Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's new beater project

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #61
Thought I'd update the Prelude thread as I've done a few things to him recently:

- CEL p401 appeared so I removed the EGR valve, cleaned it out (was super clogged), CEL didn't return. $2 fix (gasket), very happy.
- Installed a rear window wing which is subtle but looks great IMHO.
- Getting more brave redlining this thing daily...that's why it's fun...with 215k it's dicey but the car has been so well maintained I think it will be fine, it runs like a top. After all redlines aren't the danger zone, they're only where you should stop before entering the danger zone. He tells himself.

A few pics...not the best but you'll get the idea:

Also I clay bar/polished it recently and did a few new videos on the car on my YT channel, there are several but I'll only post the EGR one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1s5wvUX_Z4&t=142s

Jeff just read through this thread. Car looks great! My sister had the same year car different color and I always enjoyed driving it. I needed an exhaust for a 91 NA Miata that I had, previous owner had an obnoxiously loud and horrible sounding exhaust. I purchased a Yonaka exhaust and was just what I wanted. Deeper tone but subdued. Quality was top notch. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Friend brought by a Porsche 928 the other day, great shape and about 30,000 miles... an iconic car and for what seems like not too long ago. Today it would be the worst handling worst performing failure, and it was a reminder that I’m getting old. I sill remember the 944 4 Cyl Turbo versus 928 V8 debates and articles when they were new. So, I’ll get to the point, the Prelude doesn’t look old to me at all, I remember when they came out with the previous models even and they were sleek modern cars, still are in my eyes. Driving one may be a reality check just like the 928 a few weeks ago.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #64
Jeff just read through this thread. Car looks great! My sister had the same year car different color and I always enjoyed driving it. I needed an exhaust for a 91 NA Miata that I had, previous owner had an obnoxiously loud and horrible sounding exhaust. I purchased a Yonaka exhaust and was just what I wanted. Deeper tone but subdued. Quality was top notch. Thanks for sharing your journey.
Thanks!

Yeah Yonaka makes great stuff. I did a review in exchange for 1/2 price. Good people. Ended up just using the back half (axelback) and put the midpipe in the attic, just too loud. The AB alone is just the right volume - good quality, nice deep tone without the rice sound.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I found the thread!!

Holy shiz this is like the cleanest black Type SH I've ever seen, in my life.

If you are restoring it to as close to stock as possible for a true SH just look out for these things (maybe I wasn't paying much attention while I was drooling over the photos)

-There should be no third brake light inside the car, it should only be in the rear wing
-The side skirts should be body colored, not just plastic.
-Maintain that ATTS unit, the worst thing in the world is when it cuts out mid corner and puts the car into limp mode. Ask me how I know.

See if you can find an OE optional lip kit for sale used, you'll probably have to paint it, but I feel like it really sets the look of the SH above the base. I've had 4 of these, if you haven't dug through all the old forums and want to know something I can probably help. Or if you need help finding odd parts lol.

My only suggestion is to ditch that lightweight crank pulley, there are various opinions on it, but the majority say that it will eat through the main bearings and cause failure. But eh, send it. I was thinking about getting another one for a daily beater, just all the ones around here are in terrible condition.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #66
I found the thread!!

Holy shiz this is like the cleanest black Type SH I've ever seen, in my life.

If you are restoring it to as close to stock as possible for a true SH just look out for these things (maybe I wasn't paying much attention while I was drooling over the photos)

-There should be no third brake light inside the car, it should only be in the rear wing
-The side skirts should be body colored, not just plastic.
-Maintain that ATTS unit, the worst thing in the world is when it cuts out mid corner and puts the car into limp mode. Ask me how I know.

See if you can find an OE optional lip kit for sale used, you'll probably have to paint it, but I feel like it really sets the look of the SH above the base. I've had 4 of these, if you haven't dug through all the old forums and want to know something I can probably help. Or if you need help finding odd parts lol.

