Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1st Gear Lateral G Misalignment?

Rhinopolis

I feel like I have read where others might have described this before, but I do not know the correct way to search for the issue.

Basically and most every time that I pull away from a dead stop going left under aggressive throttle in 1st gear, the shifter misaligns and I can't catch 2cd.

I have to wait a minute, back off the throttle, and try again. It's very frustrating, and it happened to me yesterday when I was attempting to accelerate and merge in to traffic that was doing 75 mph +. So it's dangerous as well.....

Does anyone else experience this, and what might be the solution?

Thank you,

Ryan

MS67

The first thing that stands out to me is the amount of engine movement that takes place with the stock rear motor mount. Have you replaced this yet?

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #3
I have every mount replaced. RMM plus both the engine and transmission mounts.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Look at adjusting the shifter cables, I have not had to do mine so not sure what is involved, possible, etc....

Also look into shifter cable base mount bushings on the transaxle and on the shifter base in the console

I DIY my whole setup in 5 different areas so my results cannot be directly compared aftermarket, etc but I have incredibly precise shifting in my car.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #5
Look at adjusting the shifter cables, I have not had to do mine so not sure what is involved, possible, etc....

Also look into shifter cable base mount bushings on the transaxle and on the shifter base in the console

I DIY my whole setup in 5 different areas so my results cannot be directly compared aftermarket, etc but I have incredibly precise shifting in my car.
Would you happen to be traveling to Houston any time soon? Lol

I appreciate the pointers and I am going to check in to what you suggest. Everything works great until I give it a little too much go juice while making a left hander. ????????? Weird

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sounds like the cable it binding, if you have a short shifter at the trans take a look at the cables where they exit the housings at the cable mount.
It is possible there is a bit of movement in one direction, turning left in boost that adds up to a stiffness resistance you do not have the rest of the time.

I made my shifter a shorter throw than others I have seen and noticed the cables exit the housings at a sharp angle so I cut the housing mount and angled it better, rewelded, far better alignment now. I should of turned them more than I did, it seemed plenty but could of done a better job though working very well as is.

Any short shifter is going to cause the cable angle to be out of alignment and likely premature wear on them.

-----

It could be you are using the shifter as leverage to hold yourself in place a bit and not realizing it so take a look at that issue as well.

Technically we should only touch the shifter when time to shift, the rest of the time both hands on the wheel, that is for performance driving and for less wear on the whole system as we could be putting a load on parts of it and not realizing it. I know I have had the habit of that forever it seems and still have to remind myself at times, at least on track I do not do it:)

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #7
Mods - Please delete this thread if you like. I have been practicing and I've decided that it was my shifting technique that needed work. If I put more pressure toward the left side when upshiftg from 1st to 2cd, there's no issue.

For whatever reason, the 1st to 2cd upshift is the only shift that seems to require a more heavy handed effort. All other shifts (up or down) flow smoothly and are mostly effortless.

Well for me I know my syncro has gone out for 1st to 2nd gear gear. It's a known issue now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk