Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for best intercoolers

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So I'm done with my 93 tune. And the last revision saw charge temps increase 35 degrees over ambient on a single pull. I'm looking for the most efficient intercoolers you guys have found. If you guys have specs on pressure drops I'd love to hear it otherwise, temps on aftermarket big turbos after single pulls is what I'm going to use to average out the best options. I'm currently looking at atps garrett intercooler as a replacement but wanna know if there is anything else out there. Current big mods are 660 and cammed/built engine.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It really depends on how large you are willing to go. Are you looking for best that fits without a lot or any mods. 35 degrees over ambient is a lot I am not even seeing that with my Mountune bar and plate and S280. I have seen around 23 degrees over ambient max and usually see around 11-20. I am tuning with Adam at Tuneplus right now. I have a CPE Delta core waiting to go in but wanted to see how far I could get with the Mountune.
I think with the CPE I would probably see 5-15 over ambient max. There are other intercoolers out there it all depends do you want something that will probably block some radiator air flow . Are you wiling to go aftermarket crashbar to accommodate a bigger intercooler? There are a few different options also it can depend on how much you want to spend.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are other intercoolers out there it all depends do you want something that will probably block some radiator air flow.
CAREFUL with the above, since there are some vehement diehard, YUUUge IC fans on here who have lambasted me for even thinking of suggesting the very same possible issue. [thumbdown] [wink] LOFL

(Even though it makes perfect sense. [wink])

Last edited:
OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I am willing to go aftermarket crash bar. Adam is the one who informed me I'm getting that warm. Like I said I'm running a g25-660 at 25 psi. The bravo alpha has proven to be too inefficient. I think this has to do with the pressure drop causing the turbo to work harder for the same psi. In this instance I'm actually thinking a very good core, like those garret makes which have a .5 psi pressure drop would be very beneficial in this instance. My turbo is pushing more than 25 psi to get 25 psi causing a drastic increase in heat. I'm toying with 2 ideas. Either contract gates to make me a custom intercooler or I make a custom intercooler, I just suck at welding aluminum. I can get a Garrett core for around 400 dollars that would be more than sufficient and fit perfectly fine and then just fab the end tanks. Then again, I don't exactly have a lot of time lately and work has been very demanding so this would take me quite a while to get going. Currently I have other projects that are taking priority.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am willing to go aftermarket crash bar. Adam is the one who informed me I'm getting that warm. Like I said I'm running a g25-660 at 25 psi. The bravo alpha has proven to be too inefficient. I think this has to do with the pressure drop causing the turbo to work harder for the same psi. In this instance I'm actually thinking a very good core, like those garret makes which have a .5 psi pressure drop would be very beneficial in this instance. My turbo is pushing more than 25 psi to get 25 psi causing a drastic increase in heat. I'm toying with 2 ideas. Either contract gates to make me a custom intercooler or I make a custom intercooler, I just suck at welding aluminum. I can get a Garrett core for around 400 dollars that would be more than sufficient and fit perfectly fine and then just fab the end tanks. Then again, I don't exactly have a lot of time lately and work has been very demanding so this would take me quite a while to get going. Currently I have other projects that are taking priority.

Well I picked the Delta core specifically because they looked at lot of the efficiency stuff over at CPE there is a reason there are fins directing airflow in the end tanks. Thing is I am pushing more boost than you are on the S280. Of course we will see with the next datalogs I send him what he says about the Mountune as it is now I pushed 26.89 yesterday and thats when I saw 25.
The DMH might have suited you well as it had fins in its end tanks as well and was larger.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Well I picked the Delta core specifically because they looked at lot of the efficiency stuff over at CPE there is a reason there are fins directing airflow in the end tanks. Thing is I am pushing more boost than you are on the S280. Of course we will see with the next datalogs I send him what he says about the Mountune as it is now I pushed 26.89 yesterday and thats when I saw 25.
The DMH might have suited you well as it had fins in its end tanks as well and was larger.
I also think my goals are slightly different then yours as well. My goal is to build the fastest fiesta on the stock engine architecture. Of course I've had the block sleeved, forged internals and the lot but it's still the stock architecture. My goal is north of 500 whp. Currently I'm at 388 on pump without aux.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Also, those billet blocks are hella expensive. They have one I've seen on youtube that's 100 grand haha. Fuck that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well I picked the Delta core specifically because they looked at lot of the efficiency stuff over at CPE there is a reason there are fins directing airflow in the end tanks. Thing is I am pushing more boost than you are on the S280.
I am happy that at least someone thinks that the CP-E is enough IC for the S280 (IF I ever go that route in the future), and that the humongous ones that everyone else seems to think are an absolute for that app, are not necessary. [thumb]