My only suggestion is to ditch that lightweight crank pulley, there are various opinions on it, but the majority say that it will eat through the main bearings and cause failure. But eh, send it. I was thinking about getting another one for a daily beater, just all the ones around here are in terrible condition.
Wow thanks man.

Yeah I'm stockish but have a few add-ons. Thought about a lip kit and I've researched them a good bit but it just ricerizes it a bit much imho. If you have a link or can post a pic to the one you're talking about maybe my mind will change.

Yes it's definitely a true SH the first thing I did was check for the transmission and lines. Yeah I changed out the ATTS fluid first thing also, truth is I rarely go fast enough to ever engage the ATTS but the sticker looks nice on the back of my car.

As for the pulley, I've done plenty of these in the past and I feel good about it. I realize it's a risk but the ones I've used are made by intelligent people with years of proven reliability.

So you had 4? Geez. Give me your likes, favorite mods, dislikes, any info or a good review, ideas, etc. I'm starved for someone to talk about this car with because nobody really has them. There are a few for sale but they are getting rare. Shoot me your # via PM if you have time to chat on the phone so I can pick your brain about Preludes.

Thanks.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow thanks man.

Yeah I'm stockish but have a few add-ons. Thought about a lip kit and I've researched them a good bit but it just ricerizes it a bit much imho. If you have a link or can post a pic to the one you're talking about maybe my mind will change.

Yes it's definitely a true SH the first thing I did was check for the transmission and lines. Yeah I changed out the ATTS fluid first thing also, truth is I rarely go fast enough to ever engage the ATTS but the sticker looks nice on the back of my car.

As for the pulley, I've done plenty of these in the past and I feel good about it. I realize it's a risk but the ones I've used are made by intelligent people with years of proven reliability.

So you had 4? Geez. Give me your likes, favorite mods, dislikes, any info or a good review, ideas, etc. I'm starved for someone to talk about this car with because nobody really has them. There are a few for sale but they are getting rare. Shoot me your # via PM if you have time to chat on the phone so I can pick your brain about Preludes.

Thanks.
I'll find a good photo of the kit, even just the front lip is a really nice look, or the JDM front lip.

You'd be surprised at the amount of SHs that get converted to non-ATTS just because of the fact that the system is near impossible to maintain these days. No spares, no diagnosing except at the dealer.

The pulley is probably moot, if you aren't beating the living shit out of it all the time. I say its fine, but I also deleted the balancer shafts in mine lol.

So I've had 4, one 4th gen, and 3 5th gens. There were things I really liked about each of them so I'll give you some highlights, though the 4th gen doesn't really apply to you lol.

1993 Prelude Si VTEC: I loved the interior, people give it shit but it felt so futuristic and looked awesome. I honestly hated the rest of the car, it was painted poorly, the suspension was trash, and the block had a crack that would spew coolant under WOT.

1997 Base: This car came with the JDM red interior, and was the sole reason I bought it. I preferred the 5th gen looks were much nicer too. This car was wrecked and repaired poorly, I tried to fix it but ended up selling it

2001 SH: The only SH I owned, it had belonged to a friend and I bought it off him. Rebuilt title, but it was in great shape. Lots of rare JDM or discontinued goodies, this car handled so well except for when the ATTS would cut out. The suspension on the SH is totally different, it has different caster and camber geometry and truly makes the Prelude handle much better than the base counterpart. I eventually swapped in an F20B and LSD transmission after I was tired of trying to get the ATTS unit to function properly. Also you lose ATTS entirely if you ever tune the car with a chipped ECU, so out it came. This car also got another engine swap in the guise of an H23A. This was my favorite Prelude, it was pretty, quick, and everything worked. I backed it up into a truck one groggy morning and totalled it (it probably could have been fixed, but getting a new shell was cheaper)

1998 Base: everything from the 01 went into this car, it was a shell that was given to me by a friend. It was a total shitbox, the opposite of the SH. It leaked, it had suspension issues, the paint was shit again. But it was for some reason way faster than the SH, even though it was literally the same exact drivetrain in the car.

