Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low boost engine showing code P0246

Story begins with me purchasing an accessport tuner. I set everything up, load the tune and everything seemed to work but the car didn't really feel that much faster. Sure enough on the boost gauge the car would only go up to 6PSI. I flash back to stock and take it to a Ford Dealer. They confirmed the lack of power and read the same code as P0246 Wastegate Solenoid A High told me they were gonna order a new one. Yesterday morning they installedit and said I was good to go and as I was driving the car back home it still didn't feel right. I reinstalled the accessport and sure enough it's still boosting to around 6 PSI. I checked just about an hour ago to see if it was throwing a code and sure enough it's the same one that was supposedly corrected. I searched Google and there really isnt much info about this which is frustrating. More than likely I'm going to take it back but before I do I want to be able to look at it myself first so I have a few questions.

1. Where is the wastegate solenoid on the turbo?
2. Would there be a chance that an electrical connector to it wasn't plugged back in?
3. Would there be a chance that the wiring to it is faulty?
4. Is the wastegate itself bad?

Thanks for reading and I welcome all opinions on this issue.

Im not really answering any of your questions, but I do have a question about how this all started. you think the car was effected by the AP, or is this something that was wrong before you installed the AP?

I got my car into a somewhat of a limp mode last week and it was an absolute dog. the following morning it was back to normal.

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #3
Seeing how the car pretty much feels the same it did before I got the access port, I'm thinking that it shouldn't have anything to do with it. I flashed back to stock and it feels the same. I did think the same thought tho. Thanks for the response.

me32

1000 Post Club
Take it back in. Could be something else wrong. Or something as easy as loose clamps on the intercooler charge pipes.

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #9
Update: Took it to the dealer and they wouldn't touch it cause they found that it was still tuned which is odd cause I did unmarry the accessport before taking it there. Still might be something small like boost leak from one of the gaskets being loose or even a wiring issue. Perhaps did the accessport mess with something on the PCM somehow that controls the wastegate? I'm not that upset as if you alter anything on a car there is always a chance something can go wrong. Besides unplugging ground off the battery to reset the pcm any other ideas? Anything I can test myself?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Will the dealer now not touch it at all, going forward, even if you show up with it in totally stock/factory tune next time??
(i.e.; ONE strike and you're out?)

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #11
The service advisor told me to bring it back with the stock tune on it, but it already should be on stock as I uninstalled the accessport.

Did you try calling Cobb and see what they think? It seems weird that you would get 6psi of boost only. I would think a leak in the system would make it hard to even get that, but I am not sure. Maybe Cobb would swap out your AP, or you could try updating it on your computer, and reflash the car and see if that helps?

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #13
Did you try calling Cobb and see what they think? It seems weird that you would get 6psi of boost only. I would think a leak in the system would make it hard to even get that, but I am not sure. Maybe Cobb would swap out your AP, or you could try updating it on your computer, and reflash the car and see if that helps?
I'll give that a try. I'm the not original owner of the accessport so I wonder if that would complicate things. Well right around 6 PSI is wastegate spring pressure. So with the error code I'm getting, it checks out that the turbo would boost to that PSI. Since the part in question was replaced there has to be something with either the wiring or it could be a software issue that when the car reaches that PSI it's not letting the wastegate actuator operate properly. Odd thing was when I flashed the car, I never flashed the econ map which after looking at the description of it only allows the car to reach 6 PSI. I might try reflashing the accessport to see if that does anything. Maybe I might flash the econ map itself then flash another map? It's like throwing darts at a board at this point. I'll update if anything changes. I welcome more thoughts or suggestions.

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #14
Update: issue was the wire harness to the actuator was worn as if something gnawed at it. Is fix and the car is back to how it should be.

OP
NJFiST
Thread Starter #16
Glad you got it sorted. Did the dealer eventually take care of it or did you have to take it somewhere else?
Dealer I originally went to took care of it on goodwill since they didn't get it right the 1st time. Mighty nice of them.