so I am really paranoid of driving at night around here.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #109

$4,100 in damage is the initial estimate, car will be at body shop for a couple weeks but will hopefully have it back for Rallycross season.

The question now is should I get a paint correction/PPF up front before my first event since I will have a fresh bumper.

The old bumper was littered with rock chips..

Another event with the car is that I noticed a misfire at idle last week and was pretty worried about the head gasket since I also noticed some milky oil in the valve cover when I removed the cap.

The car was sitting for a combined month in the weeks before and after the deer strike. I decided to change the spark plugs (Brisk Racing 2 step colder) which have 9k miles on them.

The first plug I pulled (cylinder 1) had a lose porcelain that was touching the grounding strap and was likely bouncing around. The electrodes were also heavily worn so the gap was pretty big in all cylinders.

Needless to say I wont be buying the brisk plugs again.

Misfire is gone and car drives great (even with the body damage). I beat on the car for 15 minutes and oil and coolant look great. Seems like the milky-ness was just condensation from the changing temps and the car sitting so long.

Interesting learning through the process with the misfire is that the CEL is counting the rate of misfires. If the misfire counter stays under 500/minute or so it won’t throw a CEL. Of course, I never monitor misfires on the AP so I had no idea what was a normal amount (since even a stock ecoboost engine will misfire some at idle). Turns out 10-20 is normal per minute but not 300-400 which is what I was seeing (just under the threshold for the CEL code to come up).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
SO glad you caught that bad plug (and the rest as well) BEFORE that porcelain got fully disconnected, and wrecked havoc in your combustion chamber/piston top (and then, HEAVEN FORBID, your turbine blades)! [thumb]

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #111
Stopped by the body shop after hours (car is done, couldn't step out to go grab it though). Will need to go pick it up in the morning.

Naturally their gate was open and the car was unlocked :rolleyes:

Curious what you guys think of the work. Overall, I am happy, but I feel like the blend could be better. I think the older paint needs a correction to remove some of the embedded dirt giving it the beige-ish hue.

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My eyes are old, and not great, but that looks pretty good to me.

Yeah, I would do a paint correction before passing judgement about a total mismatch on the color.

Also, especially on a white car, how much does even the best clear PPF effect the 'hue' of the paint it is applied over?

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #113

Yeah, I would do a paint correction before passing judgement about a total mismatch on the color.

Also, especially on a white car, how much does even the best clear PPF effect the 'hue' of the paint it is applied over?
No PPF here, I am getting quotes though but from what I hear on the cost, I don't think it's worth it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

ya your eyes must be going :LOL:I noticed the difference in the first pic the bumper was just a touch Whiter than then fender and hood. I have an eye for detail though. Its quite possible paint correction would bring them closer together as the hood paint has that kind of faded hue to it .

As far as clear Bra goes that stuff isn’t cheap here either . I am looking at around $850-1k for like a bumper partial hood partial fender job. Full hood and edge of roof and a pillar will cost around 1300-1600

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #115
ya your eyes must be going :LOL:I noticed the difference in the first pic the bumper was just a touch Whiter than then fender and hood. I have an eye for detail though. Its quite possible paint correction would bring them closer together as the hood paint has that kind of faded hue to it .

As far as clear Bra goes that stuff isn’t cheap here either . I am looking at around $850-1k for like a bumper partial hood partial fender job. Full hood and edge of roof and a pillar will cost around 1300-1600
The bumper is definitely different, but that seems to be a common issue with the fiesta even on OEM paint. It’s plastic versus everything else being steel so it is common for a slight difference. But what about the new passenger fender, do you think it matches the hood and passenger door?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The bumper is definitely different, but that seems to be a common issue with the fiesta even on OEM paint. It’s plastic versus everything else being steel so it is common for a slight difference. But what about the new passenger fender, do you think it matches the hood and passenger door?

I can spot the fender I just looked at the side rain shot . Its like the fender blends better to the main part of the door than it does to the hood totally stands out against your exposed rocker panel too . Its kinda interesting mid door upper is the closest to blend but the other spots just scream repaint to me. I will say though I am good at this I can look at peoples cars and go your cars been fixed and they are like what? I start point little things out. That most people would absolutely miss. I am a less than perfect body painters nightmare. I will catch them on their shit. I have gone through this with body shops as most only do ok work or only super great work when they are getting paid the big bucks. Insure jobs are usually bad because insurance is paying and always trying to keep the cost down. Body shops like Insurance work though. As it keeps them busy and they can quick and dirty jobs without comeback as most people are just happy to be not paying out of pocked for most if not all the repairs.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^True, as when the local Ford dealer affiliated/same owner body shop did my roof bubbling around the antenna repaint warranty work, there were some dirt or dust particle circles/'fisheyes' in the paint.

When they agreed and did the repaint yet again, there were even a few more, but I just accepted it, as I was tired of not driving the car, and they 'won' by wearing me down.

But I DID loudly voice my displeasure, and guaranteed them that I would never give them any more business, warranty or otherwise, and would NOT recommend them to anyone, ever.

I even angrily asked the shop manager if they painted the roof out in the open shop because it was a 'low profit' job, resulting in the dirt/fisheye problems. [mad]