Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAPerformance Intake R&D, Results, and Information

maperformance

Intake testing and R&D

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE!

I will be updating this thread in the next couple of hours, so put a ratchet strap around your head to keep your mind from blowing.

First up is the R&D of the intake. I unfortunately didn't get many pictures during the R&D process, however I will share what I have.

We made many different variations of our intake, but it ended up being between the long and the shorty intake. After testing we decided to stick with the shorty and I will layout in detail, why.

Here are some pictures of some of the first intake (long) being fabbed up:

Long intake all tacked up for fitment

Showing the mounting point we were thinking of using

All welded up and fitted

The mounting point was a concern of mine as it wasn't very sturdy, and I didn't like how close the filter was to the ground. The Fiesta doesn't have a large splash shield like other vehicles, so the chance of hitting a puddle and bringing in some water was a factor in our decision.

Other companies on the market include a rear intake pipe as well that drops down to the turbo inlet. We decided to do the same, but were very fond of the factory unit. It is smooth, and has the proper transition from 2.5" to 2" that you would never be able to obtain with a fabricated piece. We fab'd up the rear section, and did some testing with it as well. Here are some pictures:

Here you can see the whole intake system in place

And here is the fitment with the factory engine cover

Now, the shorty intake. This is the final product intake that we decided on. I didn't take any pictures of it being put together as I was out of town, but is fairly simple you can capture all features in the final product pictures. Ignore the dark spots on the pipe, that has something to do with the photoboot we take pictures in. All of our products are clean silver and are cleaned multiple times during the production process. If it was actually "dark" it wouldn't weld beautifully like you can see.

I will have final installed pictures added later, I have everything off the car right now for intercooler testing :(. There is a picture below of it installed during testing, but nothing up close.

Results, here we go!

All intakes were tested on the same day, all within an hour of each other. Temperature was as close to each other as possible, but there are going to be +/- 1-2° variations because we have an extreme ventilation system in our dyno cell that can make the temperature fluctuate depending on how long it has been on.

Baseline. This is a completely stock fiesta, with stock intake. As always, I do all my testing with a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune file to keep consistency.

Dyno:

Data:

Dyno: 192.14hp | 252.47tq
Ambient Temperature: 72.9°
Peak Boost: 22.25psi
Intake Temperature: Min 81° | Max 84.2° | Average 82.57°

Long intake results. Again, stock car with our intake only.

Dyno:

Data:

Dyno: 198.87hp | 255.81tq
Ambient Temperature: 70°
Peak Boost: 22.45psi
Intake Temperature: Min 96° | Max 113° | Average 103.1°

So this intake made some power (+6.73hp | +3.34tq) which is great, but if you take a look at the intake temperatures over the factory intake you can see they start off 15° hotter than the factory intake, and end up at 28.8° hotter at the end of the run. This is not acceptable to us, so this forced us to go back to the drawing board and re-design the intake. Which lead us to the shorty intake....

Shorty intake results and data

Dyno:

Data:

Dyno: 199.57hp | 254.16tq
Ambient Temperature: 70°
Peak Boost: 22.42psi
Intake Temperature: Min 82° | Max 86.5° | Average 83.97°

Here are a few more dataplots of all the intakes laid over

You can see above on the boost plot that the shorty intake spooled the fastest out of all the intakes (Green). The Stock intake was second (Red), and the long intake was slowest spool (Blue).

Summary on this guy. MUCH BETTER. You can see the ambient temperatures are very close to the factory intake, and if you take a look at the second from last data plot above you can see that the intake temperatures dropped during the pull and ended cooler than it started. This is exactly what we were looking for. Sometimes following industry standards of shoving the filter down as far as you can in the engine bay isn't the answer.

Features:
- Constructed of 304SS
- USA Made Green Filter (Washable)
- 100% Tig Welded with Back Purge
- Mounts to engine to allow the intake to move together in sequence with engine
- Billet CNC MAF flange mounted under intake for a cleaner look
- 100% Direct fit (3/8" Push on fitting will be added to the final shipped product)
- Lifetime Warranty

Price: $189.99 shipped

I will be putting together the product page today so everyone can purchase. It will also be available in wrinkle black which I will update with pictures as soon as the intake gets back from powdercoating. Wrinkle black will be an additional $35.00.

ETA for Raw version of our intake is 7-10 business days, and black will be 14-17 business days.

If you have any questions please post up! I will reply when I can as I'm going to start on the post for Intercooler testing and release.

*WHOOPS FORGOT ONE BIT OF INFO! The second pipe that we developed in the above thread will not be offered. It provided zero gains and increase the air intake temperatures because it runs directly over the exhaust manifold*

EDIT, HERE ARE SOME MORE PICTURES OF THE INTAKE INSTALLED!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE!

Etyrnus

Need to see if this can get squeezed into the budget over the next few paychecks...or I may end up waiting until tax time...

Anyone care to explain how this compares to others on the market?
What are the pros and cons of this unit vs ...
How about sound... Does it sound like a injen ?

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #14
I'll have a sound video and installed pictures within the next few days. I'm just working on getting the last of the products up now.

Looks like we sold 3 of these intakes today on the website. THANK YOU!

Ordering one currently. Love the fact that you have posted so much information about this intake. You guys seem pretty open and supportive, so you've got my money. Hopefully I will be ordering a cat-back from you as well by the end of October.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #17
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I am a huge fan of product testing, I hate it when a company just comes out and just says "makes 5whp, here ya go".

cgriffin

With the shorty intake is there any reason to worry that water will splash up into the filter? I know with the longer version that would obviously be a concern as you mentioned. But that's the only thing that's keeping me from committing to this intake! I wanna get rid of my Injen for this so bad I can taste it lol

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #20
With the shorty intake is there any reason to worry that water will splash up into the filter? I know with the longer version that would obviously be a concern as you mentioned. But that's the only thing that's keeping me from committing to this intake! I wanna get rid of my Injen for this so bad I can taste it lol
Definitely not, I actually have driven it in rain on multiple occasions especially a huge downpour when I was visiting Dallas a month ago. No issues!