Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Laguna Seca in the Rain

Hey Everyone

I wanted to share some photos of my last track day. I went to this event with another Forum member and we had a total blast. This was my time tracking in the rain and oh boy was it an experience. This was my first ever time ever spinning out my Fiesta; going into Turn 10 my inside wheel caught one of the striped rumble strips (which is a big no no in the rain, they're extremely slippery) and spun me off the track. The spinout threw off my alignment and loosened the bolts that hold the knuckle to the shock. After that session I had to jack the car up, remove the wheel, and retighten those two bolts (always take your tools to the track).

The Fiesta is unpredictable in the rain, at a moments notice when you think you have grip, all it takes is one extra degree of steering input to get the rear end to kick out and it sends you off your line. With that said, I definitely didn't appreciate the ESC until that day; when placed into Sport mode, all you had to do is chuck the car into a corner, and even if you're going in a little too hot, you feel the torque vectoring and stability management kick in to straighten the car out, it was awesome. If I had my car placed into sport mode, I am sure the car would have saved me from spinning out. I had Stability control turned all the way off for my first session.

In the end, the car preformed beautifully, and even with my cautious tracking (there were a few accidents that happened), I was able to keep up with some of the faster cars out on track. I would recommend everyone to track their car in the rain, it really gives you insight on how the car preforms at its limits of traction.

If you guys have any questions about the day or my setup please ask.

I'd like to thank [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] for fixing my surging issue, I experienced Zero surging on this track day.
I also had no overheating problems this time around, even though it was raining, windy, and about 50 degrees ambient, going WOT for about 20 minutes at a time my Oil temps never went above 220 and my coolant over 210. That is with a pure Water and Water Wetter mix and the Mishimoto Oil Cooler.

[video=youtube;-Wa8QhJjn3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wa8QhJjn3A&feature=youtu.be[/video]
[video=youtube;iLv81la2_OQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLv81la2_OQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

haste

1000 Post Club
Very cool. Laguna Seca is an amazing track and I hope to drive on it someday. I bet it was a great experience in the rain. I've tracked at VIR and have done a few autocrosses and have always wanted to try it in the rain but have never had the chance.

Open tracking in the rain takes balls, and self-control. I have a great friend who absolutely loves driving hard in the rain because it helps him learn car control so much better. With the right tires, it's amazing how fast a good driver can go, even in pouring rain.

I'm looking forward to my next track day. Kudos to you for hitting Laguna in the rain.

Siestarider

This is one reason I stayed on BFG Sport Comp 2's all year. Here in sunny Florida, chances of rain on a track day are probably 50%.

Having tires that can actually perform in the rain is most helpful, even though they are not particularly good in dry vs other tires. In one session at PBIR, when the racing line flooded, my Fist was the only car left on track at the checker. I love driving fast in the rain, growing up here had lots of opportunities to learn.

I find the Fist uncommonly quick in rain, have tried all the nanny combos and now prefer all off.

But I have yet to run it on really quick dry tires, we will see in 2016. I am thinking Rival S next, seems best dry/wet combo I can find.

Siestarider

Some cars look like visitors to the zoo on track. Our car looks to be in its natural habitat. Great pics Josier and Leonard.

That photographer is LEGIT. great pics [MENTION=1536]LeonardSkeonard[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1146]Joszer[/MENTION]

Look forward to the video.

Awesome! I can't wait to get on the track come spring. Great photos as well!

I know this is wicked late, but what event was this that you ran? And they allow a passenger in the car with you? When I did the extremespeed event, they wouldn't allow my brother-in-law to go with me.

OP
J
Thread Starter #13
I know this is wicked late, but what event was this that you ran? And they allow a passenger in the car with you? When I did the extremespeed event, they wouldn't allow my brother-in-law to go with me.
I track with NCRC, they do allow passengers after you do their driving school. I'll be at Thunderhill next week.