Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Just sharing my suspension decision process

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My struts blew at around 2,500 miles and I've been debating whether to let the dealer replace them under warranty or pull the trigger on a real setup. I leased my FiST and swore i wouldn't put any major mods into her but who am i kidding. The thing is a party in a box and the time has come make her dance like she's never danced before!

My first choice was the Bilstein B14. Great rep. I ran them on my former VW MKiv R32 and adored them. I paid about $1,300 for the VW and it's like half that for the FiST. I was convinced that if i do coils, B14 FTW.

But then the idea of not modding a lease began to eat at me. So...Koni Orange with H&R springs was about $200 less and would still perform way better than OEM. I was prepared to compromise my first choice for the more responsible one.

But THENNN I posted in a thread about the BC Racing setup I put on the wife's Mazda. As I'm typing I'm convincing myself of what a good setup it is. While it was troublesome at first, in due time all issues were resolved and it's been great for 20k+ miles. Another real boon is that they sell the shock cartridges separately. It's a VERY reasonable $95 per for the Mazda and I would imagine they'd be even cheaper for the FiST! I'm actually ordering the fronts for the Mazda very soon and will find out exactly what parts cost for our car. And I'll maybe even get new camber plates for the Mazda as well. So figure about $300 to refresh the front end for another 20-30k miles. I like the idea of coils i can quickly rebuild with readily available parts.

My dilemma is the cost of entry. Now I'm up from 567 for the Koni setup to $950 for BC. Here i am trying NOT to go spendy modding my lease and I'm headed in the wrong direction! But i have rationalized it in a most excellent way. When the time comes to repair either setup, the running costs are better for BC. I can't source individual Koni dampers so it looks like I'd have to buy a whole other set where i can buy individual parts for BC.

It's a lease so i shouldn't care about running costs as the Koni's will likely last the length of a 3yr lease. But this car has touched a special place deep in my libido that no other car ever has. The only reasons I wouldn't keep her forever have to do with reliability (leaky axles, possible cylinder head issue, and who know what else)

So i say to you fellow FiSTing addicts, do i commit to long term plan with BC or treat her like a one night stand with Koni?

And lest we forget Pierce Motorsports and all of their tasty chassis bracing! For the price of the BCs i can do Konis with a PM lower tie bar and strut tower brace..decisions, decisions. I'm falling into a mod spiral. I can feel it [crazyeye].

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
All in? Here is my advice. Get the items fixed under warranty. Then get either setup. If you ever want to return the lease you have the new parts and it cost you nothing. I would also got with the same parts your other car has for spare parts.

Get the dampers replaced under warranty. That shouldn't even be a question. Then, if you want to go aftermarket, you still have a set of good OEM dampers to fall back on come lease turn-in time.

As for the BC vs. Koni w/lowering springs, The best advice is going to be Neither. You were on a good track with the Bilstein B14's, don't lower the bar any more than that. This talk about cheaply replacing cheap parts with more cheap parts and replacing them often sounds absurd. The bottom barrel consideration should be the Bilstein's. Any cheaper and IMO you're actually looking for an excuse to do the wrong thing.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
Thx for the feedback! You guys make a great point about the warranty work but I'm not letting those fools touch my car...yet. I will keep the blown oem parts in a corner. If I do decide to turn in the lease, blown parts go back on and the warranty work gets done then. At that point I won't give a shit if the they screw it up [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]. the BC parts won't be interchangeable. Maaaaybe the lock rings. [MENTION=4567]Ryephile[/MENTION]. Bilstein is my go to suspension Co. And they aren't THAT much more than a Konis setup. You def gave me something to sleep on.
Depending on delivery times, I may wait until I refresh the BC on the mazda and see how it drives before deciding. Everything eventually breaks down. I hate the idea of throwing a car on stands while coils are shipped out for refresh. And Bilstein support is a PITA from what I've read.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Koni Oranges will be a waste of time/money if you believe they will improve performance. They greatly improve ride comfort, but at performance sacrifice.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

Waterfan

For your awareness and big caveat that I have not personally tested this, but the standard Fiesta B14 Bilsteins are reported to fit the FiST perfectly and are what I consider dirt cheap via Amazon (~$800).

