Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LCA Poly Bushings vs Chassis Brace

Would polyurethane lower control arm bushings act as an equivalent to having a control arm chassis brace?

Also, would adding a lower control arm chassis brace be noticeable if the lower control arm bushings were already replaced with polyurethane ones?

Thanks

Dpro

6000 Post Club
can you say that equivocally? Just asking because most people do the brace first and bushings second if they do the bushings. The bushings would diminish flex the same way the brace does. I only ask because no one has ever reported putting the bushings in before doing the brace and most have not even done bushings at all.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Poly bushings will diminish flex at that joint. The. Bracing will strengthen where that joint connects to. Most just do bracing because poly bushings do a lot to ruin the ride on an already stiffly sprung car. And the labor involved doesnt really pay in terms of results unless the car is over 20 years old or its going to be strictly a track car.

If you want to feel every road imperfection in your tailbone/prostate feel free to do poly bushings on a street car.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Poly bushings will diminish flex at that joint. The. Bracing will strengthen where that joint connects to. Most just do bracing because poly bushings do a lot to ruin the ride on an already stiffly sprung car. And the labor involved doesnt really pay in terms of results unless the car is over 20 years old or its going to be strictly a track car.

If you want to feel every road imperfection in your tailbone/prostate feel free to do poly bushings on a street car.
Exactly*

Dpro

6000 Post Club

see now I am not sure I agree with this point. As I have put poly bushings in other cars and it has not increased harshness. Plus we have already proven once can decrease the harness of our cars just by going to coilovers and taller sidewall tires.

My car rides like a dream because of that and still handles like a bat out of hell so having experience with a lot of cars over the years I just don’t buy your pat explanation. Also I was specifically asking Typhoon because I know he had not done both. lol

See if you said I have done it I would be more inclined to agree with you but neither of you have both of you have just put braces on so both of you are working of conjecture and not actual experience.
Come back and show me you have done and I will take your word for it . Otherwise you are speaking without true first hand knowledge.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Everyone's Experiences are different.....If I would do it all over again I would save myself the install and do something else instead of Poly bushings. The 2 point bar is bar far one of the Best felt and the cheapest of the Braces to do. I am still waiting for Ron on the Swave braces to come out. If you're doing coil overs...Technically you should be getting an alignment every time you change the settings. I don't want that..... that's why I chose Stock oem struts/shocks and Swift springs. One and Done....plus I live in an Environment where coilovers would just get beat to shit by the road chemicals they lay for snow and ice. I like the stock tire system...that's why I kept with stock size and wheels and they are cheap If they get damaged and need replacement.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
In the end to answer the members question. Do whatever you want.....If you wanna be quick and easy ...just get a brace. If you wanna try bushings go for it......or go balls out and order a brace Kit

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
see now I am not sure I agree with this point. As I have put poly bushings in other cars and it has not increased harshness. Plus we have already proven once can decrease the harness of our cars just by going to coilovers and taller sidewall tires.

My car rides like a dream because of that and still handles like a bat out of hell so having experience with a lot of cars over the years I just don’t buy your pat explanation. Also I was specifically asking Typhoon because I know he had not done both. lol

See if you said I have done it I would be more inclined to agree with you but neit

See if you said I have done it I would be more inclined to agree with you but neither of you have both of you have just put braces on so both of you are working of conjecture and not actual experience.
Come back and show me you have done and I will take your word for it . Otherwise you are speaking without true first hand knowledge.
You also live where the roads arent absolute shit from salt and snow. Like i said unless its a track toy, or extremely old, the labor involved with pressing out old bushings. ( or burning them out if you live in the midwest) isnt really worth the benefit. If youre constantly tearing control arm bushings at the track. Then it would be time to look for stronger stuff.