Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Laguna Seca 12/28/2014

Hey Everyone!

I was finally able to take my FiST out to Laguna Seca last weekend. It was a total Blast! For those that don't know I went out to Thunderhill on Dec 2 and had catastrophic brake failure. I completely ate through one whole set of brake pads (Wilwood's BP-20's) and lost my brakes going into Turn 1 at Thunderhill (100 mph turn). I toasted my rotors (backplates ate up the rotor surface) and melted some of the pistons in the calipers. After that event I rebuilt the calipers and got new Spec 37 GT rotors in preparation for Laguna. Instead of going with the weak BP20 compound, I went with the Polymatrix B compound that Todd over at TCE recommended. The pads worked GREAT, for about 2 sessions. After the end of the 2nd session my brake pedal was starting to get really soft and I started to get smearing again on the rotors. I sat the 3rd session out to let the brake system cool down, and I went out for my last 2 sessions (20 minute sessions).

The performance of the ST is superb! I had 3 guys a track that were genuinely surprised at the car's spunk. They each drove a e36 M3, e92 M3, and a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE package. My car would get lost at the straights between Turns 11-1 and 4-5, but in the corners in between I would catch right on up. There is some talk on here about the performance of the lowering springs, whether to go with them vs coilovers. With the Eibach springs, swaybars, and the Pierce Motorsport upper and 6 point lower braces, I have absolutely zero complaints. I have them mated up to my stock tires which are holding up greatly. I have about 6 autocross days, 2 full track days, and 6000 miles on the car and I have about 50% life left in the tires. I am really impressed with the stock tires.

Other than the brake pad issue, the day was amazing. I found out once I got back that I installed my calipers backwards. The bigger piston should be on the trailing end of the rotor, not on the front. This is what most likely caused a very accelerated tapered wear to the brake pads. I also have 2 leaky seals around the pistons. I ordered new seals and some more super blue brake fluid (not blue anymore), all in for preparation of my next track event. I also have a full set of OZ Formula HLT wheels coming in [wink] I spoke with Joe from 2JR and he recommended I use the Hawk DTC60 compound. I'll post a review of their performance after my next event.

For video I used a GoPro3 Black edition on a suction mount inside the car.

Obligatory Photos

Trackday Preview
[video=youtube;4lnL7C1Y6-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lnL7C1Y6-g[/video]

More Youtube Footage
[video=youtube_share;lkTv06cRzGM]http://youtu.be/lkTv06cRzGM[/video]

FocusMike

Great runs and thanks for the updated feedback on the Spec 37 GT rotors.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
[MENTION=1146]Joszer[/MENTION] did Joe mention if the Hawk DTC60 were okay for daily use as well?

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
[MENTION=1146]Joszer[/MENTION] did Joe mention if the Hawk DTC60 were okay for daily use as well?
He didn't mention it, but according to Hawks website they are the 2nd most aggressive compound in their whole line up. I wouldn't daily them. Generally with those super aggressive coupons you have to get heat into them to get them to perform. That amount of heat couldn't be generated on the street.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Looks real fun. I have never raced Laguna Seca, but I seem to know that track better than any other as many times as I have played it on Gran Turismo and Forza, lol.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
He didn't mention it, but according to Hawks website they are the 2nd most aggressive compound in their whole line up. I wouldn't daily them. Generally with those super aggressive coupons you have to get heat into them to get them to perform. That amount of heat couldn't be generated on the street.
Great, thank you.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have driven on Laguna Seca many times in my earlier days.
Motorcycles with sidecars.

Dave

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
Looks real fun. I have never raced Laguna Seca, but I seem to know that track better than any other as many times as I have played it on Gran Turismo and Forza, lol.
If you play forza 5 add me on xb live. My name is "joszer"