If your goals are to keep it a beater car and not go nuts, I'd leave it as stock as possible. Lowering an SH screws with the ATTS, you can't tune it, and without a tune there is little gained from bolt ons. A JDM flushmount wing, and JDM front lip would make it look like a Type S. Get yourself a red valve cover and the OEM Type S Dynamic Chamber Intake and it'll be 90% a Type S (the only difference would be the cams / red interior). The Yonaka exhaust is actually a really nice piece.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
I'll find a good photo of the kit, even just the front lip is a really nice look, or the JDM front lip.

You'd be surprised at the amount of SHs that get converted to non-ATTS just because of the fact that the system is near impossible to maintain these days. No spares, no diagnosing except at the dealer.

The pulley is probably moot, if you aren't beating the living shit out of it all the time. I say its fine, but I also deleted the balancer shafts in mine lol.

So I've had 4, one 4th gen, and 3 5th gens. There were things I really liked about each of them so I'll give you some highlights, though the 4th gen doesn't really apply to you lol.

1993 Prelude Si VTEC: I loved the interior, people give it shit but it felt so futuristic and looked awesome. I honestly hated the rest of the car, it was painted poorly, the suspension was trash, and the block had a crack that would spew coolant under WOT.

1997 Base: This car came with the JDM red interior, and was the sole reason I bought it. I preferred the 5th gen looks were much nicer too. This car was wrecked and repaired poorly, I tried to fix it but ended up selling it

2001 SH: The only SH I owned, it had belonged to a friend and I bought it off him. Rebuilt title, but it was in great shape. Lots of rare JDM or discontinued goodies, this car handled so well except for when the ATTS would cut out. The suspension on the SH is totally different, it has different caster and camber geometry and truly makes the Prelude handle much better than the base counterpart. I eventually swapped in an F20B and LSD transmission after I was tired of trying to get the ATTS unit to function properly. Also you lose ATTS entirely if you ever tune the car with a chipped ECU, so out it came. This car also got another engine swap in the guise of an H23A. This was my favorite Prelude, it was pretty, quick, and everything worked. I backed it up into a truck one groggy morning and totalled it (it probably could have been fixed, but getting a new shell was cheaper)

1998 Base: everything from the 01 went into this car, it was a shell that was given to me by a friend. It was a total shitbox, the opposite of the SH. It leaked, it had suspension issues, the paint was shit again. But it was for some reason way faster than the SH, even though it was literally the same exact drivetrain in the car.

If your goals are to keep it a beater car and not go nuts, I'd leave it as stock as possible. Lowering an SH screws with the ATTS, you can't tune it, and without a tune there is little gained from bolt ons. A JDM flushmount wing, and JDM front lip would make it look like a Type S. Get yourself a red valve cover and the OEM Type S Dynamic Chamber Intake and it'll be 90% a Type S (the only difference would be the cams / red interior). The Yonaka exhaust is actually a really nice piece.
Wow man thanks. Got your PM btw, I'll be in touch. Nice to have someone who knows/loves these cars.

I appreciate the talk on the 4 cars...you had 4 Preludes...still trying to digest that.

Yeah so the ATTS system....I've read the same...mine is fine and unless it breaks AND causes problems I'm leaving it alone. I read up on it a bit back when I bought the car, something about a noise when it fails. Hopefully that won't happen.

I looked into swapping in an OBD1 so the car can be tuned...that and an intake + throttlebody would run me around $1000 and get another ~20hp and lowered VTEC engagement and there's a tuner a few hours away from me who can do it. But in the end for a car with 215k miles it's just not worth it, plus the FiST is my 'fast' car...20hp for the Prelude isn't gonna do much. Plus wear and tear would increase with more HP...plus no ATTS...plus no engine immobilizer...plus a bunch of other things. I say that to say I'm leaving it about stock, just a few practical/cosmetic upgrades is all I've done/plan to do. I enjoyed noticeable gains in the past on my Honda/Acura TSX with a pulley, that's why I went that route.

Thanks again...I'll holler at you soon.