This is my top choice if I pull the trigger on my first handling mod (or maybe chassis bracing first, I can't decide!!!). Apparently, the maximum height setting of these is approximately equal to the stock FiST ride height. Which is great for me since I love the practicality of decent clearance in my DD, and don't HATE the look of the stock wheel gap.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Koni Oranges will be a waste of time/money if you believe they will improve performance. They greatly improve ride comfort, but at performance sacrifice.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener
A fellow FiSTer saw this post and PMd me. He was local & selling a damn near brand new Koni/Eibach combo he was pulling off his car. Timing and price couldn't have been better. Of course I snatched it up without hesitation. I just couldn't bring myself to let the dealer touch my car. And then to only put the same garbage suspension back on. naaaah. To your point, I saw your thread and full review of the Koni's and remember thinking that sways and bracing would close some of that performance gap and retain the comfort i'm looking for. To that end, Pierce 2pt and torsion bar arriving Monday. Cobb sways and RMM arriving Tuesday. I'll let you guys know. This is my DD and i've been through enough stiff cars set up to rail corners to know i'm over it lol

For your awareness and big caveat that I have not personally tested this, but the standard Fiesta B14 Bilsteins are reported to fit the FiST perfectly and are what I consider dirt cheap via Amazon (~$800).

This is my top choice if I pull the trigger on my first handling mod (or maybe chassis bracing first, I can't decide!!!). Apparently, the maximum height setting of these is approximately equal to the stock FiST ride height. Which is great for me since I love the practicality of decent clearance in my DD, and don't HATE the look of the stock wheel gap.
In your case, sitting totally stock, if you have the budget to reach for coils i'd go there first. But if you don't feel like waiting to save up, from what guys are saying, the bracing is a great bang for buck and noticeable handling upgrade...just not on the level of a full suspension upgrade. I'm fortunate enough to have bought a good used setup, leaving me budget to get bracing and sways for what i was going to spend on coils. And if ur wondering how i know it's a good used setup (aside from him being a nice guy) , he put a thread up a few weeks ago about how he didn't like the setup for various reasons similar to Hijinx's. I actually posted in it and then ended up buying the setup a weeks later lol

also, modbargains.com has the correct Bilstein fitment for under $800.

We're discussing the sway vs bracing dilemma here:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8608-Sway-bars-or-bracing

Waterfan

In your case, sitting totally stock, if you have the budget to reach for coils i'd go there first. But if you don't feel like waiting to save up, from what guys are saying, the bracing is a great bang for buck and noticeable handling upgrade...just not on the level of a full suspension upgrade. I'm fortunate enough to have bought a good used setup, leaving me budget to get bracing and sways for what i was going to spend on coils. And if ur wondering how i know it's a good used setup (aside from him being a nice guy) , he put a thread up a few weeks ago about how he didn't like the setup for various reasons similar to Hijinx's. I actually posted in it and then ended up buying the setup a weeks later lol

also, modbargains.com has the correct Bilstein fitment for under $800.

We're discussing the sway vs bracing dilemma here:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8608-Sway-bars-or-bracing
Thanks, FYI, the P/N at modbargains (at a great price) is exactly the same as the Amazon I linked: 47-167490.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks. I could've sworn modbargians had the right ones. I remember you posting the info a month or so ago. I even saved the thread. Hmm.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8316
Expand the compatibility list.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/47-167490

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/47-242043/409261/FWD

Like I said they will work but if you want the ones for the ST it the 47-242043

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Is there any difference between the Fiesta and Fiesta ST kit? My guess is that the ST kit comes with a different spring rate.