It has to be more than 'enough' for my stock snail right now, no? (I have one sitting in my cellar waiting for the bumper cover to come off for other stuff, for an 'at the same time/all at once install'.)

Could you log your charge temps vs ambient over a 3 gear pull? And a single 3rd or 4th gear pull?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Could you log your charge temps vs ambient over a 3 gear pull? And a single 3rd or 4th gear pull?
I am not aware that the AP records ambient air temp I would have to check as it is its not in my datalog list or stuff to datalog I am datalogging charge air temp and that was running at roughly 7-17 degrees above ambient during one of my pulls because I remember how warm it was out as I take that into account. But the caveat of that datalog was it was a early revision off Base tune so I was only pulling 19-20lbs boost. I am about to datalog again shortly and now I am pulling down 26lbs plus of boost. So I will check it out and post it. This is with the Mountune bar and plate intercooler I might add.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
So no one's got any definitive answers on more efficient cores?

I am not aware that the AP records ambient air temp I would have to check as it is its not in my datalog list or stuff to datalog I am datalogging charge air temp and that was running at roughly 7-17 degrees above ambient during one of my pulls because I remember how warm it was out as I take that into account. But the caveat of that datalog was it was a early revision off Base tune so I was only pulling 19-20lbs boost. I am about to datalog again shortly and now I am pulling down 26lbs plus of boost. So I will check it out and post it. This is with the Mountune bar and plate intercooler I might add.

Yes, it measures ambient temp for a bunch of reasons that I forget at this moment.

Please report back or pm, whichever you like!

Sorry to hijack thread.

Last edited:

Se7eN

So no one's got any definitive answers on more efficient cores?
Not sure about more efficiency and your pushing a lot more power than what I push on a regular basis but I just run a Depo Intercooler and 15-20 max over ambient even in tropical weather on 26-27psi on 2860 and close to 29psi on E and never really got that much hotter. If I where to upgrade it'd be to a Whoosh V3 even though I'm not really sure if it actually makes a difference over a standard IC. From all I've read here I just wouldn't got with a BA. Mind you my normal ambient air is well above 80 degrees so I'm used to it being close or above 100 degrees of charge temps.

If you don't want to do something custom - the CP-E seems to be the consensus on this forum and is what I run.
CP-E is definitely a popular choice it seems. Word from a reliable source is the Whoosh V3 is a repackaged CP-E. So if you can catch one in stock you can save $100 or so.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
CP-E is definitely a popular choice it seems. Word from a reliable source is the Whoosh V3 is a repackaged CP-E. So if you can catch one in stock you can save $100 or so.
Not exactly . Whoosh V2 was like a repackaged CPE and Ron changed it because CP-E . The Whoosh V3 is the same size as the CPE but does not have Delta fin end tanks like the CPE.
That being said its a great intercooler for the money . It is less than the CP E cost wise as well.

Not exactly . Whoosh V2 was like a repackaged CPE and Ron changed it because CP-E . The Whoosh V3 is the same size as the CPE but does not have Delta fin end tanks like the CPE.
That being said its a great intercooler for the money . It is less than the CP E cost wise as well.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but what kind of end tanks are on the V3 then? I was under the impression Delta Fin would be a variant of core, not end tank.