Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lateral G-Force Meters for testing new suspension

Magnetic

Hi All,

Does anyone know a reputable manufacturer or someone who sells a device that can measure lateral G-Forces? I want to take some measurements before I go on the suspension journey for comparison.

I'll be getting coilovers, sway bars, chassis braces and really would like to measure how much each upgrade helped with G-Force data.

Thanks in advance!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I recommend a wife or girlfriend (or husband or boyfriend) yelling at you from the passenger seat while you haul ass around a corner, higher volume equals higher lateral G-Force.
Seriously, I know there are G-Force meters, I'm not sure if they measure lateral acceleration. Car magazines provide a number for this when they test cars, so these devices obviously exist, I think the question would be whether they are affordable. There may well be a smartphone app that does it. I think it's a great idea to try to measure this objectively.

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I recommend a wife or girlfriend (or husband or boyfriend) yelling at you from the passenger seat while you haul ass around a corner, higher volume equals higher lateral G-Force.
Seriously, I know there are G-Force meters, I'm not sure if they measure lateral acceleration. Car magazines provide a number for this when they test cars, so these devices obviously exist, I think the question would be whether they are affordable. There may well be a smartphone app that does it. I think it's a great idea to try to measure this objectively.
No, the test gear that we used at Motor Trend to get those numbers were/are not affordable for the general public.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #6
Yeah I want to be able to see the gains by data VS just feeling the difference. I want to add a value to the data (money vs g's) so people can have a reference point.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #7
No, the test gear that we used at Motor Trend to get those numbers were/are not affordable for the general public.

I was wondering. I'm willing to spend $500 on one. I know that a lot of the new sports cars have one built in.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I was wondering. I'm willing to spend $500 on one. I know that a lot of the new sports cars have one built in.
This was 14 years ago now but we used Race-Pak gear for running lateral acceleration numbers at the track for lap times or the figure 8 test. We used a Stalker radar gun for acceleration and braking numbers and timing gear for the slalom numbers. I bought my own Race-Pak gear which at the time was about a grand but the one we used at Motor Trend was closer to 10k. Mine was the consumer version which didn't do as much. So yeah, much more expensive than consumer gear. I'm not sure about any of these newer devices and how accurate they are.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #10
This was 14 years ago now but we used Race-Pak gear for running lateral acceleration numbers at the track for lap times or the figure 8 test. We used a Stalker radar gun for acceleration and braking numbers and timing gear for the slalom numbers. I bought my own Race-Pak gear which at the time was about a grand but the one we used at Motor Trend was closer to 10k. Mine was the consumer version which didn't do as much. So yeah, much more expensive than consumer gear. I'm not sure about any of these newer devices and how accurate they are.

Thanks for the intel!

haste

1000 Post Club
https://www.racebox.pro/

Also Vbox and Dragy.

Looks like the racebox is pretty track specific but it does say you can create a "custom" track by creating your own splits. I don't see why you couldn't use it on a public road if you are measuring a couple different corners.

Ford Community Posts