Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP exhaust is loud

As I've seen in other posts, the MBRP exhaust is just too loud. I'm thinking of welding in a resonator to quiet it down.

Has anyone tried this and can't say if this works well or not. Or if there's another direction I should go down.

Thanks

Dialcaliper

As I've seen in other posts, the MBRP exhaust is just too loud. I'm thinking of welding in a resonator to quiet it down.

Has anyone tried this and can't say if this works well or not. Or if there's another direction I should go down.

Thanks
The loudest exhaust available short of straight pipe is unsurprisingly loud. That’s primarily what the MBRP is for, that and being cheap.

The MBRP has an upstream resonator already, but no actual muffler. Hence the loud. It would be pretty trivial to pick your muffler of choice and weld or even clamp it on if you had to.

Do you already have the MBRP on your car and trying to quiet it down, or are you thinking of buying it and modifying it? Hard to tell from your post. If the last one is the case, by the time you buy the MBRP and also a nice sounding muffler that isn’t a piece of junk, you could buy a better quality, less-loud and better sounding exhaust that is actually made of stainless.

OP
Chrisk22
Thread Starter #3
The loudest exhaust available short of straight pipe is unsurprisingly loud. That’s primarily what the MBRP is for, that and being cheap.

The MBRP has an upstream resonator already, but no actual muffler. Hence the loud. It would be pretty trivial to pick your muffler of choice and weld or even clamp it on if you had to.

Do you already have the MBRP on your car and trying to quiet it down, or are you thinking of buying it and modifying it? Hard to tell from your post. If the last one is the case, by the time you buy the MBRP and also a nice sounding muffler that isn’t a piece of junk, you could buy a better quality, less-loud and better sounding exhaust that is actually made of stainless.
My bad, yes I have the MBRP exhaust and I bought it not doing my research on how loud it is. I've had it for years now but am getting sick of the drone so I'm ready to make a solution.

My main question would be is it worth welding in a muffler or res or should I just look to another exhaust and if so which exhaust is good for sound but not too loud.

Do you still have your stock exhaust? One popular option is to remove the resonator and keep the muffler; didn't try it myself but apparently that makes it sufficiently louder for a lot of folks.

Dialcaliper

One note that should be added to all this. On a stock turbo car, the stock exhaust is not particularly restrictive, so the only reason to upgrade it is purely for sound/entertainment value.

Not sure what your setup is, but if you’re just looking for performance and want something as quiet as the stock exhaust, putting it back to stock is not a bad option.

Otherwise, from what I’ve heard the best “don’t wake the neighbors” exhaust option for 3””
is the Thermal R&D.

For 2.5”, which are inherently less noisy, I can also recommend the Flowmaster, which the PO installed on my car. More on the “budget” side, but still 409 stainless. Surprisingly mellow tone that doesn’t bother the wife and kids, 80dB in the cabin. It does have a bit of drone in a 200RPM band around 3000-3200 RPM, but that’s generally above cruise speed unless you’re doing 80-85mph

Thermal is probably the best engineered to reduce drone. Others have recommended the Cobb, but I haven’t heard one in person.