Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lowered FiSTs & Winter time driving

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
To those who have Lowering springs on Stock or aftermarket Shock/Struts.....what issues do you encounter in Winter time driving?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is not helpful, but seems in scope.

I don't have lowering springs on stock suspension, but I do have KW V1 coilovers about 1in lower than stock. I also have Blizzak WS80 tires on 16in rims.

I find getting moving in deep snow (above the bumper or anything low hanging) can be problematic as you have a lot more to push. Just keep momentum up and all works great!

I would hesitate to drive it to the Upper Peninsula, or ND/SD/Colorado in a snow storm. I have had no issues as long as the Blizzak tires are on in up to 6 in of snow

This pic is from one of the January snow storms in 2018 in the Twin Cities.

1610050799672.png

Edited to change date to January

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Sorry if this is not helpful, but seems in scope.

I don't have lowering springs on stock suspension, but I do have KW V1 coilovers about 1in lower than stock. I also have Blizzak WS80 tires on 16in rims.

I find getting moving in deep snow (above the bumper or anything low hanging) can be problematic as you have a lot more to push. Just keep momentum up and all works great!

I would hesitate to drive it to the Upper Peninsula, or ND/SD/Colorado in a snow storm. I have had no issues as long as the Blizzak tires are on in up to 6 in of snow

This pic is from one of the January snow storms in 2018 in the Twin Cities.

View attachment 37450

Edited to change date to January
You are brave! I won't push anything, if the snow is above the bumper line the fiesta stays in the garage

I daily my car up here in Alaska. Last year I was running Swifts/B6s, and it was ok but my pierce 2 point was dragging all the time on various piled snow, ice ridges, etc. I now run Fortune 500s during the summer and swapped to the stock springs for the winter, but think I'll get a beater Subie for winter daily/ice racing. I don't want to swap suspension twice a year.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
For me it was dragging the subframe brace on everything with my old pierce 6 point and an eibach spring setup. Snow would pile up and jam the rear wheels too. And banging it super loudly on ice chunks. ( one did crack my evap canister thing. So i got new and skid plated it)
Back on stock 17 springs and dampers on my 16 and i barely drag my dna 2 point front brace. We'll see what deep snow does this year.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Having lived in Milwaukee and Now Cleveland, my FiST has seen 5 winters so far. With a good set of winter tires, its pretty tough to stop.

My biggest issue is that the road salt does a pretty rough job on coilovers. My Bilsteins are looking kind of hagrid. I spray metal protectant on the perch threads occasionally to help prevent oxidation.

Something to consider for those running coilovers in winter - you run the risk of the adjustable perches seizing